Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-03-2021, 06:35 PM   #85
Junior Member
 
Flyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 5
Thank you Archer. I am completely in agreement. I am not pro trying to circumvent the system or somehow delete it, however, a device like this that could move you to the nearest help is truly a wonderful idea. Like I said, put it in the drawer and forget about it until you need it. Like others, I will be waiting to see and understand more. You have been very helpful to all of us on this thread.
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2021, 07:42 PM   #86
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,189
Hey Dave (RealNiceTent) your post about your brother's truck breakdown reminds me to make a point again. There are lots of potential emissions systems breakdowns. Some have nothing to do with the DEF tank and sensors and some of them do. The thing we are discussing addresses one very specific failure. There is no way to know what your brothers problem was or whether it was what we are talking about. The only thing this device can help with is if your DEF sensors have failed completely and are sending no data and the ECM has set 3 very specific codes. if your brother didnt have all three or had some different codes or a mixture of the two this thing is not for him. Once again, this is not a DELETE DEVICE. You will still need to keep good DEF in the tank and plenty of it. If you let it run dry you will have a derate almost immediately and you risk damaging the pump and or injectors and NOx sensors.
__________________
2021 Entegra Aspire 44W
Previous: 2006 Newmar Essex 4508
2013 Tiffin Allegro Open Road
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 07:22 AM   #87
Senior Member
 
brobox's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SW FL
Posts: 29,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer2 View Post
Hey Dave (RealNiceTent) your post about your brother's truck breakdown reminds me to make a point again. There are lots of potential emissions systems breakdowns. Some have nothing to do with the DEF tank and sensors and some of them do. The thing we are discussing addresses one very specific failure. There is no way to know what your brothers problem was or whether it was what we are talking about. The only thing this device can help with is if your DEF sensors have failed completely and are sending no data and the ECM has set 3 very specific codes. if your brother didnt have all three or had some different codes or a mixture of the two this thing is not for him. Once again, this is not a DELETE DEVICE. You will still need to keep good DEF in the tank and plenty of it. If you let it run dry you will have a derate almost immediately and you risk damaging the pump and or injectors and NOx sensors.

Archer, just curious, when the 21 DEF head fail, I still had the tank level working as pictured in post #81. It may have finally quit, but I put 40 miles on the coach before the new head arrived and the 1761 code stayed inactive and the gauge continued to work. I know that is unusual, but can it happen as it did on mine?
__________________
Chuck in SW FL
Digital 2021 Cornerstone "B"
A "Digital" 2019 Cornerstone "B" Traded
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:11 AM   #88
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,189
I am not 100% sure but this is what I think is going on. First, the DEF tank level is, for certain, based on data from the sensor. I think what is happening is if the head fails while the ignition is on like when you are driving down the road the ECM holds the last good data until it is refreshed once per second or so. The next time the key is cycled is when you will get the “no data” gauge inop symptom.
__________________
2021 Entegra Aspire 44W
Previous: 2006 Newmar Essex 4508
2013 Tiffin Allegro Open Road
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:47 AM   #89
Senior Member
 
brobox's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SW FL
Posts: 29,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer2 View Post
I am not 100% sure but this is what I think is going on. First, the DEF tank level is, for certain, based on data from the sensor. I think what is happening is if the head fails while the ignition is on like when you are driving down the road the ECM holds the last good data until it is refreshed once per second or so. The next time the key is cycled is when you will get the “no data” gauge inop symptom.
My 1761 came on the first time when I picked it up from the Alignment shop, then quickly went out. I drove and restarted the coach several times before taking it to Cummins, which thankfully is only 6 miles from my storage location, so I wasn't concerned with derate. My thought is there are 3 sensors, DEF Level 1761, DEF Temperature 3031, and DEF Quality 3364.
During the 40-45 miles with lots of restart tests, Nexus 102P code reader tests, road test, the DEF level remained accurate which was about 1/2 a tank and the error code never returned. Even the Nexus Code Reader didn't show a problem with the DEF level.
__________________
Chuck in SW FL
Digital 2021 Cornerstone "B"
A "Digital" 2019 Cornerstone "B" Traded
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 10:01 AM   #90
Senior Member
 
SargeW's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,513
I believe it total luck of the draw. When my sensor failed, it all happened at once, all three codes and alarming dash buzzers. The gauge jumped back and forth from 3/4 to empty, to full. Then it would stop for a few minutes and repeat. I was about 1 1/2 hours out from the campground and just kept driving. There was never a "normal" period for more than 2-3 minutes.
__________________
Marty and Diane, Fulltiming!
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 10:11 AM   #91
Senior Member
 
voltdoc's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East Greenwich, RI
Posts: 1,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer2 View Post
I am not 100% sure but this is what I think is going on. First, the DEF tank level is, for certain, based on data from the sensor. I think what is happening is if the head fails while the ignition is on like when you are driving down the road the ECM holds the last good data until it is refreshed once per second or so. The next time the key is cycled is when you will get the “no data” gauge inop symptom.
Hmm, I noticed this too, I have all three codes and when active the 4 bar led def tank gauge shows 75% even tho clearly the level sensor isn't reporting. That 75% level survives many key cycles and engine runs on my coach. 75% also happens to be the starting value for the emulator so nothing to conclude yet. My tank is probably about 3/4 full. I'll drain partially and see what happens. Also I beleive I can change the initial default level on the simulator and see if it is retained when I force the faults to reoccur. I'll take a look at this today.
__________________
Rob & Linda https://MyQuantumDiscovery.com
2017 Entegra Aspire 44B - 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland
2013 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
voltdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 09:12 AM   #92
Senior Member
 
voltdoc's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East Greenwich, RI
Posts: 1,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Hmm, I noticed this too, I have all three codes and when active the 4 bar led def tank gauge shows 75% even tho clearly the level sensor isn't reporting. That 75% level survives many key cycles and engine runs on my coach. 75% also happens to be the starting value for the emulator so nothing to conclude yet. My tank is probably about 3/4 full. I'll drain partially and see what happens. Also I beleive I can change the initial default level on the simulator and see if it is retained when I force the faults to reoccur. I'll take a look at this today.
So yesterday I drained about half the fluid out of my DEF tank. Before I did that my failed DEF head was reporting 3 green bars on the 4 bar DEF level display. I cycled the ignition several times (waiting 30 seconds off and about 1 min on), the level remained at 3 green bars. That in itself is confusing because my DEF head is dead and there is no data coming from it.

Anyway, after I drained some DEF, I left the bad DEF head connected, cycled the ignition on and now the DEF gauge shows one green bar. Yet it is reporting the three fault codes and no data coming from the DEF head. Strange.

So next I hook up the def simulator, fault codes go away (except for 3031 bad temperature info which on my coach I need to clear manually but that's another story), DEF level shows three green bars which is programmed into the simulator and as expected. Key off, disconnect the def simulator, connect bad DEF head. Key on, DEF level is still 3 green bars.

Key off, Key on, DEF level is now one green bar. So Archer2 was correct that the prior DEF level is retained for at least one ignition cycle.

What is strange is that even with the failed DEF head some degree of tank level is still being reported on my DEF gauge. The first bar of the gauge should turn red if the tank is empty.

In the next few days, I will drain my tank completely and put in some fresh DEF, checking the gauge at various stages to see what happens.

BTW, my old DEF fluid had a noticeable, but not overpowering ammonia smell. I had to get up close to get a whiff. It checked out at 32 on the refractometer.
__________________
Rob & Linda https://MyQuantumDiscovery.com
2017 Entegra Aspire 44B - 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland
2013 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
voltdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 09:50 AM   #93
Senior Member
 
MRUSA14's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,783
Perhaps urea naturally has an ammonia smell?
__________________
Marc and Jill, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 12:12 PM   #94
Senior Member
 
brobox's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SW FL
Posts: 29,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Perhaps urea naturally has an ammonia smell?
It does. Smelling a fresh jug then the DEF tank is a good comparison.
__________________
Chuck in SW FL
Digital 2021 Cornerstone "B"
A "Digital" 2019 Cornerstone "B" Traded
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 04:10 PM   #95
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 182
Sorry if I missed it but I unable to find instructions and/or zip files with the software this thread is talking about. I have most of the mentioned parts at hand except for the connectors. Where are those instructions, wiring diagrams, software, etc.?

Thanks,
Dan
__________________
2018 Ventana 4369
dxg0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 04:30 PM   #96
Senior Member
 
jwprosser's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Lubbock, TX
Posts: 123
Dan,
They will be posted when they are finished with final testing is my understanding.

JP
__________________
__________________
John & Pam Prosser - Lubbock, TX
2019 Anthem 44W - 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
jwprosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:07 PM   #97
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxg0001 View Post
Sorry if I missed it but I unable to find instructions and/or zip files with the software this thread is talking about. I have most of the mentioned parts at hand except for the connectors. Where are those instructions, wiring diagrams, software, etc.?

Thanks,
Dan
Should be just a matter of days before all the info becomes accessible. Just keep your eyes peeled and watch for it.
__________________
2021 Entegra Aspire 44W
Previous: 2006 Newmar Essex 4508
2013 Tiffin Allegro Open Road
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:26 PM   #98
Senior Member
 
RonK's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Lancaster, OH
Posts: 414
I too have all parts but connector, hopefully it will arrive soon
Thanks to whoever is developing this solution!!!
__________________
2018 Thor Tuscany 45AT
Honda CRV toad
RonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DEF Head Failures What Chassis freen03 Newmar Owner's Forum 14 08-10-2021 05:29 PM
2015 Aspire and DEF head failures Johnontheroad Entegra Owner's Forum 11 06-10-2021 06:24 PM
Freightliner and DEF Sensor Failures Butte64 Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum 20 06-10-2021 01:11 PM
Any word on Gen 7 DEF Head failures? Jtrving Class A Motorhome Discussions 0 06-09-2021 09:52 AM
Spartan Radiators vs DEF Sensor Failures brobox Entegra Owner's Forum 11 12-22-2020 08:43 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.