Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2022, 08:29 PM   #1

Heading into Colder Climates

We are heading to Sugar Mountain in N.C. next week and temps will be well below freezing. Being Floridians, this will be our first trip with our 2021 Anthem into freezing temps and snow. Any recommendations? I am thinking I should set the Bay Thermostat to 70F, and turn on Heated Floors to 72F.

I picked up a heated water hose as the campground has full hookups. I also have a water softener and water filter that I usually just leave out near the water spigot but with temps so low freezing is most likely. Not sure what to do about this?

For those that travel into colder climates what precautions and suggestions would you have, this is new territory for us.
Cr8havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2022, 09:17 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
We just spent a week dry camping with nightly low temps of 15 degrees and daily highs around 35. Brutally cold wind chills but toasty warm inside. We keep our bay set at 70 and the temp down there can get down to high 40’s. Floors are set at 74.

When not dry camping I’ve never used a heated hose. Just use tank water with pump and then just fill when you get low and pull your hose back in.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr8havoc View Post
We are heading to Sugar Mountain in N.C. next week and temps will be well below freezing. Being Floridians, this will be our first trip with our 2021 Anthem into freezing temps and snow. Any recommendations? I am thinking I should set the Bay Thermostat to 70F, and turn on Heated Floors to 72F.

I picked up a heated water hose as the campground has full hookups. I also have a water softener and water filter that I usually just leave out near the water spigot but with temps so low freezing is most likely. Not sure what to do about this?

For those that travel into colder climates what precautions and suggestions would you have, this is new territory for us.

I would fill my Fresh Water Tank before departure. If the freezing temps last awhile, a heated hose won't help if the park happens to shut down the water supply.

Tim
Old 01-28-2022, 11:08 PM   #4

I've spent enough time in cold weather to have learned to keep a full tank of diesel and fresh water. If you have to run your generator you'll want plenty of fuel and your Aquahot will certainly guzzle it up. You don't say how long you'll be in these temps but if it's for more than a week or so I would also add a quart of anti gell to the fuel tank and don't forget to plug in your engine block heater. Bring in your water hose between fill ups when the air temp is approaching freezing and most of all..

Have a great time!

John
2015 44b
jmorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 05:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB673 View Post
I would fill my Fresh Water Tank before departure. If the freezing temps last awhile, a heated hose won't help if the park happens to shut down the water supply.

Tim
This is what I suggest. That and a full tank of diesel before you park.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 06:27 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Having lived in Co for many years, and have done my share cold weather RV'ing It is much easier to use water from the water tank than using a heated hose to put cold water into the MH. Tank water will be much warmer from the basement heat and will use less fuel to heat the water for showers, etc. Other are giving good advise.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 06:39 AM   #7

It's heading down to the 20's here in Tampa tonight. I am filling my tank and pulling my hose in for the duration. Glad I'm not home in new england
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:47 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
It's heading down to the 20's here in Tampa tonight. I am filling my tank and pulling my hose in for the duration. Glad I'm not home in new england
Down here in the banana belt we will only get down to 36. I might even put on long pants.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 11:12 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Done plenty of camping in the cold, with 4F as lows sometimes, highs in the 20s.

Full fuel
Full water
Full propane
Add a gallon of antifreeze to both waste tanks, even if heater. Do this when they are empty. Trying to get antifreeze into the tank drain areas.
Don't operate with city water connection, take out hose and refill water tank as needed.
Leave some slides in if possible, they are not insulated as well as the rest of the RV frequently.
Park where you may get some sun on a long side if possible.
Make sure batteries are fully charged
If engine is diesel you may need to use a winter fuel blend or use proper cold weather additive. Diesel fuel can gel in cold temps in the tank and lines, no way to start to it, until it warms up. I know all too well. Stations in the sun belt may never even heard of winter blend.
Make sure any heated compartments with water stay warm
We set thermostats to upper 60s and wear warm clothes. Greatly reduces the rate you burn thru fuel.
Use rugs on the floor
At night put some pillows, blankets, etc in stair well. That is commonly a very cold spot. This could be a safety issue if emergency exit is required. I add about 3" pink foam board on the outside of our step well.
Use some kind of added insulation on your windows at night.
If a MH try to block off the front cab area from the main part of the house. Those front windows are single pane and lots of cold comes in from them.

Have fun!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 11:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr8havoc View Post

Just curious, why 70 in the basement - water freezes at 32 then just barely, When we would stay in cold weather we generally used the electric element of the HH for heat worked fine even in very cold weather - space heaters - we would use the electric on the HH to take care of the basement , then when we went to bed it was quiet - the Exhaust from the HH makes a lot of noise and INHO might wake you when it cycles, so just a thought.

We like most have tried the heated water hose - we were quick to just use the Tank - as it usually will last us three days with normal use - then we dumped and refilled Never Leaving a Hose out. Simple, works, just makes life easy. Tuck all the extras into the Wet Bay so they don't Freeze

Lot of good advice here - so just do what's Easy - JMHO - the coach will do fine, and it might be smart to check out the HH to be sure everything is working correctly, before you get there and need it.

Best of luck, let us know what and how you do.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Lot of good advice here - so just do what's Easy - JMHO - the coach will do fine, and it might be smart to check out the HH to be sure everything is working correctly, before you get there and need it.

Best of luck, let us know what and how you do.
Great advice!! I set basement to 70 and inside plus floors to 72 to make sure it all worked over the course of 3 days. I will pack a few electric heaters as suggested and use one for the bays and one in the BR. We have the 44B so there is an electric Fireplace which will be on. The campground is year-round so I can add water to my tank as needed. I try to keep about 25 gallons of water (any lower and they low water warning comes on). Thanks to all and I will let you know how it went.
Cr8havoc is offline   Reply With Quote