RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2020, 01:21 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Cool Help, I've fallen . . . .

We've all seen those commercials for the life alerts or something similar.

However, I wanted to relate an experience I recently had with an Apple Watch. I know lots of folks are on the fence, as to whether to spend the ~ $500 for one of these things. I have had Apple watches since the beginning and I can tell you, they have evolved.

Here's my story:

Over the Christmas holidays, I had an unfortunate accident. My youngest Grandson got a hoverboard for Christmas. I have risen Segways many times and thought the hoverboard would be similar to ride. Well, the last thing I remember is putting one foot on the hoverboard; next thing, I was on the way to the hospital. I fell on a tile kitchen floor and sustained a concussion and 3 small brain bleeds. Cost me a night in ICU. I'm OK now...thankfully

Here's the kicker. During the time I was unconscious [maybe 30s], my wife [and others] kept hearing a woman talking. She finally figured out it was my Apple Watch. The Apple Watch knew I had fallen and when I didn't respond to the watch that I was OK, it called 911. The woman talking was the 911 operator, to whom my wife finally told not to send an ambulance.

I only post this here, since these things can be life saving. If I had been alone, help would have arrived automatically, with or without my interaction with the 911 operator.

Disclosure: I have no affiliation with Apple...just a happy customer.

If you're on the fence about getting an Apple Watche, this might be a reason to give it some serious consideration.
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2020, 02:07 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Help, I've fallen . . . .

We have had Apple watches for several years. My wife recently got her third, a Series 5, which reports falls like yours. Shortly after getting it she got tangled up in her lap robe and sat down hard on the couch. The watch immediately started talking and a countdown. Her is set to call me and our local son first then 911, all in about 30 seconds.

As we age and get more unsteady we are considering upgrading my Series 3 for that feature.
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:19 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Great post.

Have a friend older than me, he is a healthy 78, great shape. His Apple Watch told him of a irregular heart Beat, and after seeing his Dr, he is having is heart beat adjusted, or "re-set".

I have never been an Apple platform customer, but it makes me think about it, turning 60 in April. Maybe the other products on the market have these features and I am unaware of it.
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:31 PM   #4

I did not know that was a feature. Thanks for bring it up.
Also glad you are ok.
Tom
2017 Jeep JKU
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:17 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I bought the Series 4 (now replaced with the 5) when it came out primarily for that feature. Rick's father was not wearing his LifeAlert when his hip broke and he fell (and it happened in that order). It was 24 hours before we found him. He was never the same and passed away shortly after. He had been playing golf not long before the fall. I know too many folks who have fallen just going in and out of their coaches. We have other Apple products but this latest watch is amazing. A friend with afib is able to use it to send EKG's to his doc when it acts up. You can get an attachment to check your blood pressure. It does all the activity and watch stuff but the health applications are impressive. Only problem that I've found is now Rick wants one too.
Goldie
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote