Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2018, 04:39 PM   #1

Help with broken slide out

Hello everyone,
Could use some help with a broken slide out. It’s a 2016 Anthem B front passenger slideout. When opening the slide made a loud noise and after removing the slide arm covers in bsmt found the shear pin did not shear, instead the shaft that holds the pin wheel (or star nut) on the front arm broke. It split in two where the shear pin goes through. Don’t know what caused this. I pushed that side of slide in while my wife retracted the working side I will attempt to post a picture.
My questions are:
1. Has anyone ever had this happen and if so how do you remove that shaft (6” or so in length) that holds that pin wheel? If I can remove it I could flip the shaft since it has another shear pin hole on the other side.
2. Has anyone driven with a broken shear pin on the slide and how do you secure the slide to prevent a surprise while driving. I’m thinking of this in case It can’t be fixed here. I’m in Wilsonville Oregon right now, Entegra was closed by the time I got here. Told them this slide made noises at 2yr pdi was told it was all ok
Any help would be appreciated.
Andrei
andrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2018, 05:30 PM   #2

Lots of post on slide issues lately... if you’re in Oregon then get beaver coach to fix it.. I bought a slide motor there a month ago for 325.00 and a rv shop installed it for
250.00. .. it was my large driver side slide that I had to replace.. skim the forum for past slide issues on entegra... as there’s plenty lately..
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:39 PM   #3

I remember hogdriver had that happen I believe
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:54 PM   #4

Here is a picture of the problem
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8CEEED1D-1493-49E6-B3B9-261EDE2F0334.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	222072  
Old 10-10-2018, 01:30 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
(574) 361-0034 this is the After Hours Entegra help line
classicalgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:01 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Nice that you posted the picture so everyone is on the same page as to what the problem is. I will see if I can find hawgguys post of replacing the gear shaft. There have been a couple of good posts about changing that part.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:26 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Here is Bob's "how to" post. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/slid...re-291106.html There are a couple of other posts in the Thread on changing the shaft. Gasman2 also did the repair and posted photos.

I just re-read the entire post, excellent post, it will do all but fix it for you. A big thanks to Bob and Richard for attaching so many photos.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:39 AM   #8

Thanks for all your help!

This is the DW cause the DH's computer keeps locking up! We so much appreciate everyone's help! Current situation is Entegra will ship the part. We will post info and pictures as this gets resolved! Thanks again!
sgrecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:52 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Not sure if you received an answer on how to secure your sled while traveling. You can cut some 2x4s and wedge between the slide and wall on top of the slide roof. Or place your couch cushions in the same area. You want something to prevent the slide from going out. Hope this helps.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:01 PM   #10

Thanks for the suggestion, I will cut some 2X4’s to brace that side of the slide. Waiting for info on when the parts will ship. In the meantime I will have to cut the gear shaft to remove it. Then I will work on bearings etc. I will post updates as I go. Thanks again to everyone!
Old 10-11-2018, 06:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrei View Post
In the meantime I will have to cut the gear shaft to remove it. Then I will work on bearings etc. I will post updates as I go. Thanks again to everyone!

In looking at the picture it looks like you can loosen the Alan head screw on the gear and then slide the broken shaft out. Of course it looks easier then it may be and cutting may be the easier option.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:48 AM   #12

No Allen screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojack View Post
In looking at the picture it looks like you can loosen the Alan head screw on the gear and then slide the broken shaft out. Of course it looks easier then it may be and cutting may be the easier option.
Hi Turbojack,
There is no Allen screw, it’s a pin that goes in there but the shaft itself looks solid in there. Perhaps it sheared off although I see no evidence of scarring in the hole, nor any damage in either of the holes on the gear drive. I will take it apart once I remove it and see what is what. Here is a pic of what the assembly looks like(image used from hawguy(?) who had same problem)
I’m waiting for an answer from Entegra regarding the part shipment
Andrei
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2018, 03:53 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
andrei, I have to thank you for posting photos with your questions and explanations. So many post, how do you fix "this"? There are 4,000 parts on an Entegra, it is sometimes very hard to figure out what "this" is. They can see it and know what they mean, but hard for others to picture what they are referring to. Nice posts.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:52 PM   #14

Thanks

Thanks Chuck, I will post pix as I go along. I will take a run at taking things apart and getting ready for the new parts sometime after this weekend. I’m really curious as to what I find once I get the gear off the shaft.
Andrei

Tags
slide, slide out