Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2014, 12:36 AM   #1

How Long Should A Decent PDI Take?

My local dealer that I have been working with, as I have been doing my due diligence on a coach purchase, had me come in to see a new 2015 Anthem 44B in Midnight Illusion that they had just gotten in stock. Going over it confirmed for me that this is the floor plan and exterior color scheme that I want.

The coach was already sold and waiting for the new owner to pick up the next day. I asked the rep how long their PDI process takes, 1 or 2 days? He said he could get it done in 4 to 5 hours! Is this even possible to do a thorough PDI, going over all of the systems involved, on a new coach and be comfortable with it? From everything I have been picking up from all of you since I joined this forum, I feel that this timeframe sounds rushed. Especially when your talking about forking over this kind of dough!! I would appreciate your feedback on this. Again, thank you all for sharing your experiences and your knowledge. It is very appreciated!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2014, 04:12 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
A good PDI can be done in 4-5 hours. That is longer then other dealers will spend. It will be impossible to learn all of the systems the first time. If you see too many things wrong with the MH on the PDI, DON"T sign or pay for anything. I made that mistake, one of the biggest in my life, it took me three months to get delivery and I am still working out problems.

I have owned a few MH's and I am still going back to the owners manuals on some of the newer systems. However it is important to spend 3-5 days at the dealer or very close checking everything out to make sure it works before leaving.

As nice as a dealer seems upfront (they all do) it is easier to get items taken care of before they get your money. Once they get your money then appointments have to be made to get most things taken care of.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:53 AM   #3

PDI is pre-delivery, a knowledgeable dealer can inspect a new coach in 4-5 hours fairly easily. If he finds things wrong during the inspection, which normally (statistically) he would, then fixing is a different story...

Actual delivery of the coach (IMO) depends on who you are delivering to. If it is a first coach, I definitely recommend spending 3 days at the dealer with 2 hours every morning spent with the tech. Trying to push the information over 4-5 hours is too much.

If dealing with a customer on his 2nd or 3rd coach, especially if it's the same brand, then often times the customer might know more than the tech... In that case yes, 4-5 hours easily, more like 2!
Old 08-09-2014, 05:46 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post
PDI is pre-delivery, a knowledgeable dealer can inspect a new coach in 4-5 hours fairly easily. If he finds things wrong during the inspection, which normally (statistically) he would, then fixing is a different story...

Actual delivery of the coach (IMO) depends on who you are delivering to. If it is a first coach, I definitely recommend spending 3 days at the dealer with 2 hours every morning spent with the tech. Trying to push the information over 4-5 hours is too much.

If dealing with a customer on his 2nd or 3rd coach, especially if it's the same brand, then often times the customer might know more than the tech... In that case yes, 4-5 hours easily, more like 2!

Totally correct...
Old 08-09-2014, 08:04 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Delivery can be done in that time (or less). Ideally you might request to stay of property, hooked up, for a couple of days to start to use the systems they fly through, while IDing any issues. Gives you an opportunity to ask the questions you don't know are questions, yet. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:11 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I forgot how long the PDI on my Anthem took, but no more than 4-5 hours and we went over almost all the systems. My dealer didn't use the Entegra form, I wasn't aware one existed, so we missed a few items. There is so much information being thrown at you that it is virtually impossible to absorb it all.

Keep in mind, it is an inspection to show that all the systems work, it is not a school to make you proficient in the operation of all the systems. Spend the night(s) to exercise the systems and learn them on your own while you have backup knowledge/repair readily available but I wouldn't expect a multi-day class.
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
It took me three months to get delivery and I am still working out problems.
Don't feel bad, Chuck. So is everybody else, regardless of brand. There are always problems to solve on a machine this complex.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Don't feel bad, Chuck. So is everybody else, regardless of brand. There are always problems to solve on a machine this complex.
I agree, however on mine it seems I have had every problem that has been listed for all of the other Entegra's combined. The last one was a complete rear end assemble. That's the first one I have heard of that had to be replaced. That repair only took two months for Meritor to make up their mind that the rear end was BAD. Three round trips to a truck center for rear end testing They even sent a factory rep from Orlando with sound equipment to prove to them how bad the rear end was, and they still argued about replacing it. It is getting a little old...rant over.

Personally, I would never order a new MH sight unseen again without seeing and spending time in it before signing of the dotted line. No way it will ever happen again.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RW8804
I followed a different process, and I suspect not all dealers would permit what I did. Just after we placed a conditional offer on the coach, with a deposit, my wife and I spent approximately 2 long days testing every item that we could think of. We submitted a fairly long list to the dealer. Not all repairs were complete at the time of delivery (and total payment for the coach), but the dealer committed to the list. At the time of delivery, our "PDI" took about 6 hours, as many items could be skipped, since we had previously tested and learned about them.

By the way, this forum has been a great learning experience during the delivery process.

One week after delivery, I added to the list. We picked the coach up about a month ago, and wanted to use it during the summer, so the repair list is being completed in steps. Thankfully, the dealer is only 100 mi from our home.

This process requires an assumption of good faith that the dealer will honor their commitments. I'm guessing that a lawyer would not approve of our documentation of commitments - but the process seems to be working.

Finally, I have already booked time at the factory near the end of the warranty in order to tidy up anything that the dealer did not complete.
RW8804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Smart move Robert. You being from Canada can appreciate this one. My delivered coach could not pass a Canadian air brake test after the dealer worked on it for a month. The MH had to be sent back to Spartan to have the air system rebuilt because of 30 below delivery temps and all of the freeze damage to the air system. I wish the problems would have stopped there, but they have not.

If the OP can learn from my delivery mistake, please do. I know mine has been a rare one, but it does happen. Entegra has been great taking care of problems that never should have happened and I am glad it is an Entegra for that reason.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:20 PM   #11

A PDI is something we do as techs prior to delivery what it sounds like your talking about is the walk thru with the new owner. On all high end coaches we schedule a full day with the tech and owner If you need more time we can usually work with you. We do a full PDI before the customer sees the coach usually and we spend around 12 hours going over the coach running all the systems and checking fit and finish on all items as well. We road test them fill all the fluids fill the tank and LP. We have a winding hilly bumpy road about a mile from us and I drive every coach over it because it gives me a good feel for the drive ability of the unit. So it is not unusual for us to have 20 hours into prepping and delivering a unit. Can we spot deliver sure anyone can take your money and send you down the road we would rather do it our way but if your in a hurry we can go faster. That applies to delivery day if all you want is to get on the road we can do that. All of our units are inspected the day the arrive so that is another inspection they go thru before we accept the unit into inventory. Our salesmen also spend time with each unit and can answer most of your questions and get you specific details. Myself I do not do specs I work on hundreds of units a year there is no way to remember details of all of them. However I will get you the answers to your questions or make sure your salesman answers them for you. As stated above there are a lot of bells and whistles on these so we try to key in on what you need help with so if your concern is the tv system then we can spend time with that. I always start on the outside and do a full walk around to show you every compartment and how to access and use all those items. Then we go inside and try to go section by section to show you how it all works. Again much of this is up to you I expect questions so if you don't ask I assume ( we know how that works ) you understand and move on. Take notes please it really helps.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to RW8804
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Smart move Robert. You being from Canada can appreciate this one. My delivered coach could not pass a Canadian air brake test after the dealer worked on it for a month. The MH had to be sent back to Spartan to have the air system rebuilt because of 30 below delivery temps and all of the freeze damage to the air system. I wish the problems would have stopped there, but they have not.

If the OP can learn from my delivery mistake, please do. I know mine has been a rare one, but it does happen. Entegra has been great taking care of problems that never should have happened and I am glad it is an Entegra for that reason.
Chuck, I didn't know we had special air brake standards in Canada. We do have some special air brake licensing requirements. But standards as well? Live and learn! I was taught that to avoid freezing (and rusty debris) in the air system, you should blow the air tanks out after every day of driving - even though we have moisture ejectors on Entegras. I do it. I suspect that you know this, but to blow the tanks, pull the three loop cords found deep inside the front passenger tire well. I use the window awning rod to reach in to grab the pull cords.

Of the three air tanks, you should blow out the "wet" tank first. If you can't figure out which pull cord is for the "wet" tank, pull one at a time. Pulling the "wet" tank cord will have no effect on either of the coach's air gauges. Blowing out the other two tanks will affect the gauges.

Sorry if I hijacked this thread...
RW8804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:08 PM   #13

I want to say thank you for all of the feedback and great suggestions from everyone. That is exactly why I joined this forum because of the willingness of this group to share their experiences and knowledge.

Chuck, I have been following your posts very closely and appreciate your thoughts and experience. I have definitely learned to not sign anything or hand over a check until I am completely satisfied with everything. No matter how tempting it may be!!!

Again, thanks to all of you for aiding in and adding to my education on this very complicated but interesting process. Happy and safe travels to all of you!!
Old 08-10-2014, 05:28 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW8804 View Post
Chuck, I didn't know we had special air brake standards in Canada. We do have some special air brake licensing requirements. But standards as well? Live and learn!
That inforamtion was given to me from the buyer of my Travel Supreme. He failed the front end inspection in Canada becasue the ball joint dust covers were cracked. I mentioned my air system leaks and his comment was.... "that would never pass inspection here in Canada." I am guessing there is an extensive inspections on on used MH to get licensed in Canada. I have never heard of ball joint inspections either. Funny thing was I had just had the front end aligned and inspected before putting it up for sale, everything was fine, and gave the receipt to the buyer, but it wouldn't pass inspection in Canada.

You are very correct on how to maintain the air system, however Entegra did not do that, they let the MH sit outside at 30 below then shipped it to me without checking the air system. The dealer tried not once but twice to deliver a MH to me that would loose ALL air with one hour. That MH was unsafe to drive having an air brake system.

That is one thing I did check on the PDI after hearing the air leak(s) (many)...air up the MH when you first walk in, then turn the key on every hour while doing the PDI and check to see if it is holding air. Spartan said loosing 4 lbs an hour is acceptable.