Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2016, 08:55 AM   #1

Hershey RV show adventures

Well that was the first big RV show for us and we had a chance to look at all the coaches on our wish list.

Once in the gate Entegra was our first stop. I asked about a test drive and was politely informed once we reached an agreement on price we could test drive one. Not exactly what I wanted to hear but I do understand why you wouldn't want every knucklehead through the gate driving your $500,000 coach.

Loved what we saw and even got as far as talking some numbers for our trade in and a new Aspire. I got real scared and we had to leave when they offered to pay off our RV and do a zero down finance for a new one We are just not ready to take that leap.

Here is the list of coaches we looked at and my impressions.

Newmar Dutch Star and London Aire - Both very nice coaches but nothing jumped out at us and said this is the one. Fit and finish were very good on both but even the show price was more than an Entegra.

Tiffin Allegro Bus and Phaeton - First impression inside the Bus was the lack of attention to detail. Cabinet doors did not line up and ceiling vents were spinning with the AC on. I don't remember the dealer that had the set up but a lot of what we saw falls on them. Poor set up for a show this size. I wouldn't have let that coach go to the show in it's condition. Just did not show well. The sales man in the Bus couldn't even answer basic questions about the chassis. The Phaeton just did not meet our expectations after looking at the Entergras and we couldn't justify their price after their poor showing.

Winnebago Grand Tour - I honestly was not expecting much but was very impressed with this coach. It even had a sky light over the cockpit Also had a nice out door kitchen with a small fridge, induction cook top and prep area that slid out from a storage bay. Fit and finish was very good but the price was out of our league. Priced between the Anthem and Cornerstone.

Now I don't mean to bash any other brands, just sharing our experience and impressions. The issues with the Allegro Bus could and should have been addressed before it was set up. This was the morning of the second show day and cabinets do not become misaligned that easily.

Vendors were lacking a bit, IMHO. I guess I expected more in that area.

Overall we had a good time. Met Tadd Jenkins and tried to get him to front our downpayment, no luck there Didn't spend much time talking to him but he seemed to be a very nice guy. The crew from RVOne were all helpful and knew their product.

At the end of the day we did not buy a new coach. We did walk away knowing what we want and liked and decided we would look for a used one in the near future.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club

That's interesting on Entegra test drive. I was touring the Anthem yesterday and Tadd Jenkins was in the coach. We started talking. He tried to talk me into taking a test drive even though I made it clear I was several years away from considering an upgrade. He wanted me to see how quiet the coach was when driving compared to my Phaeton. I declined not wanting to waste his time. We had a good conversation. He insured to me that the buyout by Thor would not have any negative effects on their operation and they were being left to operate as they thought best for the business.

Also met and talked with Bob Tiffin while touring the Allegro Bus.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:12 AM   #3

I didn't ask Tadd about a test drive. I just asked the first person I saw, Liza Fisher, very pleasant to deal with and answered every question we asked. If she did;t know she went and found someone that did, no BS. I did't push the test drive issue. If we were closer to purchase then I would have.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:22 AM   #4

Harley, I'm surprised at the sales person's response to the test drive. Generally the dealer's want you to test drive their products. From what we have seen and experienced on test drives, an Entegra test drive tends to sell the rig. Very nice quiet units.

The Tiffin dealer at the Hershey Show is Colton RV located here in the Buffalo area. Their reputation is not the best and they tend to be very high priced. I stopped at a "show" they did here and the Allegro Bus they had to show had dead batteries and was not plugged in so it was dark and hot. Needless to say, your comment about their lack of preparation does not surprise me. They also did not display the dealer MSRP on their show here so that is something else to watch out for on them.

We liked the Newmar's also as well as the Entegras. I think RVOne didn't help themselves by showing the higher prices on their Newmars. They should have shown higher discounts to be more in line with others.

Overall, a fun show as usual.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:46 AM   #5

I wanted to seek out a few certain vendors at the show on Wednesday and while there, I took the opportunity to walk through the Entegra line. I didn't spend a lot of time but I must say that I was very impressed with the overall quality. Even items like the quality of basement door latches were impressive. I could go on but suffice it to say that I really liked what I saw... well, except for the half million dollar price tag

As an aside, I too was disappointed with the overall diversity of vendors at the show.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:10 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek

Newmar has a reputation (something their buyers often tout) for customization. You can customize more with them than any other brand. They will move walls, remove them, swap in/out things. and really bend over backwards to build the coach that YOU want.

I wonder if that hurts them at these shows-at least with buyers who don't know that? With most other brands, WYSIWYG. With Newmar, what you see is essentially their baseline.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #7

Our experience at the RV shows (Hershey and Tampa) is there is no issue taking a test drive in a Entegra. Hopefully Tadd will be the driver for you. His test drives are a hoot. He likes to push every button he can and is very enthusiastic about Entegra. We had ridden with him two times and bought each time. The sale prices they display are somewhat negotiable and since we were buyers they went out of their way to sharpen their pencil every time. Try and get Robin at the show as he and Terry Meyers know their product as well as the competition. Hope to see you down the road in a Entegra. What still stands out to us is the quality compared to other coaches in the same or more price range. Entegra gives good bang for the buck in our opinion and that is born out with positive experiences with the customer service department and the number of owners who have been repeat buyers (Some 4 times or more). We have had a 13 Aspire DEQ and now a 16 Anthem 44B. Love them both. Newmar is a good manufacturer also but just really liked the employees of Entegra a bit better. They all seemed to us to be straight shooters and they have proven that to us over time.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:14 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Newmar has a reputation (something their buyers often tout) for customization. You can customize more with them than any other brand. They will move walls, remove them, swap in/out things. and really bend over backwards to build the coach that YOU want.

I wonder if that hurts them at these shows-at least with buyers who don't know that? With most other brands, WYSIWYG. With Newmar, what you see is essentially their baseline.
Anyone that is getting ready to drop $250,000 at an absolute minimum had better understand exactly who Newmar is and what they are capable of, as well as all the other suppliers at that price point!
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:33 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post

While they may have that reputation, it's FAR from true. We are/were down to 2 manufacturers for our next choice. We contacted Newmar to go over the specials that were important to us, and were denied on each.

Bend over backwards? Hardly.

As far as shows go, I am constantly amazed at how some dealers "prepare" for shows. I work at a dealership, and if a unit is going to a show it gets gone over thoroughly.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:57 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
As in past shows, buyers are going to speak with their wallets which is the best MH for their needs and price range. A show is the best place to do that due diligents and make that decision. The way a MH shows at a show reflects 100% in the manufacture on how it was delivered. Some dealers don't have a clue what a polishing cloth is. JMO.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:03 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
You know, the Winnie Grand Tour with the sunroof...seems neat till you think about how tough it is to cool these coaches up front. The one thing I wouldn't have is a sunroof. JMHO

Sounds like you folks attending in Hershey are having a good time.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:16 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
While they may have that reputation, it's FAR from true. We are/were down to 2 manufacturers for our next choice. We contacted Newmar to go over the specials that were important to us, and were denied on each.

Bend over backwards? Hardly.

As far as shows go, I am constantly amazed at how some dealers "prepare" for shows. I work at a dealership, and if a unit is going to a show it gets gone over thoroughly.
I spoke with the folks at Newmar while doing a review for a magazine article regarding that. The "anything goes" is a misnomer. They won't step you up by offering a custom feature that is only available in a higher end unit. If you want something that is available in a Mountain Aire but not a Dutch Star, you'll need to buy a Mountain Aire. But they will do custom changes (and charge accordingly) within reason. You can change some interior décor features and they will move a cabinet or add or delete a window for you as long as it stays within the basic engineered criteria for that particular floorplan. Sometimes these subtle changes can mean a lot to a buyer who wants something particular. Just don't expect King Aire awnings on your Ventana at any price.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:24 PM   #13

We were at the Hershey Show Wednesday. Again this year I am amazed that it is billed as the largest in the nation. Seems Tampa Super Show has much more to offer.
We visited many of the diesel pushers, visiting Entegra at the beginning of the day and before leaving the show.
We reconfirmed our decision to purchase an Aspire DEQ last February. IMHO, Entegra outshines the competition in so many ways not the least of which is the solid interior construction.
When you are ready to make the move, make sure you test drive an Entegra. We are certainly glad we did and have enjoyed every minute of the 10000 plus miles we have traveled since April.
Enjoy your search.
lilmoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:23 AM   #14

We are still a ways away from purchase but based on my experience and eyes on other products our choice will be an Entegra if we buy new. If we buy used then Entegra is still at the top of the list but a few other brands may creep in there if the price is right.

[moderator edit]

Tags
vent