Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2016, 09:40 PM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Dave, THANK YOU for your post, that is exactly what I am experiencing. Hopefully I will have a meeting with PJ tomorrow and maybe get an answer.

I just did another test without the AGS on (it would have started) and it was .4 volts reading difference from the inverter. I lost 40% charge in less than 2 hours.
Chuck, I have been following this thread and hope you get your battery problem fixed soon. I kinda tried to put myself in your shoes and wondered how I would approach it with Entegra.
Don posted what I thought was some valuable info. as to what should be expected from a normal operating battery system. I thought if it was me meeting with PJ tomorrow I would show him Don's posted info. and say, if you ever want to see my tail lights, make mine like this. I'm not trying to interfere or pirate your thread and figure you're probably already aware of this.
Anyway, because of this thread I feel some very useful info has been shared and I will be a little more knowledgeable as to how these battery/inverter systems are supposed to work. If they ever do. JMHO

Good luck, keep us posted.
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2016, 11:45 PM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Dave, THANK YOU for your post, that is exactly what I am experiencing. Hopefully I will have a meeting with PJ tomorrow and maybe get an answer.

I just did another test without the AGS on (it would have started) and it was .4 volts reading difference from the inverter. I lost 40% charge in less than 2 hours.
They had the software glitch on my redo on the Command 30 about 2 weeks before you went to Elkhart, but I called him about the same time as you indicated you were going there. He seemed to have just found out about it, so you may too need to get a revised Command 30 from those folks.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:19 AM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for that info Dave, I am 15 minutes away and that will be one of the first things discussed this morning. I took pictures of the inverter and command 30 panels during the no AGS test last night showing the voltage difference.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:18 AM   #32

Hi Chuck,
WE are now the proud owners of a 14 Anthem.
The previous owners Mike and Jeanne Kangas ( Magic Carpet) have been really helpful throughout our buying experience and beyond.
They first reported a similar problem at the March PDI, Rv One who we purchased it from also checked the batteries and after Summerfest, Bretz load tested the batteries and all report they are fine.
I can have a reading of around 12.4 ish and only have the fridge on and within 2-3 hours it drop's off the cliff, and I have the Co alarm and 10.6.v.
The best I have got during the night was 5 hrs still at 12.1v then in the next hour it alarmed 10.6v.

My issues are also the AGS will not start at factory settings or at 12.2. It attempts to crank, fails once and goes to manual, so in effect I don't have AGS to compensate for the battery volt drop off, so I am stuck with cutting the breaker to the fridge and battery disconnect to get a nights sleep.

My Genny starts just fine manually but the command 30 signal to start at 12,2 doesn't get it to crank enough, and why it only tries once is a problem for me.

I need to get this fixed asap as we want to go to dry camp rally's and Quartzite Entegra group in January.

My Local Cummins Dealer has a so called Onan Expert and I will be discussing all this with him when he gets back from Vacation soon.

I look forward to your findings and maybe we can both learn why we don't have the same battery life the others get.

Thanks Dave.
Rollin Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:48 AM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Dave,
Here is a post that might help you with the AGS. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/if-y...-a-299220.html

I will post what I find with the battery charging situation....if anything.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:25 PM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Dave, DSL417 was right on with the solution to the problem, thanks Dave! When Cummins/Onan reprogrammed my Command 30 to 4.0 they blew a module in the control head. Not only was it reading .5 volts low, starting the generator early, but it was screwing up the reading on the inverter panels as well. I went to Onan in Elkhart today and was given a new Command 30 control head. Mine checked out as bad. Everything is now reading perfect. As soon as it cools off we will go on battery power tonight to test everything out.

CABLE CONNECTIONS
Spent 1/2 an hour with PJ checking out all of the battery connections. Entegra changed battery wiring three time in a short period of time with different wiring diagrams. The extra ground cable on the right battery now goes to chassis ground on both banks of batteries. The reason was trying to eliminate GPS and other electrical malfunctions. They found the more grounds the better so all battery banks started getting grounded to the chassis. The changes were late 2013, mid 2014 and more in 2015.

I just looked at another 2014 in the parking lot with the same problems I was having......the battery connections were "dead lead". I have a feeling his charge is not getting to his batteries as they are in need of cleaning. Dirty battery connections will not accept a charge.

Thanks to the feedback, hopefully the problem is resolved, it gave us a direction to look. This post was sent to PJ and it was a big help diagnosing the problem.

Voltdoc is correct, another volt meter is needed. I found out today, the factory meters are all tied together, one reads bad, they all read bad.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:46 PM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
batteries

you wanted to know how long batteries lasted, mine lasted at least 22 hrs when on side of road with only frig running, hope this helps
hobart22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:30 PM   #36

We have a 2013 Anthem with the original batterys. We dry camped at both Big Sky and Cheyenne afterwards. Auto gen set to start at 12.1, and quiet hours 10:00pm to 8:00am. We set it and let it do its thing. Batterys were at 12.2 and 12.3 in the morning. I would turn the auto gen off if I needed to brew coffee because that would start the generator. Once coffee brewed I would turn auto gen back on and generator would start about 9:30 to 10:00. As for power usage we would run the TV and some bedroom lights til about 11:30 then only frig, ceiling fan and occasional flush motor.
hikndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:33 AM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
Overnight test went fine, still 12.3v this morning. A bad Command 30 was the problem.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:53 AM   #38

I am having same issue batteries lasting 4-5 hrs with nothing on but ref, my first yr it would last 9-10 hr no problem with tv ect. Hoping to find answer this week. Good luck on your problem.
raceday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:09 AM   #39

Chuck, glad you got the electrical problem solved. We are hoping that the RV GODS will look favorably upon you and let you go more than three days without a new problem. Have a great trip.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:51 AM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
Rolling Stone, after reading your post again, I would have the Command 30, AGS updated and also clean all of the battery terminals. Our coaches are 2 years old and due for terminal cleaning. A full charge cannot get into the batteries if the terminals are dirty and that sounds like your problem if they are load testing OK. Hope that's all it is.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:24 AM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Overnight test went fine, still 12.3v this morning. A bad Command 30 was the problem.
Chuck,

Glad you got things worked out. Interesting how the EC-30 can mess things up.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:00 AM   #42

Entegra Owners Club
Chuck, does the indicated voltage on your AGS now equal the voltage on the inverter? I just had my AGS updated and now it reads .5 volt less than the inverter reads.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries