Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Has anyone tried anything like this for Girard awning lights?

Many have stated that the factory installed Girard awning LED's are too bright. Has anyone tried anything like this for dimming the factory LED's?
12V RF Wireless Remote Switch Controller Dimmer for Mini LED Strip Light S | eBay

I am going to check tomorrow and see if I can see how the LED's are wired and if this would work.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #2

Chuck, I'm building my own controller that will dim the leds and other lights using exisiting wiring. I don't want another remote floating around. It would be nice if they gave us dimming on all the switches though.

Tom
2014 Anthem 44DLQ
taraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:15 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
It would be nice if we had dimming on all switches. Have you looked at the awning wiring yet and can a remote like this be connected in line? The remote I would mount in the basement next to the awning remote.

What type of controller are you building?
Old 07-19-2014, 08:05 AM   #4

The controller I'm building will allow me to dim/on/off any of the lights/devices that are controlled from the spyder panel using the existing switches and no running of wires. You can find the awning lights wire, it will be the orange one behind fuse 59.

Tom
2014 Anthem 44DLQ
Old 07-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by taraf View Post
The controller I'm building will allow me to dim/on/off any of the lights/devices that are controlled from the spyder panel using the existing switches and no running of wires. You can find the awning lights wire, it will be the orange one behind fuse 59.

Tom

2014 Anthem 44DLQ

So what button will you push to actually dim the lights?

Curt

Sent from my iPhone
Curtisgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #6

Curt,
To dim the lights you will use the same button, so, for example, when you turn the light on and you want to dim it, just turn it off then on again within 1 second and it will drop to the next dim level. There will be 5 dim levels, 100%, 80%, 60%, etc. This way you use the existing switches and get the dimming you want, and it remembers the last dim setting you had. The module will fit right behind the spyder panel.

Tom
2014 Anthem 44DLQ
Old 07-19-2014, 10:21 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I checked the light wiring this morning and I can see no reason the above dimmer would not work. The awning LED wiring is easily accessible and the dimmer transmitter would tuck up nicely inside of the awning housing. Wrapping it with some rescue tape would help waterproof it.

I will order one and install it with spade connectors. If it doesn't work, easy to remove the transmitter and plug the light wires back in without re-splice any wires.

While I was up there, I took Dusty56 suggestion to silicone both ends of the LED lights. There is about 2 inches of room at the rear for movement. At 70 MPH and I can see where that could cause the LED's to fail. I used brown caulking and it doesn't even show. I also noticed that the rear awning box was not sealed and a blue light was shinning through. The one in the photo is sealed and the rear one is now as well. Glad I got up there this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-19 09.15.11.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	68388   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-19 09.15.25.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	68389  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-19 10.47.07.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	68390  
Old 07-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Curt,
To dim the lights you will use the same button, so, for example, when you turn the light on and you want to dim it, just turn it off then on again within 1 second and it will drop to the next dim level. There will be 5 dim levels, 100%, 80%, 60%, etc. This way you use the existing switches and get the dimming you want, and it remembers the last dim setting you had. The module will fit right behind the spyder panel.

Tom
2014 Anthem 44DLQ
Sounds good Tom, can you share the details of your design with us? I have other lighting circuits I'd like to dim (like the kitchen counter), but also don't want any more remotes.

Thanks, Rob
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Curt,

Tom

2014 Anthem 44DLQ

Tom

Would like to know more about this once installed and tested in your coach.

Would like to able to dim a number of lights including the awning lights.

Thanks

Curt

Sent from my iPhone
Curtisgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Dimming can also be accomplished by reprogramming the spyder Can Bus matrix. This would require Firefly to get involved or give out info. So far my initial contact hasn't been all that successful on get info to control other aspects of the Spyder Can Bus.
Whitewater18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:47 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Joe, I also found Firefly a little secretive when I wanted my shades re-programmed so they all didn't go up or down at the same time. There is only so much they will consider doing after a coach has been built. JMO.

I orderd a couple of the dimmers today since I haven't seen anything posted that was working or had been tried.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:16 AM   #12

Sure, I'll post the results once I finish building the circuit and installed and tested.

Tom
2014 Anthem 44DLQ
Old 07-20-2014, 07:27 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Sure, I'll post the results once I finish building the circuit and installed and tested.

Tom
2014 Anthem 44DLQ
I will look forward to seeing that.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewater18 View Post
Dimming can also be accomplished by reprogramming the spyder Can Bus matrix. This would require Firefly to get involved or give out info. So far my initial contact hasn't been all that successful on get info to control other aspects of the Spyder Can Bus.
Talked to Leon Bontrager at Firefly a few weeks back. The CAN bus for the Spyder panel is supposedly using the RV-C protocol.

According to Leon there are different versions of the Spyder panels that have different capabilities.

Also according to Leon, Firefly primarily deals with OEM's but will sometimes work with retail customers. I asked for a lighting only system that could be controlled from a tablet and he gave me pricing of about $1200 for the hardware and $400 for the install. Unfortunately it won't really do what I want (lighting "scenes", thermostat control and access from anywhere via the web).

Silverleaf does some RV-C work (also OEM) and has some basic control apps available, at least for Android. Has anyone talked to them? I'm sure there is a lot more to it, but that "network" port on the Spyder panel must have some useful purpose.

Rob
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, lights