Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2021, 09:20 AM   #43

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My Impression is that the "AC IN/ CHARGE" light should be lit, and since not lit, you are running on battery power? Reset outside POLE breaker and Inside MAIN at Power PANEL, and try again?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2021, 09:24 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerViz View Post
FYI - called Entegra CS and was told NOT to put a charger on the house batteries as that will instantly damage the inverter. Now on hold with Xantrex.

Wow, that's a new one.

Would love to hear the reasoning behind that statement.
Old 08-20-2021, 09:26 AM   #45

Entegra Owners Club
Maybe it's a good thing Entegra was not around when we had the old style Xantrex inverters in the Travel Supreme. If they are saying not to get a charge to the batteries to get the LBC to kick off, none of us with Travel Supremes would have gotten our coaching going after the batteries got to low. Be interesting to hear what the "new" fix is.
I know Brett Wolfe was around back then and remembers well from RV Net the post and fixes.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:36 AM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I suspect that’s just Entegra CS being “liability-shy”. I’m sure the policy at the first level of contact is “if it’s not explicitly recommended in the decision tree then assume it is forbidden and do not tell the customer to do it” and I don’t blame them
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:43 AM   #47

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer2 View Post
I suspect that’s just Entegra CS being “liability-shy”. I’m sure the policy at the first level of contact is “if it’s not explicitly recommended in the decision tree then assume it is forbidden and do not tell the customer to do it” and I don’t blame them
With some of the CS reps I have spoke with lately, I think they were still in diapers when the Xantrex inverters were what was used in all coaches. It might be an age gap thing.
Old 08-20-2021, 09:45 AM   #48

Well, if his batteries are where mine are, then the old policy of using a cheapo Walmart or Harbor Freight 12 volt (dumb) charger to get the voltage up to a place where the real inverter charger will attempt to get a charge into the battery bank, would be a lot more complicated to even get that "dumb" charger on to the battery terminals with them buried in the basement. I have wondered if there is an easier way to do it.... like the battery posts in the first driver side compartment up under the drivers seat area, but I have not seen GeezerVis' problem talked about for several years, or problems with this Xantrex inverter so maybe it IS a unique beast that needs a different process.

PS: That is why I'm wondering who Geezer-Vis is talking to. Some of the CS guys are still wet behind the ears... Mike has been around long enough he should know what he is talking about.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:47 AM   #49

Ok, talked with Xantrex CS. They say that I can charge the house batteries but recommended that I first disconnect shore power, turn off inverter, and remove positive DC wire from inverter.
When rebooting inverter I did that by holding down the "fault" button on the actual inverter for 3 seconds, which just turned it off (the manual says this is a reboot). Then I had to push the power button on the inverter to turn it on. As soon as it came on I got the same fault code, so no change. I don't think this inverter has any other type of reset button and Xantrex rep only talked about that one button. He agreed with all y'all that the house batteries need to be charged. Trying to use the generator or firing up the coach won't work (when I did that my panel only said "qualifying a/c" so still not charging the house.
Now I need to call Entegra again (talked with Lee) and ask how to access my batteries.
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:51 AM   #50

Quote:
Trying to use the generator or firing up the coach won't work (when I did that my panel only said "qualifying a/c" so still not charging the house.

WHOA, two completely different "methods of charging".

Generator should be EXACTLY the same as shore power. From ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) onward, there is zero difference.

Running the engine enables the ALTERNATOR to charge both battery banks. Nothing to do with 120 VAC. Strictly DC charging. CAN YOU START THE COACH ENGINE or is the chassis battery too low as well??
Old 08-20-2021, 09:51 AM   #51

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Now I need to call Entegra again (talked with Lee) and ask how to access my batteries.
Look on the Driver side one or two bays back. Also see which direction the cables from the inverter go, they will lead to the battery compartment.
Just a suggestion, if you are not sure where the batteries are located, have the been checked since you have owned the coach? Given the age and the batteries being taken to their low point, they might be short on remaining life. It would be worth putting a load test on them.
Old 08-20-2021, 09:54 AM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Look, until you get AC to the inverter/charger you are just,wasting your time. Even if, in fact, the charger won’t work because the batteries are too far gone, it still needs 120VAC to even start the charger to find that out. Pressing the fault reset switch on the inverter panel or the remote panel is not going to help. I’m afraid you are just going to have to locate the inverter, crawl in there to be able to see the AC connection area (should look like house wiring) and locate the small push-button style circuit breakers and push them. If that doesn’t make the AC In LED light then you have a more serious problem.
Old 08-20-2021, 10:08 AM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Wolfe10. You are exactly right BUT running the engine to use the alternator to charge the batteries is going to allow the INVERTER to restart, all the appliances will come back on and our friend will think all is fine. The problem is there is no AC connected to the CHARGER so the batteries are just going to slowly drain down until the exact same sequence is going to repeat. Until he get AC to the CHARGER, the problem is not going to be fixed. BTW, I capitalized INVERTER and CHARGER to emphasize that they are two different systems, not to be perceived as shouting. Italics would have been better but I’m on an iPad and highlighting words is really difficult.
Old 08-20-2021, 10:13 AM   #54

You are excused .... we understand highlight and emphasis, or at least, we all should.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 10:14 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer2 View Post
Wolfe10. You are exactly right BUT running the engine to use the alternator to charge the batteries is going to allow the INVERTER to restart, all the appliances will come back on and our friend will think all is fine. The problem is there is no AC connected to the CHARGER so the batteries are just going to slowly drain down until the exact same sequence is going to repeat. Until he get AC to the CHARGER, the problem is not going to be fixed. BTW, I capitalized INVERTER and CHARGER to emphasize that they are two different systems, not to be perceived as shouting. Italics would have been better but I’m on an iPad and highlighting words is really difficult.

Completely agree. Two unrelated issues:

Getting house battery bank voltage up enough so that the inverter/charger will take over is one issue.

Getting 120 VAC into the inverter/charger is the unrelated second issue.

Both will have to be addressed before there is a happy outcome.
Old 08-20-2021, 10:23 AM   #56

Man, y'all are awesome. I really value your input. Talked with Jeremy and he said I should get the coach started, go high idle (over 1400 rpm) to excite the alternator, hold down the battery boost button (wedge something under the rocker switch) and after about 10 minutes things should start coming to life. I'm going to try that before I try to get a charger on the house batteries.
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries