Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2015, 10:29 AM   #1

Heat in wet bay while driving

I have a 2015 Anthem. With the basement area warm before driving as well as the wet bay, as soon as I start driving, the temperature in the wet bay drops. Eventually, it'll good about five degrees above ambient... That's it.

I even have an extra Electric heater running on 750 watts in the wet bay itself, and still five degrees above ambient.

The basement area is hotter than a sauna, the coach inside is warm. Heat outlet in basement is pumping out heat. It's the wet bay that seems to be leaking heat like crazy when in motion.

As soon as I stop, the temp rises slowly.

I know all of this because I have a wireless remote temp sensor hanging on the back wall of the wet bay.

In other words, if it's below 32 outside, I freeze up in the wet bay while driving.

Is anyone else having this issue?. Or, can others out there maintain wet bay temps above freezing while driving?. When stationary, no problem.

Keep in mind, I'm even running an extra electric space heater back there while driving and no dice.

This is probably the number one reason I bought this coach. In order to drive and use waterworks while in motion in winter.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
derba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2015, 11:26 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I can't answer your question, but it seems to me that driving with an electric heater running in the basement is dangerous.

You say the rest of the basement is a sauna so I assume that you are running the basement heat, yes? Instead of an electric heater I would look into installing a fan that would circulate air from the basement into the wet bay, with a return vent so that air could circulate in a continuous loop.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:34 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
There's a chance some of your door seals are leaking allowing airflow. I've never thought of measuring the temp down there while driving. Have you moved your sensor around? Meaning are all of the bay's very cold, or just the front ones or rear ones? I also know there are some pretty big passages in and around the frame. Perhaps they didn't seal those well with foam at the factory.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:34 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
not familiar with your coach but on mine I put in pink Styrofoam cut to size and tried to seal any of the holes that let in or out air. I am still tying to figure a way to run an air line to the area for heat from the main trunk. currently I run a large 12 volt bulb to keep it warm enough.

did you call the manufacturer for their advise or thoughts.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:07 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Here is a post with step by step instructions and photos on how to check and adjust your wet bay door if it is not sealing 100%. The door not sealing would be my first suspicion. Also check the door on the P/S of the wet bay, that is the water tank side and open to the wet bay. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/corn...ml#post2250266

Also check to see that the heat vent going into the wet bay is not blocked on either side of the register. However, more than likely it is finding where the cold air is entering. I snugged up about 40% of my basement doors and they all close and seal perfect now. The test is simple as is the adjustment. Hope this helps.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:14 PM   #6

Thanks very much for the replies. I have had the coach at Entegra and they made a couple tweaks but the result was identical.

I'm going back there in two weeks for another try.

I suspect it's also either bad seals, or some open spots where the expanding foam around the frame rails didn't fill.

Basement heat is on. The only cold area is the wet bay itself.

There is only one passive louvered vent between the basement and the wet bay. The Aqua Hot is on the other side of the passive vent.

I tend to think that, when in motion, there is either a vacuum that 'sucks' the wet bay door open beyond the flexibility of the seals, or there are openings by the frame rails. The PS side is effectively double walled. There is the exterior door and then it's walked in and carpeted. I really don't think it's the PS wet bay door. I have an Anthem. Cornerstone has the sewer discharge run across from the PS. On mine, everything is on the DS.

Really I was just wondering if there are others who can maintain hear back there in transit in cold temps, or this is just me.

Entegra agrees that something is wrong.

Definitely not getting an argument from them and I absolutely would say that they're being great to work with.

There's a hole or opening somewhere. It's just logic. If it's sealed up tight, it just can't lose all that heat within thirty minutes and then only maintain five degrees above ambient, even with actual supplemental heat being added continuously.

Just got to find the holes and I'm sure it'll be good.

I will verify the tightness of the latches by following the directions in the other linked post.

Thanks very much.
derba is offline   Reply With Quote