Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2021, 03:53 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer2 View Post
Hi Marc & Chuck. I don't want to come off as trying to convince anyone to use or not use the device. I will just say that In the last 2 days I had to evacuate from the effects of Ida about 400 miles through rain and wind. Because I have one of these things I didn’t think twice about what my Plan B would be if my Shaw sensor decided to pack it in. I had a working fix for the problem in my kitchen cabinet. You also may be overestimating by a lot the difficulty of assembling this thing. Here’s what’s involved:
First you buy an Arduino “microcontroller-on-a-board” from a list of models that will be posted. You add an interface board that you will choose from the same list. Next you buy, also from Amazon, a pre-assembled Deutsch connector with 4 wires already attached.
When you get your order you snap the interface onto the Arduino, screw the 4 wires into the Terminals provided on the interface.
Then Download a zip file that matches your hardware, connect the board to your computer with a USB cable. Verify the connections and run the installer. That’s it. Not as hard as installing Excel on a laptop. The total cost of the hardware is about 120 bucks. The software is free. The idea is to have it already handy if and when you have the sensor failure.

I also saw a thread that someone said their coach is now sitting in the driveway dead because of the sensor. I quoted this one because I believe in being prepared, and Archer tells you how to make the device. He evacuated for Ida, and as I sit here I should be outside finishing fixing the wife's car (2.2 Ecotec head replacement PIA), so I can replace the fuel pump in Big Blue. But instead I am stuck in the house because the smoke and ash fall from the Caldor fire watching the news about how Lake Tahoe is being evacuated.
This problem with these sensors has hit the trucking industry hard too. My brother drives for a company that hauls refrigerated loads, his def sensor went out close to me and he stayed on my couch for 3 weeks waiting for his truck at the Kenworth dealer. He had a full load of meat and we went every day to make sure the refer was running and to refuel it. this device could have saved him from losing the roughly 4000 dollars he lost being down for that time. I don't own a diesel currently, but I will be ordering everything to build at least one of these. I'm going to build it and give it to my brother, even after having the sensor replaced and other work done on the system by the dealer the system still malfunctions. Might build a second to carry just in case we run into somebody stuck because of a sensor fault, and we may upgrade before long anyhow.

There may be a legal question, but I believe that if the vehicle is scheduled, (added to the growing list of people waiting for a sensor), and this device is in use allowing the system to continue to work as designed, there is no question of the legality. The primary purpose is being accomplished unaltered in function and purpose. The device simply provides a fabricated level signal to allow proper function of the system until proper repair is made.

In my opinion if you have a coach that uses DEF, you need this in your arsenal.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2021, 04:37 PM   #58

Originally only had the 3031 FMI 9 code. Threw all three codes today. 3031/1761/3364 FMI 9. Lucky that a Spartan chassis dealer and Cummins shop only 12 miles away. I made it there. According to Spartan no parts available. Expensive paperweight sitting in the shop. Missing the one trip all year that I plan for. Pissed off would be putting it mildly.

Whenever this is available I want one !
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 04:50 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRidge View Post
Originally only had the 3031 FMI 9 code. Threw all three codes today. 3031/1761/3364 FMI 9. Lucky that a Spartan chassis dealer and Cummins shop only 12 miles away. I made it there. According to Spartan no parts available. Expensive paperweight sitting in the shop. Missing the one trip all year that I plan for. Pissed off would be putting it mildly.

Whenever this is available I want one !
Interesting that you got only one code to begin with, then all three. That was my experience as well, but in my case I got the 3364 code first (DEF Quality), whereas you got 3031 (DEF temperature) first. The common thread is that in both your case and mine the other two codes showed up not long after the first one appeared.

Really sorry your trip was disrupted, but glad you were close to a viable service center. Best wishes for minimal delay in getting a replacement part.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:46 PM   #60

Shoot, I'd build one of these things and I don't even have a diesel.

Never know when you might be able to help a stranded RVer.
"Here, take this, download your info, and send it back to me when you get home"....
Old 08-31-2021, 10:07 PM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNiceTent View Post
I also saw a thread that someone said their coach is now sitting in the driveway dead because of the sensor. I quoted this one because I believe in being prepared, and Archer tells you how to make the device. He evacuated for Ida, and as I sit here I should be outside finishing fixing the wife's car (2.2 Ecotec head replacement PIA), so I can replace the fuel pump in Big Blue. But instead I am stuck in the house because the smoke and ash fall from the Caldor fire watching the news about how Lake Tahoe is being evacuated.
This problem with these sensors has hit the trucking industry hard too. My brother drives for a company that hauls refrigerated loads, his def sensor went out close to me and he stayed on my couch for 3 weeks waiting for his truck at the Kenworth dealer. He had a full load of meat and we went every day to make sure the refer was running and to refuel it. this device could have saved him from losing the roughly 4000 dollars he lost being down for that time. I don't own a diesel currently, but I will be ordering everything to build at least one of these. I'm going to build it and give it to my brother, even after having the sensor replaced and other work done on the system by the dealer the system still malfunctions. Might build a second to carry just in case we run into somebody stuck because of a sensor fault, and we may upgrade before long anyhow.

There may be a legal question, but I believe that if the vehicle is scheduled, (added to the growing list of people waiting for a sensor), and this device is in use allowing the system to continue to work as designed, there is no question of the legality. The primary purpose is being accomplished unaltered in function and purpose. The device simply provides a fabricated level signal to allow proper function of the system until proper repair is made.

In my opinion if you have a coach that uses DEF, you need this in your arsenal.
Dave, before you spend money to buy parts to build the device I want to stress that this has only been tested on a limited number of Motorhomes all of which have Cummins ISL OR ISX engines with Cummins CM2350 ECMs. I doubt that it would work on any other manufacturers engine but I don’t really know. So caveat emptor.
Archer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:51 AM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
I don't know why you addressed this post to me! I am not arguing legality about anything, only pointing out a faulty premise in someone else's post.

I have never made an argument in this thread for or against the use of the emulator, or its legality.
Larry, I misunderstood your post and I apologize. Internet forums are, as you know, famous for opportunities for people not understanding each other.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:39 AM   #63

Archer; do you know how long that particular ECM Model Number you mentioned has been used in production for ISL engines?
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:55 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer2 View Post
Larry, I misunderstood your post and I apologize. Internet forums are, as you know, famous for opportunities for people not understanding each other.
Thanks Archer2, I kinda suspected that or you thought I had made someone else's post.

It's all good.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:20 AM   #65

Archer2
First Thank you for the information on the emulator. I have poured through the thread in an effort to understand what I can. Am I correct to assume that there will be different models of the board and different zip files depending upon the specific application? In one of your posts you mention that a list will be made available for specific models. Can you tell us how and when that will be available. Legal or not if I am stranded I will do what I can to be safe therefore having one of these in the toolbox seems prudent. My 2018 tiffin is currently sidelined at a cummins dealership waiting for tiffin to send a head. I had a conversation with cummins parts and they indicated that the new head may not be any better. She said it is the exact part number and knew nothing about gen 5 or 6 or 7. I bought the motorhome new and the head failed in 7500 miles. Emulator in the drawer you bet.
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:52 AM   #66

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevandtomH View Post
Archer; do you know how long that particular ECM Model Number you mentioned has been used in production for ISL engines?
FOUND ON THE INTERNET...I dont know how accurate but seems about right to me.

"The Cummins ECMs with the CM2350 system have been used in production 2013 through the current model year. This covers almost all Cummins on-highway engines, including ISB6.7, ISC8.3, ISL9, ISX12, ISX15, and ISV5."
Old 09-01-2021, 11:37 AM   #67

I definitely want to build one these...having been sidelined once with the DEF head problem...this is better than a tow truck!
Hoping to get get more details soon..
jeffnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:55 AM   #68

Archer Thanks!
We had our ECM replaced a year ago.
Suspect it is the same model.
Mine failed for “high drift” NOX and a few other codes.
Never really got a clear reason as to why it happened.
Though our coach is a ‘14(built late ‘13)I would like to avoid a potential de rate if the solution is truly download,plug and play. I’m probably like others who would benefit from a YT video of “how to” as this progresses.
Thanks again for all your work on this.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:59 PM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
You are more than welcome. But I did not write the code I just helped with research and testing. The real effort was done by a few others who can go public if and when they want
Old 09-01-2021, 03:24 PM   #70

As someone who has conducted many trials, state and fed court, even a few with the EPA, I would buy this device if it would get my dead RV off of the road and into some safe place.

And then I would unplug it and await the right parts.

I won't go into all of the reasons for saying this here. This isn't the right place. But . . . there is no "damages" phase in a criminal trial.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote