RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2019, 07:17 PM   #1

How do I see Cummins engine hours on 2019

OK, I know my memory is not what it used to be, but I swear that I have been able to see the total Cummins engine hours from the dash, but I have looked everywhere that I can think of on the dash an hour ago, the menus of the dash, the VegaTouch and I cannot find it....

Am I confusing it with something I had on my Anthem but don't have available on my Cornerstone, or have I just forgotten to hold my tongue in the right side of my mouth while pushing some critical button or menu.....

I've even stooped to the level of digging out the manual and reading through it with no success.

Please refresh my memory...

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2019, 07:39 PM   #2

If you have the light bar unit just scroll down and you'll see total and idle hours

Not sure what yours is
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:15 PM   #3

I'm not exactly sure what unit you refer to, but on my 15 Anthem, I had a single digital line that displayed information. On this coach, I have a completely digital dash including all gauges.... I think that the information that I am looking for is only going to be relevant to 19 Cornerstones and Anthems and now maybe 20 Cornerstones and Anthems. Thanks for the response however. I think that is how I used to see it on my Anthem.

Gary
Old 07-27-2019, 10:03 PM   #4

Just out of curiosity......, but why would you care? Is there some reason why you need the hours?
Flanz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:55 PM   #5

Paul

Not really.... I just always kept a log of engine hours on my Anthem in a big spreadsheet along with miles, trips, diesel fuel, repairs, emergencies, problems showing up (dates/mileage) etc. I also still keep a log of my Onan hours. That is important for oil and filter changes, but I base Cummins service on months and or miles, not hours, but I like to know how many hours the Cummins has been running.

Gary
Old 07-27-2019, 11:25 PM   #6

Thought I was missing something since all my invoices from Entegra, Spartan, and Cummins only show miles and no hours. I also record everything, but no hours associated with the chassis or the house just mileage. The only hours recorded are with the generator.

So, cant help with your 2019 Entegra...
Flanz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:38 PM   #7

I managed to find the engine hours myself (with a hint from someone unidentified in a PM = Thanks RWPeters)

On my digital Valid dash, one of the displays is called "Settings". To get into the settings, press down on the joy stick and hold for about 5 seconds and you will get a menu with the following options: I/O, System, OBD, J11939, and RVC/CANbus. If you select the OBD option, you will get a screen of OBD warnings or messages that are active or inactive. At the bottom left of that screen it shows the Engine Hours. My engine hours are 439.1 hours as of this afternoon. That is what has accumulated over approximately 15,500 miles of travel.

To get out of each screen, again push down on the joystick for about 5 seconds to toggle back to a prior menu.

Gary
Old 07-30-2019, 08:10 AM   #8

A correction.... anyone with a 19 or 20 knows reference to the J1939 CANbus. I spelled it as J11939 BUS in the post above. That was a typing error... should be J1939.

Now, in another post about static loads, this is interesting. With my coach sitting in the drive way and the engine not running for about a week, I also looked at what was going on on the J1939 CANBus.... to see how active it was. It was sending 450-550 messages PER SECOND up and down the CANbus with the key off, engine off, and just sitting there. That is PER SECOND. So if anyone is wondering how active the various things are that are connected to the CANbus when the coach is idle.... I can conclude that it is apparently quite a few and the bus is very active. If there are ~ 500 messages moving up and down the CANBUS with the coach at idle, maybe that explains why the "blind side sensors" cant manage to get a signal on the bus when you are driving 68 mph before the car is almost past you. Wow... When I discussed this with my NIRVC mechanic and the problem with the blind spot sensor not being of any use, he said he felt that the problem was that the blind spot sensors needed to be on their own bus so that the signal could make it to the dash and the dash ECM module in time to be of some use.... maybe he is right.

Gary
Old 07-30-2019, 08:49 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
A correction.... anyone with a 19 or 20 knows reference to the J1939 CANbus. I spelled it as J11939 BUS in the post above. That was a typing error... should be J1939.

Now, in another post about static loads, this is interesting. With my coach sitting in the drive way and the engine not running for about a week, I also looked at what was going on on the J1939 CANBus.... to see how active it was. It was sending 450-550 messages PER SECOND up and down the CANbus with the key off, engine off, and just sitting there. That is PER SECOND. So if anyone is wondering how active the various things are that are connected to the CANbus when the coach is idle.... I can conclude that it is apparently quite a few and the bus is very active. If there are ~ 500 messages moving up and down the CANBUS with the coach at idle, maybe that explains why the "blind side sensors" cant manage to get a signal on the bus when you are driving 68 mph before the car is almost past you. Wow... When I discussed this with my NIRVC mechanic and the problem with the blind spot sensor not being of any use, he said he felt that the problem was that the blind spot sensors needed to be on their own bus so that the signal could make it to the dash and the dash ECM module in time to be of some use.... maybe he is right.

Gary
So are you saying that it is not necessary to go to the ignition ON mode so the dash will come alive to see the J1939 traffic?
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:41 AM   #10

I had to have the key (ignition on) on to see the digital dash. No Cummins. Now, you are correct, I dont really know if all that traffic is moving up and down the CANbus when the ignition is off, but my assumption is that it is moving up and down the bus as the bus is active (you can see its GREEN light illuminated). I guess that I would have to be able to "see" the traffic through some other process other than the Valid dash to see if that traffic is moving with the dash off.

Gary
Old 07-30-2019, 11:20 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I had to have the key (ignition on) on to see the digital dash. No Cummins. Now, you are correct, I dont really know if all that traffic is moving up and down the CANbus when the ignition is off, but my assumption is that it is moving up and down the bus as the bus is active (you can see its GREEN light illuminated). I guess that I would have to be able to "see" the traffic through some other process other than the Valid dash to see if that traffic is moving with the dash off.

Gary
Got it, thanks. Didn't want to be sitting there waiting for the codes with the engine off.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:37 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Got home about an hour ago and went out and checked. This is the same "Settings" that you will scroll though just pressing the button and scrolling (without the 5-second hold). However, I still never knew that engine hours could be found in that series of screens. Thanks .
Old 07-31-2019, 09:55 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Engine hours can be very important to RVers that don't travel a lot annually. Unfortunately my '07 Itasca doesn't provide hours on the dash screen but can be obtained by service. Thinking about adding panel in engine bay to show me hours later.

RIght now I just divide miles driven by by 35 which gives me a close approximation of hours. This can be important because 250 hours can be accumulated faster than miles or months.

I put over 5000 miles on my DP so far but that was only 3 trips and it has set for 6 months except for trip to dealer for fridge and jack repairs. Using the equation above I'm at 143 hrs +/-.

My Cat service center recommends I change the oil even though I still have 4 months before hitting the 12 month mark since I've been setting for an extended period. I'm planning a trip to AZ which will be about 2,500 to 3,000 miles round trip which would put me past my recommended miles. My belts and hoses are probably original (13 years old) so I am having the engine service done in August after my next trip to MI and then my chassis serviced in Sep.

Drive safe - Richard
Old 08-01-2019, 08:04 AM   #14

Richard

I will look into this issue again, but my system seemed to do nothing about shifting screens or folders unless I depressed the joy stick for ~ 5 seconds. Maybe that is something that was changed when the did the other updates. Not sure. I will play with it again on this next trip.

Gary

Tags
cummins, engine