Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2021, 10:53 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
High tire pressure

Have a 2014 Anthem. Lately I’ve been getting a high pressure alarm on the driver’s side front tire. Prior to departure in the am, the left front tire is maybe 3 lbs higher than the right. After driving the temp is up, he left tire is around 12- 15 lbs higher than the right tire. Thee temps are mostly equal depending on which side the sun is shining. Does anyone have an ans or this

thank
Duncan Holt. Currently in Bend/Sisters, OR
Duncanholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2021, 04:27 AM   #2

tire pressure

I have same problem. How much air are you putting bin? Manufacture chart states 125# but my alarm comes on after 100#s????
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:10 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
On a 14, what is giving a high pressure alarm? Nothing on my 14 that would have given an alarm for tire pressure. If it's an after market TPMS, sounds like the sun is on that side which will give a higher pressure reading.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:55 AM   #4

What are your 4-corner weights? Have you had each tire positioned weighed separately? If you haven't, you need to get busy and get it done.

On that vintage coach, if memory serves me correctly, you have a front axle that was very close to the maximum load that your coach was putting on the axle. In addition, I believe that all your batteries were essentially right under the driver seat and put additional weight/load on that tire. My memory is that my 2015 Anthem was very close to overloaded on that tire? You got any other really heavy stuff on the driver side???

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncanholt View Post
Have a 2014 Anthem. Lately I’ve been getting a high pressure alarm on the driver’s side front tire. Prior to departure in the am, the left front tire is maybe 3 lbs higher than the right. After driving the temp is up, he left tire is around 12- 15 lbs higher than the right tire. Thee temps are mostly equal depending on which side the sun is shining. Does anyone have an ans or this

thank
Duncan Holt. Currently in Bend/Sisters, OR
Yeah had the same issue with my 21 Aspire. Drive axle would go off at 96 psi. Very annoying. Bought a Valor Smart Tool, called Don Rigby at Spartan and he walked me through programing the drive axle TPMS setting. Very easy. He will lend you the tool so you don't have to buy one. I set my base line at 90 psi and now it doesn't go off.
ClintH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:37 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Air pressure can change in a tire that has too much humidity in the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintH View Post
Yeah had the same issue with my 21 Aspire. Drive axle would go off at 96 psi. Very annoying. Bought a Valor Smart Tool, called Don Rigby at Spartan and he walked me through programing the drive axle TPMS setting. Very easy. He will lend you the tool so you don't have to buy one. I set my base line at 90 psi and now it doesn't go off.

Try refilling the tire with air connected to a air drier. A lot of the pressure change from heating comes from humidity in the air used to fill the tire. Some suggest using Nitrogen for that reason. Pure Nitrogen gas contains zero humidity so it is more stable under temperature changes.

Will my tire pressure fluctuate while driving if I use nitrogen?

You will still see pressure changes with nitrogen while driving, but overall your tires will run cooler and at a more consistent pressure than if they were filled with air. Nitrogen does not contain the moisture and other contaminants found in compressed air, so nitrogen filled tires will fluctuate less in temperature and pressure than air filled tires under driving conditions, even at high speed and at high temps.

When you fill up your tires with air from the atmosphere using an air compressor, you are also pumping liquid water and water vapor into your tires. Bleeding liquid water from the line doesn’t remove water vapor. Furthermore, if you don’t remove the liquid water, it builds up over time when you repeatedly pump air into your tires.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:21 AM   #7

Jyrocharlie, Good info. I never thought about that.

Other problem besides what is said above could be a dragging brake.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:36 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrocharlie View Post
Try refilling the tire with air connected to a air drier. A lot of the pressure change from heating comes from humidity in the air used to fill the tire. Some suggest using Nitrogen for that reason. Pure Nitrogen gas contains zero humidity so it is more stable under temperature changes.

Will my tire pressure fluctuate while driving if I use nitrogen?

You will still see pressure changes with nitrogen while driving, but overall your tires will run cooler and at a more consistent pressure than if they were filled with air. Nitrogen does not contain the moisture and other contaminants found in compressed air, so nitrogen filled tires will fluctuate less in temperature and pressure than air filled tires under driving conditions, even at high speed and at high temps.

When you fill up your tires with air from the atmosphere using an air compressor, you are also pumping liquid water and water vapor into your tires. Bleeding liquid water from the line doesn’t remove water vapor. Furthermore, if you don’t remove the liquid water, it builds up over time when you repeatedly pump air into your tires.
From all my reading on the subject, 100% nitrogen in a motorhome tire is a complete waste of time and money.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
From all my reading on the subject, 100% nitrogen in a motorhome tire is a complete waste of time and money.
I agree. Had it once and temps and pressures were the same as just pure old air.
J Gunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:49 PM   #10

I would get an infrared non contact temperature gun and take the coach for a ride. After a few miles, stop and take the temperature of the front tires, wheels and if you can see them the brake rotors. Especially the rotors. You may have a brake dragging causing heat which is transferring through the wheel and causing the rise in air pressure you speak about.
Normally the wheels and tires should run at nearly the same temperatures and any rise in tire pressure should be fairly even from side to side.
Don't just try adjusting the cold pressures trying to compensate. Find and repair the actual cause to be safe.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Gunter View Post
I agree. Had it once and temps and pressures were the same as just pure old air.

Yup, to the consternation of the "Nitrogen salesmen" physics still applies. Perhaps the salesman didn't do well to either high school chemistry or physics.

Yes, Toto, even Nitrogen follows the Ideal Gas Law where temperature change results in pressure change.

Tags
tire, tire pressure