Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2015, 06:28 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
How to change Onan QD 10000 Fuel Filter?

How do I change the fuel filter on the Cummins Onan QD 10,000 Fuel Filter? Thanks.
pttaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2015, 08:07 PM   #2

I think that it is the same process that I had on my 7.5 KW Onan. My fuel filter was an aluminum rectangle with two brass fittings on it on one side, one for the fuel in and one for the fuel out. The trick was to be very careful with the brass fittings on both the compression ends on the two diesel lines to avoid cross threading. There were some YouTube videos of the process, and everyone said to be sure that you do not cross thread the brass fittings. The other useful hint that I found on the web was that the guy tied socks on his wrists on both hands before he started. The reason for the "sock cuffs" was to keep the diesel fuel from running down your arm as you remove the copper lines from the filter. The diesel will bleed out through both lines and more from the diesel tank/pump and you will get it on you. I followed the advice and used the "sock cuffs", and they really worked. I loosened the filter first, then removed the outflow line, and then quickly the inflow line, and did it over a drain pan so any diesel fuel was caught. I worried about doing it a lot before I got started, but the process went really easily. Maybe some guys on here have some greater experience with the process.... only did it once on my Dynasty, but plan to do it on this Anthem when it is needed.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:06 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Where is the fuel filter located?

My real question is. Where is the fuel filter located on the Onan QD 10000? And how to access the fuel filter? Thanks
pttaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:26 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Page 3-6 of the owners manual. Tip, tie a rag around the lower fuel line, it will help to stop fuel from running down your arm when you loosen the line.
https://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/...s/981-0173.pdf
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #5

I am about to service my Onan 10000 for the first time and if I understand the process well enough, the fuel filter is accessed through the front access panel unlike the 7000 series which is removed through a bottom access panel. The filter is at the bottom of the compartment slightly to the right directly under the #1 injector.
macraekw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:41 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Folks are describing a process (sock around wrist) that was helpful with the 7.5 and 8.0 QD's where you access the fuel filter from the bottom of the generator. On the QD 10K, the fuel filter is just inside the side access door, lower right.

I just serviced mine today and I've decided I will just let the folks at Cummins do mine beginning with my next annual maintenance. The oil filter is easy but both the air filter and especially the fuel filter is a real pain. You must remove the coolant recovery tank to get to the air filter and it is still tight in there.

For the fuel filter, my manual suggests first removing the filter bracket from the frame (bolts thru the lower side of the generator enclosure) then lift the filter and bracket out, remove the filter from the bracket, remove the fuel supply and return lines, then reverse to install the new filter. Even so, getting the filter/bracket out of mine is a PITA. Whomever designed these things just never had to service them. In fact, other than the fuel wanting to run down your arm, filter swaps were easier with my old QD 7.5 than this 10K unit.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:59 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, it's not easy getting to that filter. Been there, done that. However, with a pair of flare nut wrenches and my Snap-On right angle open ends it really isn't all that bad. They designed those generators to be compact so they will fit but didn't give a whole lot of thought to serviceability - especially for that air filter.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:51 PM   #8

Thanks Cruzer. Despite what Smlranger describes as a PITA process, I think that I will tackle it using your suggestions. TIP: I've also found that you can get some cheap Harbor Freight flare wrenches and cut them in half so that you can get some more working room.
macraekw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:18 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't needed shorter flare nut wrenches. If anything, you'll need the length to break the fittings loose. There is enough swing for that. Those offset open end wrenches from Snap-On are a lifesaver though. Once the fittings are loose they make it much easier to get a good angle on the fittings and swap the wrench around if needed for the next swing.

http://public.snapon.com/R_RRD/Objec...s/VSM5214B.jpg
Old 10-09-2015, 07:45 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Anyone know the size wrench needed for the filter fitting's? Thanks.

Dave
Old 10-10-2015, 07:50 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Not off hand I don't but I do know that they were not metric because I don't have metric offset wrenches. There were varying sizes, most likely in thee 1/2" to 11/16" range.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:21 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Cruzer.

Dave
Old 04-01-2016, 03:35 PM   #13

Easy way to change fuel filter on ONAN 10k Quiet Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
Yep, it's not easy getting to that filter. Been there, done that. However, with a pair of flare nut wrenches and my Snap-On right angle open ends it really isn't all that bad. They designed those generators to be compact so they will fit but didn't give a whole lot of thought to serviceability - especially for that air filter.
I have been dreading this filter change, so I looked on iRV2 to see if there was a simple way to do this and was about to order special wrenches to allow me to work in the tight spot where the filter is located. I kept thinking there had to be a better way. There is!!

Onan left us a lot of extra hose for a reason.

1. Remove the center nut that holds the filter to the bracket. A standard ratchet works fine for this.
2. After the nut is removed, Push the filter toward the rear of the generator about 2-3 inches. This is why the hoses were left so long!
3. Swing the lower hose toward the engine so it will clear the bracket, and then raise it up and rest it on the top of the bracket.
4. Now that both hoses are on top of the bracket, simply pull the filter back to the front and hang it outside the enclosure were you can easily work on it.
5. From there, just follow your normal procedure for swapping the filter and then reverse the instructions to re-install.

It took about 60 seconds to get the filter out of the enclosure.

I hope this helps as you guys have helped me on numerous occasions.

Dennis
rv40072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:03 PM   #14

Speedco does mine. Oil, filter, fuel filter for about $50. I watched the process. No way I wanna do that.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, onan