Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2021, 05:33 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
House battery replacement

Can someone tell me the OEM batteries that are installed in our 2019 Aspire? OR where I can find that information ?

Is there an "average" life time on the house batteries for those that are full time ?

Is it a difficult task to replace them or is it a fairly simple DIY ?

Thanks.

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2021, 07:49 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
Can someone tell me the OEM batteries that are installed in our 2019 Aspire? OR where I can find that information ?

Is there an "average" life time on the house batteries for those that are full time ?

Thanks.

Can't help on which batteries you have now but many people get 6 years or so on their batteries.
It's quite simple to replace the batteries. Before you disconnect anything take a few pics. Be careful not to short the cables together. If you go with lead acid batteries that need water added than adding a quick water system if the way to go IMO.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:41 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks.

Ken,

I believe in 2019 Entegra was starting to use Relion L-16 batteries. If not they will be Discover batteries. Depending on how your batteries were treated prior to getting the coach they may be dying out.

It is a relatively easy DIY project just take lots of pictures for cable routing and placement as well as mark each cable as to which post it was on (+ or -).

For replacements I would look at anything but Relion or Discover batteries, they are both junk. Some other choices are Lifeline (expensive but excellent), Fullriver, Crown, etc.

Make sure to turn off the inverter disconnect (big red round switch) prior to replacing.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:20 AM   #4

Kenny

The batteries in my 2019 Cornerstone were Relion batteries. I got 3 years out of mine. My opinion of them is not good. My opinion is that they are cheap Asian batteries.

I replaced my batteries myself and have been intending on doing a full write-up on the process but never had the time before we started this trip. I am going to try to put together something in the next couple of weeks about the process. I have some good pictures. It all depends on if your batteries are located where you can see them or if your coach has them buried in the middle of the basement back by the drive axle. That is where mine were.

Here is what I can tell you.... It is not an easy job to do and I regretted the project as I found it very difficult to do. However, at the end of the process, I discovered a secret that would make the job significantly easier. Give me a week to see if I can get this written up and see if I have the pictures with me on my phone still.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 12:40 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Kenny, here is an excellelet post by voltdoc on the location of your batteries and installing 2 additional batteries in an Aspire.2017 Entegra Aspire/Insignia House Battery Upgrade – My Quantum Discovery
As others have said, do not replace with OEM batteries.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:33 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
For the cost of these batteries, I'm very concerned that I may get the wrong ones. I haven't yet looked into the compartment where they live, (maybe Friday or Saturday), so not sure yet what the terminals look like.

Are all L16 AGM batteries the same . ie: LIFELINE, GPL-L-16T, AGM BATTERY ?

I am a neophyte when talking about batteries.

Thanks.

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:44 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
L16's describe the form factor (case size), and generally refer to capacity. Factors that will drive cost are flooded cell or AGM, rated Ah and brand/model which carries a quality/reliability variable.

If you have data on how you used the batteries you have now, specifically Ah used in a given cycle and how often they were used you might be able to switch to a different size of battery that's not as expensive. Reputable brand L16's are nice deep cycle batteries but if you don't need the capacity and life cycle they offer a different battery may be the way to go.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:46 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
L16 are the same. This is only my opinion from talking with boat owners here in FL, where our heat is a killer on batteries. I have heard nothing but good about FullRiver batteries over Lifelines. Not only price, but longevity. I doubt if my Relions will last 2 years being my coach sat on the lot for 3 months during the pandemic without being plugged in. I will install the FullRivers as the boat Captains I know swear by them.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:54 AM   #9

Full Rivers L-16 are what I bought for my coach simply because Lifelines were not available until August or September when I looked in early July. I was able to purchase them for under $600 each delivered on a pallet. I could not wait for the Lifelines so bought the Full Rivers. So far so good, but have spent very little time off-the-hook up 'til now so very hard to really know how they are performing.

I don't know the right terms but all 16 usually have 4 terminals on the top, two each for positive and negative. One terminal of each pair is the standard "post" type like you see on car batteries, and the other terminal is a screw terminal. Batteries come with proper screws. The positive and negative terminals are on opposite corners of the batteries on the diagonal. An L-16 is like two normal car batteries, one sitting on top of the other.

Gary
Old 08-11-2021, 08:06 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
House battery replacement

The biggest limitation to this being a diy project is that the L16 batteries are 100+ lbs apiece and they are located in the middle of the coach with very limited access!
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:16 AM   #11

Replacing house batteries

Lots of good advice above!

Batteries do not age time wise. They age based on the amount of recharging. They also fail when they are not maintained properly. Lead acid batteries usually provide between 200 to 400 full discharge/recharge cycles. You can get twice as many cycles by recharging when they drop to 50% state of charge.

My last set of Marine AGM sealed batteries lasted 10 years and were still working perfectly when I sold the trailer.

House batteries that are well maintained fail slowly. You will notice them providing shorter run times for the same usage. When they no longer do what you want, that is the time to replace them.

Always store lead acid batteries fully charged. A full charge means 14 to 18 hours. Most RV chargers do an excellent job of charging. Some stand alone automotive chargers found at hardware stores are suspect.

Monitor the terminal voltage while in storage until you get a good feel for how long they hold a charge. Fully recharge for 10 hours before terminal voltage drops below 12.4 volts.

Choosing An RV Battery https://www.irv2.com/forums/download...do=file&id=231
This is a good article, but its recommendations against “Marine Batteries” does not apply to “Marine AGM batteries”.

Battery University https://batteryuniversity.com/articles

How does the Lead Acid Battery Work?
https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...d-battery-work

How do battery chargers work
https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...-chargers-work

How to Charge and When to Charge?
https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...when-to-charge

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:50 AM   #12

The weight of an L-16 is 125# each

Gary
Old 08-11-2021, 10:44 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
For the cost of these batteries, I'm very concerned that I may get the wrong ones. I haven't yet looked into the compartment where they live, (maybe Friday or Saturday), so not sure yet what the terminals look like.

Are all L16 AGM batteries the same . ie: LIFELINE, GPL-L-16T, AGM BATTERY ?

I am a neophyte when talking about batteries.

Thanks.

Ken,

As others have said an L16 is the size you need. Your coach came standard with two of these 6v behemoths. There is room for four total with the other two being a factory option (check your original spec sheet). If you don’t boondock much you should be fine with just two of the L16’s.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:04 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Batteries do not age time wise.
Gotta throw the flag on that one. Batteries age. There's no suspended animation or means of preservation no matter what you do. No question, a battery meticulously maintained, kept in a cool dry place and never used will have a longer calendar life than one beaten daily in a golf cart. The only distinction between them though is which root cause of failure they will suffer. Any consumer deep cycle battery exhibits reduced capacity starting around 4-5 years no matter how nicely treated. Once you hit 6 years the capacity begins to drop more precipitously. Doesn't mean the battery is "bad", if that reduced number of Ah is still enough to meet the need then there's no reason to replace it. I'm all for running them until they poop out, however long that is. From a cost efficiency standpoint it usually works out better to use a battery up before it ages out but often that's not terribly practical, so it comes down to running them until they poop out, buy another set and move on. Just making clear that no matter how little one uses a deep cycle battery, even zero use, it will age out in about 6-7 years at best.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, battery, replace, replacement