Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2017, 08:36 PM   #1

How Cold Can We Drive "Wet" Non-Winterized

Was just reading a thread on the Tiffin forum where a 2014 Tiffin froze up fresh water while driving today. Was fine in the CG at 11F, but froze on the highway.

Now I realize we have a really nice insulated coach with AquaHot providing heat in the basement. I read with great interest TxBart's successful winter "testing". So stationary I feel really good about leaving my coach "wet" while in the CG.

However, how well does the AquaHot do in the basement while driving down the highway? At what outside temps should I be concerned while driving?

The coach is currently in a heated space, but we are planning to get out of these single digit temps in the next couple of weeks. I'm hoping that I don't have to time the outside temps along with dry roads.

Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2017, 08:45 PM   #2

Spartan Chassis
I'm not much help with your Entegra bays but here is something that will let you know when temps are getting critical when you are moving or stationary. Get one of these and two or three extra transmitters. You can monitor several different bay temps 24/7! I have been using this product for 4 years and it still works perfect!
Compact Wireless Thermometer and Clock (MRI-200HI) - Minder Research Inc.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:52 PM   #3

We have traveled quite frequently during a deep freeze without any associated problems by running the generator with the diesel selected for the Aqua Hot.

Just noticed you list an Aspire, so you would run the Aqua Hot on LP.
pallencollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:00 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
2017 and up Aspires have diesel AquaHots - at least those 42 and above. Not sure about the smaller models.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:05 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
We have a 2015 Aspire with LP Aquahot. We left Wisconsin on december 27, 2017 at 730 am , ( Outside temperature was registering -22 degrees fahrenheit). The front windshield starting frosting shut almost immediately, we put an 8 inch fan at the bottom of the windshield at 15 miles out, that completely cleared the windshield. I added Power Service ( White bottle of Power Service ) 80 ounces in 100 gallons of diesel before we left. We were running the aquahot all day, ( Zone 1 set at 75 degrees, Zone 2 set at 85 degrees ). We drove to Caruthersville, Missouri for the night. The water system was slightly froze when we arrived. I put a 1500 watt heater in the wet bay immediately. Within 1 hour, all faucets were working. It took about 3 hours for the Tecma toilet to start working properly. In Caruthersville Missouri, the overnight temperature was around 17 degrees Fahrenheith. Motorhome was stored in a heated shop ( 55 degrees Fahrenheit ).
GoneWithTheWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:06 AM   #6

Robert, Thanks a simple remote temperature sense system is a great idea. Been planning for something like this for a while.

Steve
Old 12-29-2017, 06:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
I'm not much help with your Entegra bays but here is something that will let you know when temps are getting critical when you are moving or stationary. Get one of these and two or three extra transmitters. You can monitor several different bay temps 24/7! I have been using this product for 4 years and it still works perfect!
Compact Wireless Thermometer and Clock (MRI-200HI) - Minder Research Inc.
Also available for $22.67 from . . . wait . . . I can say this . . camping world GASP! I said it.

TempMinder Three-Station Wireless Thermometer and Clock - TireMinder MRI-200HI - Indoor Thermometers - Camping World

additional transmitters are $9.49 each. We have the receive in the coach, one wireless transmitter in the water bay, and one fastened in the bay near the propane tank. So with two wireless transmitters we have Inside temp, outside temp, and water bay temp at our fingertips.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:33 AM   #8

GoneWithTheWind, thanks for the detailed response.

Hopefully we won't be pulling out in -22, but 0 or slightly below is looking like a good possibility.

Been carrying white and red (911) power service jugs ever since I got caught in my driveway a few years ago in SOB RV. That RV had the fuel filter frame mounted behind the drive axle. It was not fun changing that filter lying on ice, in -10 temps with diesel running down my arms.

I had already put the white jug in, but didn't take into account that I probably still had some bio-diesel in the tank, so I was suppose to double the amount.

Does your 2015 Aspire have a separate basement heater? I was planning on cranking my basement heat up for the drive.

Finally great tip on the portable fan. I had already forgotten about the fogging/frosting issue. Our SOB had those overhead fans, so I was able to spin them around and do the same thing, but I need to make sure I have a portable fan for the Aspire, if the defroster can't keep up. Though the defroster on the Entegra's is so much better than I had before.

Steve
Old 12-29-2017, 10:09 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
With the extreme cold ( -22 ), the basement heater could not keep up. If I were to change something, I would have run the generator, and put a 1500 watt electric heater in the wet bay, and also run the fireplace ( electric heat) and an additional 1500 watt electric heater in the front of the motorhome. At -22 degrees, a person definitely learns what to do in extreme condtiions. An entegra motorhome is definitely well built and insulated.
GoneWithTheWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:10 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
The buyer of my TS decided to leave for Canada in -10 that cost him over $7,000 in freeze up damage repairs. Look at where our hydraulic reservoirs sit, no way to keep them from freezing. Just passing along what happened to my TS in below zero temps. He and his son are lucky they did not freeze to death. Thankfully I left the space heaters with the coach. The attached post is important reading for those traveling in those temps. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/what...ng-187288.html
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:51 AM   #11

Question...if running Aqua hot while traveling on propane heat/ for cold weather...do you still need to run generator to power fans, pumps etc and to keep batteries charged. Any other advice for cold weather...getting ready to leave north for sunny south...Leaving this 0 weather!!!!!
grr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:04 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
No, the engine alternator will keep the batteries charged while traveling.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grr2000 View Post
Question...if running Aqua hot while traveling on propane heat/ for cold weather...do you still need to run generator to power fans, pumps etc and to keep batteries charged. Any other advice for cold weather...getting ready to leave north for sunny south...Leaving this 0 weather!!!!!

I heat the coach prior to leaving and I turn the temp in the basement higher than what I leave it at normally, so the thermostat would be set on high. I run the heat, the floor and the generator. I carry two Lasco tower heaters under the bed in case of an aquahot failure. You should also travel with several gallons of drinking water and a few gallons so you can use the toilet if you need to dump your water. I put a little RV antifreeze in the tanks just for good measure. Check your tires before you leave. Know the temperature in the basement. When not moving you can always put a heater in the basement if you need to bring the temp up quickly. I have had mine drop 15 degrees in 0 weather with a wind. These coaches can take the cold you just need to prepare for it. We travel in cold weather, but stay put in ice.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:41 PM   #14

Thanks Chuck about the heads up about the hydraulics. Hadn't even considered that.

We may get lucky, if the long range forecasts are correct. They claim our below zero nights are going to be replaced by 20 and above after this coming week.

I went and ahead and bought the temperature monitor with its full compliment of remote sensors mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

My plan is to place sensors at the water pump, fresh water tank, and one other place (central basement?). Then watch the temps as we drive. If we have to take it slow and easy with extended rest stops to let the basement temps recover, that is what we will do.

I have already drained and turned off my refrigerator water line which in our floorplan isn't protected from the cold very well.

Then all I need to do is find a dry road window.

Steve

Tags
winter