Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2021, 11:51 AM   #239

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha__Omega View Post
You may get the code when you first start the coach. Just follow the procedures for resetting the codes
- run the coach at high RPM (2,000-2,500) for 5min. Shut off the coach.
- do the above procedure 2-3 times. (Our 2019 Phaeton only took two cycles and upon firing up the coach for a third time the codes were clear).
Sorry A/O, your procedure is not quite right. There are 3 codes thrown when the DEF sensor dies, 1761, 3364 and 3031 (all FMI 9). Once the bad sensor is replaced with a good sensor or a DSS until you can get a new sensor the first 2 codes will clear within a minute of turning the key on. The 3rd, 3031, will clear after you start the engine and let it idle for 5 minutes three times in a row. The thing about running at high RPM probably came from me. I have written to run at high-idle during the 5 minutes. First, that means at high-idle (push the Cruise Control on-get the jackrabbit light) about 1000 RPM. That has nothing to do with the DEF diagnostics, it’s just what Cummins recommends for extended idling to help minimize soot build up on the DPF filter.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2021, 12:59 PM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer2 View Post
Sorry A/O, your procedure is not quite right. There are 3 codes thrown when the DEF sensor dies, 1761, 3364 and 3031 (all FMI 9). Once the bad sensor is replaced with a good sensor or a DSS until you can get a new sensor the first 2 codes will clear within a minute of turning the key on. The 3rd, 3031, will clear after you start the engine and let it idle for 5 minutes three times in a row. The thing about running at high RPM probably came from me. I have written to run at high-idle during the 5 minutes. First, that means at high-idle (push the Cruise Control on-get the jackrabbit light) about 1000 RPM. That has nothing to do with the DEF diagnostics, it’s just what Cummins recommends for extended idling to help minimize soot build up on the DPF filter.
Hey Archer, if you plug in the simulator does the quantity show a decrease over time or does it stay at some intermediate reading. If it does decrease how do you get it to reset when it gets to empty?
J Gunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:04 PM   #241

The DEF level decreases about 3%/hr and will not go below 25%. Each time you stop and restart the engine, the simulator is reset and starts over.
Old 10-21-2021, 02:18 PM   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaugh10 View Post
The DEF level decreases about 3%/hr and will not go below 25%. Each time you stop and restart the engine, the simulator is reset and starts over.
Thanks
J Gunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:23 PM   #243

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeW View Post
Go to your Def tank, locate and unplug the Def tank connector that matches the one you just built. Do this with the ignition off. Plug in the DSS to the connector you just unplugged.

Go turn the key and do a routine start up that you would normally do. Monitor all dash lights and watch for trouble lights. What should happen is all dash lights should come on to test as normal, then all go out. The Def gauge should read about 3/4 full. Put the engine on high idle (about 1000 rpm) and let it run for about 5 minutes. All dash gauges should operate as normal. If after 5 minutes there has been no trouble lights or codes displayed, you are done.

Shut down engine, and reverse the procedure of hooking up the DSS. Store it away and hope you never need it.
Thanks Sarge …
petewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 08:48 AM   #244

Thank you Sarge. Well described.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:03 PM   #245
WDW

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2338.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	347381 OK I’m embarrassed to ask, but I’m having trouble getting this thing apart and I’m not sure which joint I should pray on. The ability to reach in to separate this connector to make sure that my cable for my simulator box works is a challenge to begin with. You’re gentle advice is appreciated.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:24 PM   #246

Hopefully the picture helps. Have to hold the tab down and pull the connector apart.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2338.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	347403  
Old 10-27-2021, 07:25 PM   #247
WDW

Here is a truly NEW development in the DEF failures

You are generous with your directions. I was in the wrong spot. Thank you!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:00 AM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaugh10 View Post
Hopefully the picture helps. Have to hold the tab down and pull the connector apart.
some connectors you need to push together before pressing the tab then pulling.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 11:15 AM   #249

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeW View Post
Go to your Def tank, locate and unplug the Def tank connector that matches the one you just built. Do this with the ignition off. Plug in the DSS to the connector you just unplugged.

Go turn the key and do a routine start up that you would normally do. Monitor all dash lights and watch for trouble lights. What should happen is all dash lights should come on to test as normal, then all go out. The Def gauge should read about 3/4 full. Put the engine on high idle (about 1000 rpm) and let it run for about 5 minutes. All dash gauges should operate as normal. If after 5 minutes there has been no trouble lights or codes displayed, you are done.

Shut down engine, and reverse the procedure of hooking up the DSS. Store it away and hope you never need it.
Just installed and tested my DEF emulator as per Sarge's instructions above and I am happy to say it works perfectly .
Once started it acted as if the factory DEF head was still plugged in instead of the box. Only difference was the I knew I had 1/2 tank of DEF fluid but the gauge read 3/4 like I was told it would.
Ran it for 5 minutes @ 1000 rpm , no lights and no issues then removed the box and plugged the head back in.
My hats off to you guys that came up with this temporary fix . Not a good thing to be stuck on the side of the road knowing the parts to make the repair may not be available.
petewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:18 AM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
found a wiring diagram for my 2017 Conerstone 5 pin def connection.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	def connector.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	347841  
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 11:05 AM   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
found a wiring diagram for my 2017 Conerstone 5 pin def connection.
I'm 99% sure this is the connector for our 2017 cornerstones.

https://www.customconnectorkits.com/wp05-kit/

From what I understand, the earlier models are analog and the newer DEF heads are digital and the sim will not work for us.
Magic-carpet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 11:08 AM   #252

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-carpet View Post
I'm 99% sure this is the connector for our 2017 cornerstones.

https://www.customconnectorkits.com/wp05-kit/

From what I understand, the earlier models are analog and the newer DEF heads are digital and the sim will not work for us.
My understanding as well, but a 2017 should be well into the digital def head era which is, to my understanding, when the Quality sensor was added, which was also the start of the majority of the failures.

If you are lucky enough to just have temp and level sensing (as that schematic shows) there are other easier actions you can take to correct and/or prevent failures. So unfortunate that there is no DSS for these units, but also fortunate that we can probably get by without one.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote