Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2018, 11:18 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
Perhaps, either way he says it is at 12.5 and a Magnum is a converter plus an inverter. 13 volts is a better position for continuous float, especially when there are loads turned on in the coach.
For some situations/batteries a continuous Float is a desirable setting, for others it is not.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2018, 11:47 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree completely and even Magnum recommends float rather than "multi" when there are not multiple charging sources.(solar, etc.) In single source situations, batteries will never really get to full charge on multi. (I know you agree with this...since you actually wrote it!)
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:59 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
Agree completely and even Magnum recommends float rather than "multi" when there are not multiple charging sources.(solar, etc.) In single source situations, batteries will never really get to full charge on multi. (I know you agree with this...since you actually wrote it!)
Well not quite. What I have said is AGM batteries will not maintain 100% SOC if the Multi setting is used because of the higher full charge voltage as compared to most flooded batteries. To prevent excessive out gassing a setting of Multi would be beneficial for flooded batteries (as the OP has). They will achieve a 100% SOC and will continue to get back to 100% SOC as the trigger voltage for the 4 hour float feature is very close to the fully charged 12.7v.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:37 PM   #18

My vote is for a bad isolator solonoid.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:04 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
My vote is for a bad isolator solonoid.
Easy to test that...short the heavy leads together. Doubt that is it but easy to eliminate if you can get to the isolation solenoid. Pushing the boost switch might be easier to eliminate it.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Kitty, at this point, I would go with the advise of 757 Driver. He know Entegra charging systems and batteries better than Entegra. Others are not even sure how Entegra charging systems even work. Don straightened my factory charging system out when Entegra had it wrong. JME.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
So with all of this aside...does the OP have a problem or not? 757Driver says that multi is an OK setting for flooded lead acid, but the OP says he generally has about 12.5 volts. Now voltage is not a reliable measure of SOC, but 12.5 on a settled down battery bank means about 80% SOC. When the OP drives, he gets far higher charging voltage from his alternator anyway. There are thousands and thousands of installations out there that run a float voltage of 13.2 or so for days, months and years with no ill effects and no boiled electrolyte. If 757Driver is correct, and he certainly knows a lot more about Magnum units than I do, switching the Magnum from "Multi" to "Float" will change the OPs situation and get him to 100% after a day or so. Battery manufacturers recommend a long term float of 13.2 to 13.8.

OP's choice...does he want that extra 20%?

Seems like an easy "fix" or "test" for the OP.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspire Kitty View Post
I have noticed recently that my House batteries drop to 12.5v when plugged in to 50 amp shore power. But after driving for an hour or so, I check the voltage in the 1/2 bath; and it’s up to 13.4v.

Do I have an inverter issue?
PS: we are full timers
Any further information on your problem or is it solved?

Old 08-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #23
GKW

I am on my third coach now and all have consistently shown the chassis voltage to indicate about 12.5 vdc while the house batteries show about 13.4 vdc. This has been plugged into 50amps for days, as well as after running down the road all day. I have never understood why but this has been with new batteries and it has never been an issue. Just my personal observation.
GKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:05 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKW View Post
I am on my third coach now and all have consistently shown the chassis voltage to indicate about 12.5 vdc while the house batteries show about 13.4 vdc. This has been plugged into 50amps for days, as well as after running down the road all day. I have never understood why but this has been with new batteries and it has never been an issue. Just my personal observation.
You are absolutely correct. But he was referring to his House bank, not his chassis bank. All the 12.5 means is that your chassis is not being charged when plugged into shore power. Now, this could be by design, or it could be a fault. Many systems are put together so that when the house bank goes above some voltage, the chassis bank begins to get a charge. Some systems do this all the time, while others only when the chassis battery drops below some threshold for some time.

It would be nice to verify that if you have a boost start switch, you can hear it "clunk" and that it actually works...before you need it!!!

Tags
battery