Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2016, 08:04 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Does anybody know WHY Entegra is using the Onan EC-30 for AGS rather than the Magnum AGS which mates with our installed Magnum inverters and remote?
The Magnum AGS isn't a bad unit but the Onan EC-30 is a better AGS. It's easily at the top of the class and is a standalone component that doesn't depend on an inverter's network. It features pre-emptive programming that will start your generator early when in quiet mode if it determines that trends indicate it will otherwise need to start during quiet mode. It also displays readable diagnostic code information and a few other things.

The only downside is that the EC-30 is a one-piece component. The panel that you see is not a remote display to a main module. It actually contains everything. This mean that there are a ton of wires going to the unit. That's not a problem for an OEM installation but if you wanted to add one as an aftermarket component you would have to fish something like 14 wires up to that overhead location.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2016, 08:29 AM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjw View Post
Chuck,
I can't remember when (what year) Entegra changed this but I need to test my classic 2015 and see if the gen will start without shore power. If it doesn't, this makes no sense - I would think that when you lose shore power and/or your battery level drops to a set level the gen would come on/go off as required until shore power was restored.

If it does not, I guess I am going to have to figure out a "fix" - I would want my gen to come on (if EC-30 set to Auto...) when I lost shore power, the temp got too high, or the batteries dropped to there low level set point. All three of these situations make sense to me - am I missing something here? Did Entegra miss something when they wired up the EC-30?
Greg, I don't know when the change did take place. A call to CS with your coach # should be able to tell you when the change took place or maybe someone else here knows.

On my 14, I had to have a transformer wired into the system for the AGS to work with the loss of power if the batteries or A/C called for the need and the AGS was switched to "auto". Mine from the factory was not wired for loss of shore power. There is a very lengthy post about the conversion I believe in 2014.

I think this is the post. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/auto...rt-199208.html
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:02 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

You really don't want the generator to start just because shore power is lost unless one of two conditions exist - either the battery voltage is too low or the thermostat has called for cooling.

When we park overnight in a truck stop I enable the AGS. There is no shore power and the generator doesn't kick in unless I set the thermostat for A/C use (which I wouldn't do in that situation) or until the battery voltage drops below the threshold. Typically we can run things all night (fridge, entertainment DVRs and TV, lights, Aqua-Hot burner, etc.) and the generator won't kick in. When we get up in the morning it sometimes kicks in when the hair drier is used because the inverter tasks the batteries just enough to drop the battery voltage beneath the set point for the AGS to kick in. Maybe we need a smaller hair drier than the blastomatic. But either way, we don't want the generator to start just because there is no shore power. We want to wait until one of the other two conditions is present.

The transformer issue doesn't affect the low voltage AGS startup. It does affect the thermostat startup of the AGS. The transformer is typically mounted on the shore power side of the transfer switch and detects loss of shore power. The EC-30 needs to know this so that it doesn't kick in the generator whenever the thermostat calls for cooling unless the shore power has failed. But the EC-30 needs 12 volts (AC or DC), not 120 VAC, so the transformer is required. The 2016s (and probably the 2015s) came with the TRC 41260 transfer switch that was equipped with an internal transformer that fed the EC-30's shore power sense. It's a modular 2 prong plug that plugs into the transfer switch.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:24 AM   #32
gjw

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
The transformer issue doesn't affect the low voltage AGS startup. It does affect the thermostat startup of the AGS. The transformer is typically mounted on the shore power side of the transfer switch and detects loss of shore power. The EC-30 needs to know this so that it doesn't kick in the generator whenever the thermostat calls for cooling unless the shore power has failed. But the EC-30 needs 12 volts (AC or DC), not 120 VAC, so the transformer is required. The 2016s (and probably the 2015s) came with the TRC 41260 transfer switch that was equipped with an internal transformer that fed the EC-30's shore power sense. It's a modular 2 prong plug that plugs into the transfer switch.
Mark,
As is usually the case, your explanation makes sense. I can see where I don't need the gen to start just because shore power is lost. I know the gen will kick in when batteries are low on my 44B - this works all the time, provided it is set not to run the batteries down too low...

I will have to test the A/C set up - this feature I have not tested yet - I'll need to test this feature, I'm sure the little dog would probably not appreciate being cooked to death in overly hot weather if she was home alone...

Thanks for the explanation, and nice article in FMCA about entertainment systems...
2020 Chevy Equinox Premier 2.0T 2LZ FWD
gjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:32 AM   #33

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
What causes the EC-30 to display the "ignition on-off" msg. when switching from manual to auto? While troubleshooting the ME-RC, where, Duh! me, thought the AGS problem was, I kept getting the msg. I had not a clue what it meant or what to do. CS had me switch the ignition on & off to clear it and said I would be good to go. I was left thinking the two box's were tied together and kept programming the ME-RC AGS settings. I wish CS would have told me to forget the ME-RC and program the EC-30. They couldn't tell me what causes the "ignition on-off code. Supposed to call today to let them know how everything turned out.

A big Thanks to MSUSA14's post last night for letting me know the EC-30 is what I should be programming and not the ME-RC. I'll continue checking the AGS this morning. I appreciate all the information being shared on the subject. Hopefully it will prevent someone else from making the same mistake I did Thanks,
pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:38 AM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
I sure didn't mean to make it so confusing. I thought I mentioned the generator would only come on if the batteries or A/C required power and shore power is lost. I remember from a few years ago this subject was very confusing and it looks like it still is. Glad Mark explained it.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:45 AM   #35

[QUOTE=FreshAir;2998603]What causes the EC-30 to display the "ignition on-off" msg. when switching from manual to auto?

That is the Safety Signal Verification. It is explained in the manual on page 4.
Bpeter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:49 AM   #36
gjw

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I sure didn't mean to make it so confusing. Glad Mark explained it.
Chuck,
You weren't confusing at all - I think you and I just don't have the same way with words that Mark has acquired... LOL
2020 Chevy Equinox Premier 2.0T 2LZ FWD
gjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:57 AM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
[QUOTE=Bpeter2;2998622]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
What causes the EC-30 to display the "ignition on-off" msg. when switching from manual to auto?

That is the Safety Signal Verification. It is explained in the manual on page 4.
Thank's, that explains it. I'll read the manual this AM as I thought I didn't have one until I found it last night.
Pat
FMCA 212171
Old 03-29-2016, 11:18 AM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjw View Post
Chuck,
You weren't confusing at all - I think you and I just don't have the same way with words that Mark has acquired... LOL
That's why Mark is a paid writer and I had to have girlfriends help to pass English I took typing in HS because there was 33 girls and only 2 guys in the class I never dreamed it would pay off the way it did, both then and now.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:35 AM   #39

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
That's why Mark is a paid writer and I had to have girlfriends help to pass English I took typing in HS because there was 33 girls and only 2 guys in the class I never dreamed it would pay off the way it did, both then and now.

CHUCK: STOP BRAGGING or BSing

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
CHUCK: STOP BRAGGING or BSing

Back then I found out about all the parties.....today I can play on the forum without using just two fingers. Now if I only made sense when I typed.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:10 PM   #41

I have yet to find the Magnum inverter in my '16 Aspire 42 DEQ. I have checked ceilings in every bay! Suggestions???
midasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:39 PM   #42

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by midasman View Post
I have yet to find the Magnum inverter in my '16 Aspire 42 DEQ. I have checked ceilings in every bay! Suggestions???
My 2016 Aspire 42RBQ, from front, 2nd compartment between frame rails , look up, it's white apx 12"x 10"x 8" mounted on the floor of the coach. Two large battery cables connected to it.
FMCA 212171

Tags
inverter