Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2021, 12:26 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Here is a truly NEW development in the DEF failures

In RVTravel.com Sunday 8/29 there’s another article about the ongoing problems with DEF sensor failures and the efforts to mitigate the problem. Read down to the section entitled “RVers solve problem that industry couldn’t…”

It appears that someone has come up with a solution that has the potential to transform what has been a catastrophe into just an inconvenience to be managed until a repair can be facilitated at the owners’ convenience. Here’s the link to the article.
https://www.rvtravel.com/good-news-d...atives-coming/
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2021, 12:41 PM   #2

Now, if we could find a Canadian or overseas distributor, everyone could breathe easier.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:57 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I don’t believe this device is illegal. It seems to me to fit perfectly into the language of the Regulation (quoted in the article) as not prohibited. It is NOT a “delete device”. The DEF pump, doser injector, NOx sensors are not affected in any way. Your vehicle will continue to use DEF and spray it into the SCR reaction chamber reducing NOx. Your vehicle would still pass any emissions test. The only thing that changes is that you will be responsible for monitoring your DEF level and quality manually until you get the bad sensor replaced. What it does do is prevents the ECM from erroneously triggering a derate “Inducement”.
Old 08-30-2021, 02:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer2 View Post
I don’t believe this device is illegal. It seems to me to fit perfectly into the language of the Regulation (quoted in the article) as not prohibited. It is NOT a “delete device”. The DEF pump, doser injector, NOx sensors are not affected in any way. Your vehicle will continue to use DEF and spray it into the SCR reaction chamber reducing NOx. Your vehicle would still pass any emissions test. The only thing that changes is that you will be responsible for monitoring your DEF level and quality manually until you get the bad sensor replaced. What it does do is prevents the ECM from erroneously triggering a derate “Inducement”.
Exactly, no emissions impact unless you run out of DEF or get bad DEF.
Old 08-30-2021, 03:03 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
As a matter of fact according to Cummins QuickServeOnline if the sensor fails it will throw SPN3031 FMI9. That code WILL shut off the doser and thus cause a cessation of SCR NOx abatement. So using the device actually PREVENTS the ECM from “deleting” its own DEF/SCR systems when the sensor fails!
Old 08-30-2021, 03:11 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Whether the device is legal or not remains to be seen. I imagine those who administer the applicable regulations will weigh in on that. Perhaps more important is whether it is possible to obtain this device. If each RVer has to build his own device from scratch it won’t be of much help to the average RVer. So far I haven’t seen these for sale anywhere. Unless they can be purchased, they won’t help much.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 03:23 PM   #7

If it works, this guy could build a new business.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 03:57 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
X2 what Marc said. After reading the article, the first thing I thought was what would be faster if I was stranded, getting a DEF head or an emulator?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 04:35 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Marc & Chuck. I don't want to come off as trying to convince anyone to use or not use the device. I will just say that In the last 2 days I had to evacuate from the effects of Ida about 400 miles through rain and wind. Because I have one of these things I didn’t think twice about what my Plan B would be if my Shaw sensor decided to pack it in. I had a working fix for the problem in my kitchen cabinet. You also may be overestimating by a lot the difficulty of assembling this thing. Here’s what’s involved:
First you buy an Arduino “microcontroller-on-a-board” from a list of models that will be posted. You add an interface board that you will choose from the same list. Next you buy, also from Amazon, a pre-assembled Deutsch connector with 4 wires already attached.
When you get your order you snap the interface onto the Arduino, screw the 4 wires into the Terminals provided on the interface.
Then Download a zip file that matches your hardware, connect the board to your computer with a USB cable. Verify the connections and run the installer. That’s it. Not as hard as installing Excel on a laptop. The total cost of the hardware is about 120 bucks. The software is free. The idea is to have it already handy if and when you have the sensor failure.
Old 08-30-2021, 04:49 PM   #10

That would be great. I could use it right now. Threw a code 3031 yesterday. Made it home. Spartan said no available parts at this time. Expensive coach sitting in driveway unusable.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 05:03 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRidge View Post
That would be great. I could use it right now. Threw a code 3031 yesterday. Made it home. Spartan said no available parts at this time. Expensive coach sitting in driveway unusable.
Do you know what the FMI code was that went with the 3031? Should have said something like “FMI X” where X=some number.
And did you just get 3031? Not 1761 or 3364 as well?
Old 08-30-2021, 05:58 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer2 View Post
Hi Marc & Chuck. I don't want to come off as trying to convince anyone to use or not use the device. I will just say that In the last 2 days I had to evacuate from the effects of Ida about 400 miles through rain and wind. Because I have one of these things I didn’t think twice about what my Plan B would be if my Shaw sensor decided to pack it in. I had a working fix for the problem in my kitchen cabinet. You also may be overestimating by a lot the difficulty of assembling this thing. Here’s what’s involved:
First you buy an Arduino “microcontroller-on-a-board” from a list of models that will be posted. You add an interface board that you will choose from the same list. Next you buy, also from Amazon, a pre-assembled Deutsch connector with 4 wires already attached.
When you get your order you snap the interface onto the Arduino, screw the 4 wires into the Terminals provided on the interface.
Then Download a zip file that matches your hardware, connect the board to your computer with a USB cable. Verify the connections and run the installer. That’s it. Not as hard as installing Excel on a laptop. The total cost of the hardware is about 120 bucks. The software is free. The idea is to have it already handy if and when you have the sensor failure.
Now it is getting easier. The unknown is difficult for those of use that are not computer programmers. I can replace a turbo, but don't have a clue how to write DEF code
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 06:13 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
No code writing required of the user. If you know what a USB cable is and where to plug it in (by the way the right USB cable usually is included with the board).
Old 08-30-2021, 06:21 PM   #14

Several weeks or months ago some wise man (I think it was me) suggested the industry and regulators should grant a temporary software solution to fix this problem until the hardware is properly updated. My read is that they still don’t know what exactly is wrong. I disagree that the emulator is “legal” in the sense that it is a modification to the vehicle’s emission system. The fact that it does not increase emissions in any way doesn’t matter.

What a mess
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote