Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2022, 08:06 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Headlights on - rear camera can't be shut off

I have an issue with my 2014 Entegra Anthem - My headlights turn on the rear camera on the top monitor. The camera cannot be turned off as long as the headlights are on. The mode switch on the Xcite unit has no effect, the camera takes full control of the display. When I shut the Xcite off it restarts automatically with the rear camera on, as long as the headlights are on. The bottom monitor responds as it should, I can turn the camera on or off, but the top monitor is "possessed" by the rear camera as long as the headlights are on. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was done to rectify ? Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2022, 08:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowGo View Post
I have an issue with my 2014 Entegra Anthem - My headlights turn on the rear camera on the top monitor. The camera cannot be turned off as long as the headlights are on. The mode switch on the Xcite unit has no effect, the camera takes full control of the display. When I shut the Xcite off it restarts automatically with the rear camera on, as long as the headlights are on. The bottom monitor responds as it should, I can turn the camera on or off, but the top monitor is "possessed" by the rear camera as long as the headlights are on. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what was done to rectify ? Thanks in advance.

Reset your salesman switch by the door. This will reset the computer and probably fix the problem.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:13 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
Reset your salesman switch by the door. This will reset the computer and probably fix the problem.
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the salesman switch ?
Old 07-26-2022, 08:19 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

That's the master 12 volt house power disconnect switch. Push it to kill all of the 12 volt house power. Push it again to turn it back on. There's usually a red light next to it.

Some people call it a salesman switch because salesman never bother to turn it off after showing a unit on a dealer lot , which causes the batteries go go dead if left on.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 08:34 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
That's the master 12 volt house power disconnect switch. Push it to kill all of the 12 volt house power. Push it again to turn it back on. There's usually a red light next to it.

Some people call it a salesman switch because salesman never bother to turn it off after showing a unit on a dealer lot , which causes the batteries go go dead if left on.
I suspected that was the switch, but thanks for clarifying. I like the nickname.

I will give that a try. Thanks again
Old 07-28-2022, 08:05 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
Dave&Ginny,

Well, turning the salesman switch off overnight then back on the next day made no difference.

I will do more testing but at this point as soon as the markers or headlights come on the back up camera takes takes possession of the Xcite and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

Powering the Xcite off and on with headlights or markers on causes it to boot up with the Entegra logo, etc., then go back into rear camera display.

By turning the Xcite display on first, then markers, the Xcite display backlighting dims, then goes to rear camera.

Earlier we had Xcite provide a new Rand McNally card so the new maps would fit. I do not know if there is Xcite system related software on the card, I may see if checking for an update, then processing the update (if available) will make any difference.

Perplexing and frustrating.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:57 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
You could remove the SD card, but I doubt if that will have anything to do with the problem. Sounds more like a wiring or control module problem. Might check with Firefly to see if they have experienced a situation like yours with another customer. That is going to be a hard one to trace down.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:43 AM   #8

Not sure we have the same OEM head unit, but with the headlights off;
1) are you able to enter the menu for the system?

2) does the camera come on with the drive lights as well?

Maybe some one knows for sure, and can clarify, but the Spartan Control Module (SCM) controls a lot of things I was not aware of. Itís the box in the compartment under the drivers seat.
Maybe call Spartan and ask if their SCM interacts with what you are experiencing. Hopefully, they say no. That would be a biggie to eliminate in your troubleshooting.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 07:00 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowGo View Post

Some people have setup their cameras to do this so they can turn on the rear camera when they want. There are a couple of ways it can be set, first is in the setup of the camera or the head unit. Look to see what the triggers are for the rear camera in the menu. If that looks normal or there's no option, then check to see if the camera is coming on with the light circuit. You need to find the wire and switch it to the reverse lights instead. It should be coming into the back of your monitor. If you don't want it to come on with either, just pull the wire. We have two monitors and I have one set to switch with the turn signals and the other to show me the rear camera. That way it lets me see if my toad is clear when I want to change lanes. Lots of ways to configure them. Newer units can be switched in the menu. Older units need to have the wires plugged into the circuit you want the camera on with.
Old 07-29-2022, 08:15 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
Some people have setup their cameras to do this so they can turn on the rear camera when they want. There are a couple of ways it can be set, first is in the setup of the camera or the head unit. Look to see what the triggers are for the rear camera in the menu. If that looks normal or there's no option, then check to see if the camera is coming on with the light circuit. You need to find the wire and switch it to the reverse lights instead. It should be coming into the back of your monitor. If you don't want it to come on with either, just pull the wire. We have two monitors and I have one set to switch with the turn signals and the other to show me the rear camera. That way it lets me see if my toad is clear when I want to change lanes. Lots of ways to configure them. Newer units can be switched in the menu. Older units need to have the wires plugged into the circuit you want the camera on with.
Dizcom,

This is very helpful, thank you.

My cameras work as you have described, EXCEPT when the markers / headlights are on.

I like the set up as you have described. Just wish I could preserve this set up when the markers / headlights are turned on.

I will check any available options regarding triggers for turning the camera on, but I have poked around in the menu looking for other things and I don't recall anything.

We recently bought this coach used, barely used at all with less than 10k miles on it and the interior as as new. I am still going through it stem to stern to test everything. I only recently drove it with the headlights on, while headed to a Spartan service center to get some recalls done (previous owner wasn't diligent about that).

So wiring may be a possibility, hope it's not the head unit, as we just recently got the new Rand McNally card $$$

Tags
camera, headlight, headlights, light, lights, rear