Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2022, 04:46 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglee25 View Post
Don't these rigs do load shed management?

Ie two ACs are on, you start up the microwave and the one AC compressor is shed temporarily while the microwave is used. Once completed the AC restarts?
I have had 3 Entegrss, non of them have load shed. However the Progressive EMS that is installed, will shut the AC down at 108v before shutting power to the coach off. If you manual shed loads, the Progressive will let the AC come back on.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2022, 06:31 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
The charger will pull the most from shore power after you first plug in for at least an hour or two, then diminish gradually as the batteries reach full charge.
Will give it a try - I've been doing it manually. When first connected, I only run on one AC until the batteries goes to float. Then turn on the second.
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:18 AM   #17

I think you have found the best way to figure it out. Try it. The worst that can happen is a circuit breaker will trip. If so, shut something "off".
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 09:54 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I have read that the whole RV Soft Start will trip out some built in surge guards.

It seems that when it attempts to ramp up the power, the voltage drops below the surge protectors threshold and it shuts down the power. Then everything resets as it trys again and again.
Do you know specifically which products? I have a built in Progressive HW50C.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:16 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I have had 3 Entegrss, non of them have load shed. However the Progressive EMS that is installed, will shut the AC down at 108v before shutting power to the coach off. If you manual shed loads, the Progressive will let the AC come back on.
Hey Chuck, your 2019 and 2021 don't have load shed systems? Maybe it's done in the Vegatouch software? Or maybe on the '21 at least you have the single Hybrid inverter which can reduce or eliminate the need for load shed?

My 2013 didn't have it but my 2017 does in the form of a Precision Circuits Mini. It shuts down the AC element on the water heater first, next the rear AC, then the front AC, then the mid AC.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:33 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I have read that the whole RV Soft Start will trip out some built in surge guards.

It seems that when it attempts to ramp up the power, the voltage drops below the surge protectors threshold and it shuts down the power. Then everything resets as it trys again and again.

Quote:
Do you know specifically which products? I have a built in Progressive HW50C.
I just ordererd the softstart plug-in model. I too have a built in Progressive HW50C, but it can be switched off when using the Softstart, and the Softstart plug-in unit has its own surge protector built into it.

I think this is a great solution, because this way I can choose which two of my three A/Cs I want to run at any given time.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:43 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Hey Chuck, your 2019 and 2021 don't have load shed systems? Maybe it's done in the Vegatouch software? Or maybe on the '21 at least you have the single Hybrid inverter which can reduce or eliminate the need for load shed?

My 2013 didn't have it but my 2017 does in the form of a Precision Circuits Mini. It shuts down the AC element on the water heater first, next the rear AC, then the front AC, then the mid AC.
Rob, if it does have load shed, I am not aware of it. The 21 still has the duel inverters. I run the AC in storage in the hanger on 20 amp. The Progressive shuts the AC off before anything. Guess I need to get out and use the 21 on 30 amp to find out which one will shed loads first.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:46 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

Rob, I'm in the middle on this issue - '18 Anthem.

From the VegaTouch 2018 User's Manual Revision 2:

Shed Order

These devices will be shed in the following order if AC power levels become insufficient:
Chargers
Electric AquaHot
Mid AC/Heat Pump
Front AC/Heat Pump
Bed AC/Heat Pump

Testing Shed Logic

The shed logic is built into the Logic Controller (which is the Outboard LC on the versions page).

To see if the shed logic is working properly, ensure that you coach is plugged into 2-phase shore power.
Go to the settings page (gear icon) and set the Shore Power to 5 amps. Turn on all ACís and Electric AquaHot. Youíll see that the devices will begin to shed. Once they have shed, increase the Shore Power setting by 5 amps at a time. The Bedroom and Front ACís should both turn on between 15-20 amps. Next, the Mid AC and Electric AquaHot should turn on between 30-35 amps. Lastly, the chargers will kick in and use any leftover power as needed.

Take care,
Stu
Old 08-04-2022, 11:20 AM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've tried running two rooftop units on 30A at home for a few hours.

Rear of my coach where the cord reel lives is about 80' from my hookup. Even with my Hughes Autoformer inline, I ended up pulling 28A, voltage drop wasn't too bad, but after several hours running, one of the plugs between two 30A extension cords was beginning to melt!

You may do better with a shorter run to the shore power, and only the short 50-30A dogbone.
Old 08-04-2022, 11:30 AM   #24
Official iRV2 Sponsor

To run 2 a/c's you need to plug in directly to the outlet. Not add an extension cord. You will are going to cause some issue either in your coach or at the plug.
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration

SM Nashville 972-697-6325
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 11:46 AM   #25

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yep!

Every connection is a possible failure point. Especially the smaller prongs 30A plugs have.
Old 08-05-2022, 06:48 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Quote:

I just ordererd the softstart plug-in model. I too have a built in Progressive HW50C, but it can be switched off when using the Softstart, and the Softstart plug-in unit has its own surge protector built into it.

I think this is a great solution, because this way I can choose which two of my three A/Cs I want to run at any given time.
Marc, I ordered one as well, agree if needed the Progressive can be shut down easily.The docs for the app are fairly comprehensive and it sounds like there is a good deal of configurability to the system so I'm hopeful for a successful test. For anyone interested you can view the docs here.

I have a secondary use for this as well on our 30A boat, will just need an adapter.

If you think the RV 30A connectors burn up easily, the Marine versions are 10x worse.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uwQaaUyS6dRFdhFu8
Old 08-06-2022, 09:40 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
I have a 16...I haven't looked up whether it has load shed or not. My 06 Fleetwood had it and it worked really well surprisingly.
Old 08-06-2022, 12:21 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I've tried running two rooftop units on 30A at home for a few hours.

Rear of my coach where the cord reel lives is about 80' from my hookup. Even with my Hughes Autoformer inline, I ended up pulling 28A, voltage drop wasn't too bad, but after several hours running, one of the plugs between two 30A extension cords was beginning to melt!

You may do better with a shorter run to the shore power, and only the short 50-30A dogbone.
Assuming you used a 30 amp or more rated extension cord, the melted plug means it was defective in design, build, damaged, or corroded. If it was properly designed, built, and in good condition the circuit breaker should have tripped before the melt occurred.

The autoformer increases current to maintain voltage. That is why the system appeared to have very little voltage drop. A lower resistance power cord system would have had lower current with about the same voltage.

Certainly a shorter run will reduce resistance and decrease voltage loss. Larger copper wires and fewer connectors will also reduce the resistance and thus the voltage loss.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anthem