Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Has anyone installed a Fumoto drain valve on an Onan 12.5 KW?

I am ready to do my first oil change and want to install a Fumoto drain valve, but can't find the correct size for the 12.5 KW Onan. I email Fumoto and they said it can be any of three sizes. I know the Cummins 450 take the F 104 and I would like to order both of them at the same time. Does anyone know the correct size for our generator?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Not to hijack your thread Chuck but heads up new Entegra owners. I recently changed the oil on my 12.5kw Onan in my new Anthem. I am a serious tool owner/user. The drain plug was evidently installed with an impact wrench. I tried various sockets and wrench combos and could not budge that bolt. I was afraid I might round the head or break it. In the end I used a six point short impact socket (22mm I think)on a 3 foot long breaker bar and when the bolt finally gave in it did so with a loud "crack". Installed with waaaayyy too much torque.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
WDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
Not to hijack your thread Chuck but heads up new Entegra owners. I recently changed the oil on my 12.5kw Onan in my new Anthem. I am a serious tool owner/user. The drain plug was evidently installed with an impact wrench. I tried various sockets and wrench combos and could not budge that bolt. I was afraid I might round the head or break it. In the end I used a six point short impact socket (22mm I think)on a 3 foot long breaker bar and when the bolt finally gave in it did so with a loud "crack". Installed with waaaayyy too much torque.

I'm having the local Cummins shop service mine Onan tomorrow ... will give them a heads up and report back on the experience ... the loud crack would make a novice like me afraid I broke it.

Probably a stupid question but why do you need to install a Fumoto drain valve? Doesn't the Onan have a means of draining the oil?

How's that for getting the thread back on topic :-)
WDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Not hijacking the thread Dave, a good heads up. I had the same thing on the Travel Supreme when it was new, the oil filter was just as bad. I finally had to punch a hole in the filter and use a bar to get it off. Thanks for the heads up, I will see if I have a six sided 22mm socket, I only go up to 19mm here at the house. It's on my list to check at the hanger tomorrow. Thanks.

Hopefully I can find the right size Fumoto valve and never have to worry about the drain plug again.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:05 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
The Fumoto Valve is just that, a valve, that replaces the plug that is installed by Onan. Using a lever and not a wrench to open and close it makes it much easier to drain the oil, with much less mess.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
With a Fumoto valve you just flip a lever to drain the oil. I drain mine in the empty jugs from the last oil change. No mess, no drain pan, I don't even get my hands dirty. Screw the cap on the jug and drop it off at Walmart on my way home. With a Fumoto valve I can change the oil faster than I can drive down to a service center. I have them on all of my vehicles except the Lexus. They make changing the engine oil a walk in the park. Fumoto USA | Quick and Easy Engine Oil Drain Valves
Old 07-07-2014, 07:38 PM   #7
WDE

Thanks guys. I really don't know much about engines. When my BMW gets close to the warrantee date swap it for a new one.

Makes a lot of sense to put a valve on the drain ... Why is this not an OEM part?
WDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:04 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE View Post
. Why is this not an OEM part?
My guess is cost. Dealers don't like people installing them as it makes changing the oil so easy they loose service business.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:22 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
No one using Fumotos? I guess I will stop at Cummins today and see if they can give me the drain plug thread size. If I do find the correct size I will post the Fumoto valve number if anyone is interested.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:32 AM   #10

Thanks I am interested
Fasteddie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Drain plug tread size would be the same for both the 450 HP and 600 HP cummins engines correct?

Sent from my iPhone
Curtisgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:36 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
One would/might think so but there is no absolute guarantee. It's always best to check.

TeJay
Old 07-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtisgeiger View Post
Drain plug tread size would be the same for both the 450 HP and 600 HP cummins engines correct?
Sent from my iPhone
The Cummins engines takes the F104 Fumoto valve. It is the Onan generator that does not have the thread size listed, it can be one of 3.

I called Cummins this morning and they also do NOT list a thread sized for the drain plug only the drain plug wrench size. Bill in FL and I have been discussing this and he has an Onan mobile mechanic coming to his MH to do his first oil change. He was sharp enough to purchase the metric size nut at the hardware store listed for the Fumoto valve and is going to check it when the mechanic pulls the drain plug. Hopefully an answer will be available tomorrow. THANKS Bill!
Old 07-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtisgeiger View Post

Sent from my iPhone
The Aspire has a 10K compared to 12.5K on the Anthem and Cornerstone but I was told by Ted Cook that they all share the exact same engine (Kubota I believe) so they should all have the same size drain plug.
oneal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, onan