Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2016, 03:28 AM   #1

Hey Canadians I need help re Canadian Standards

So here's the issue. We are looking at buying a new 2017 Anthem from a US dealer. It is an in stock coach but does not have the Canadian Standards option. Last time we bought we custom ordered and had the Canadian Standards option included. So have any of you Canadians bought a new Entegra from a US dealer that did not have this Canadian Standards option? If so do you mind sharing what you were required to do when you got back into Canada? Any modifications required? What did you have to present to Canadian Tire to pass inspection? Hope you can help me and I thank you for your assistance and advice.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2016, 05:54 AM   #2

You probably won't have anything to do until you resell it in Canada. At that point you'll probably just have to change the 20a breakers (on 14 gauge wiring) to 15A breakers and may have to confirm that the neutral bonding to ground is correct for Canadian/provincial electrical code. Then you get it inspected (in Manitoba the fire Marshall office does it) and they'll slap on a sticker making it legal for resale. This is for Manitoba. Other provinces may be different.

You'll need a recall letter to cross the border. Cad tire only looks at running gear, not the house side of things.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:27 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post

You'll need a recall letter to cross the border. Cad tire only looks at running gear, not the house side of things.
Sharing my experience on a Canadian sale. I sold my Travel Supreme to a Canadian purchaser. Getting it ready for sale, I had a front end inspection completed by Florida Spring and Axel showing any purchaser it had been recentness inspected, aligned and tires inspected.

The purchaser could not pass Canadian inspection as the ball joint grease boots had small splits in them. Working with Spartan, there was not a shop in Canada that would replace them. A year later, he still did not have Canadian licenses and was going to have to come state side to get the repair done. No big deal in the US, but a red tag in Canada.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:08 AM   #4

Hi Bill,

As a Canadian I'm interested in your experience. When you ordered your first coach and got the Canadian standards, what did that do for you?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:39 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ask Entegra Customer Service what the difference is between the two coaches.
B-Man49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:21 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Sharing my experience on a Canadian sale. I sold my Travel Supreme to a Canadian purchaser. Getting it ready for sale, I had a front end inspection completed by Florida Spring and Axel showing any purchaser it had been recentness inspected, aligned and tires inspected.

The purchaser could not pass Canadian inspection as the ball joint grease boots had small splits in them. Working with Spartan, there was not a shop in Canada that would replace them. A year later, he still did not have Canadian licenses and was going to have to come state side to get the repair done. No big deal in the US, but a red tag in Canada.
When we imported our DSDP into Canada I had no problem because of the split gRease boots. The inspector commented that the joints were solid and free of wear and met the requirements of saftey inspection.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:10 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarwiebe View Post
When we imported our DSDP into Canada I had no problem because of the split gRease boots. The inspector commented that the joints were solid and free of wear and met the requirements of saftey inspection.
Just repeating what the purchaser of my MH expressed to me after his conversation with Spartan and three attempts trying to get the problem resolved. I'll bet he would have given anything to have had your inspector.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:20 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Much as Marcham has said the breakers are 15 amp instead of 20 amp and difference with the neutral bonding of the inverters.

Here is a picture of my panel which shows several breakers where the label has whiteout applied and 15 amp written in instead of 20 amp. Breakers have changed as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	126857  

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:03 AM   #9

So I think I understand. My issue might be at the time I resell the new coach if I try to resell in Canada. Canuck, when we imported we just went to Canadian Tire like everyone else and had a 5 minute inspection. I guess what the Canadian Standards must do for me is if I had a buyer here in Canada for my existing 2012 I already have Canadian Standards so I would presumably avoid the issues some have had. Thanks for all the information. I didn't know till now what the potential benefits might be. So I guess it's a judgement call depending on whether I would likely find a buyer in Canada or whether it would be in the US.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:50 AM   #10

Hi, we just went through that process last week with a new Anthem we imported into Alberta.

First, the CDN standards option is electrical and plumbing differences in building codes, as some of the posters have referenced. None of that impacts your importation process., so I would not worry about that at this point.

Second, there is a HUGE difference between importing a new unit vs a used unit, some of the posters are making comments that will only apply to importing a used unit, so treat those accordingly.

The entire process to import is fairly easy, but you do need to make sure you have all your documents in place for the various authorities along the way. The RIV inspection carried out by Canadian Tire is more so an avenue for Federal tax collection than any type of inspection. There is a Federal excise tax for air conditioning they collect, a levy for tire disposal that is applied to new tire purchases, so they count the number of tires and check tire size (levy $ per tire depends on tire size). Then finally they check for the US compliance sticker, which should be on the inside wall just behind the drivers seat, they check axle weights, etc on that sticker.

If you want more detail on our import experience just contact me.
weirba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:35 AM   #11
rdm

Entegra Owners Club
HST on new units imported

morning
how is the amount of HST owing being calculated when importing new units
is Canada Customs using the list price or the actual cash price paid
are we able to trade in a unit in the US and pay HST on the difference
wondering about others experience
thanks
Ray
rdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:21 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm View Post
morning
how is the amount of HST owing being calculated when importing new units
is Canada Customs using the list price or the actual cash price paid
are we able to trade in a unit in the US and pay HST on the difference
wondering about others experience
thanks
Ray
Ray,

From what I have heard you pay tax on the purchase price converted to Canadian dollars. No, you cannot trade in a unit in the USA and pay tax on the difference like you can on a Canadian purchase.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:28 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Everything on the import process is right here:

Registrar of Imported Vehicles

As far as CSA and propane systems, that is the "house" side of things and it differs on enforcement by Province and what is most important is that you need to clarify with your insurance company how it will/will not affect your MH insurance (I don't mean license plates/collision/etc).

Customs collects GST/HST at the border based on the USD sale price converted to Cdn funds as well as the $210 Transport Canada Form 1 registration.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Ray,

From what I have heard you pay tax on the purchase price converted to Canadian dollars. No, you cannot trade in a unit in the USA and pay tax on the difference like you can on a Canadian purchase.
Ray what 757 stated is correct. Also if you live in a Province with Harmonized Sales Tax you pay only the Federal GST portion at the border. You pay the Provincial portion when licencing your vehicle in your Province of residence.

Tags
need help