Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2015, 02:33 PM   #1

How long is too long

time to purchase a new tow vehicle, after looking at rear pass leg room i have a selected new expedition. couple the ford and the 45' coach together and i have about 65' in all.
so my question is how many have been stopped by local law enforcement and was it because of length ?
Ahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2015, 02:52 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I ever had that problem with length just one time, I would print out a photo of the vehicles connected and have its' length measured certified by the DMV, State Police or other government agency with their official seal. Then have it laminated and kept with the vehicle registration for if ever stopped in the future.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I have been towing a double cab PU truck for five years from coast to coast and never had a problem. I had a state trooper dog me once but I think he was looking at plates or a brake cable on the hitch. Has he finally passed me he waved and that is all there was to it. With all the hundreds of RV parks we have stayed in, I have never heard of anyone ever mentioning being stopped for length.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:28 PM   #4

I am longer than that with my F150 and have not had any problems at all. Before the F150 I had a Suburban
Old 01-13-2015, 07:01 PM   #5

We have an Aspire 44B, it is 45' and we tow an Expedition. No questions asked, Ga will actually allow triples but can't be more than 100' on interstate and US Highways😃
Dawg44b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:24 PM   #6

Our coach is 45ft and I tow a stacker that is 35ft. I am over length in all states I believe. I have never had a problem. I was pulled over once for speeding (dont ask). He wrote me up for speed and sent me on my way
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:02 AM   #7

So I'm curious how you are towing a Ford Expedition? It was my understanding that you can't "flat" tow the Expedition?? Others doing this with no problems also?? Tommy

Never mind. I just saw on the Ford website where the 2015 4x4 Expeditions are now flat towable. Will be in my future now!
Ourrvtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:32 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I run about 71 feet with a Ford F-150, so I worried about this when we first started, we knew we'd be traveling in CA because I had read on a thread here that California troopers "...have a tape measure..." So when we passed through the first inspection station entering CA in Spring 2013, I noted the long look I got from the CDOT person standing at the wave through point. Don't know what he was looking at, but he was looking in the direction of my truck and continued as I passed through, as I watched him in the rear view.

That said, spent two months in CA last year with no problems. Have seen a lot of rigs with trailers that where obviously pushing 80 feet. The fact they are out there and not getting stopped even though most states have laws set at 65' suggests no enforcement. I have not read of anyone having an issue if involved in an accident either. So I am a violater, and I guess I am taking a chance, but I have a lot of company

Might add, though, that there are certain roads in some states where they do have length limits, particularly in CA. I'd become familiar with those states, just to make sure you don't end up on a road you don't want to be on.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:59 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Found this link that covers the length of vehicle combinations for each state. I certainly would not use it as a definitive answer as changes to vehicle codes statutes occur annually. Best advice is to check with each state you are going to travel thru if it is a concern for you. I was surprised by the the number of states that limit motorhome length to 40'. Guess I won't be traveling thru those anytime soon.

RVSafely.com
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:17 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We are exactly 65ft with the combo in my signature. We are presently in California where there is a strick limited of 65ft. Glad to not be over the length limit.

That being said I doubt anyone would get stopped for being 1 or 2 feet over. We have never been stopped.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:45 PM   #11

We have a drive shaft disconnect on our 06 Expedition. Works Great😃
Dawg44b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #12

Just drove from FL to CA and back towing a double cab pickup...no issues with law enforcement of any kind.
rcarriere is offline   Reply With Quote