Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-03-2022, 01:36 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Loudon Tn
Posts: 1,066
How to run AC on 30 amp 2021 Anthem

Sorry guys for dumb question but I have never run my Acs on 30 amp. Couldn't find 50 amp campground for Labor Day so need to make 30 amp work. Thanks in advance for all imput.

safe travels all
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2022, 02:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
TXiceman's Avatar


 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Full Time, TX Home Base
Posts: 21,950
Blog Entries: 21
On 30 amp you can run one A/C unit and maybe two units if you are lucky and run nothing else...like microwave, electric water heater, electric fridge, coffee make, etc.

On your electric panel, watch the amp draw.

Ken
__________________
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 02:50 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,615
Agree, but (OK LARGE BUT) monitor voltage.


In older CG's with only 30 amp power, the electrical grid is often totally overwhelmed by the power consumption of modern RV's.


If voltage falls below 108 VAC, do NOT use it. Start the generator-- a lot less $$ than buying new appliances.
__________________
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38FDDS. Ex: 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 03:12 PM   #4
Member
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 657
I would run only ac in the day time. Close your window shades and possibly setup a curtain between driver and passenger seats. This will cut down on a lot of heat. In the evening when the sun gone down completely, you can possibly run 2 a/c's. But nothing else except for tvs. No coffee, no blow dryer, maybe a fan. No microwave. Must turn one unit off to run these other components. I would run the genset during the day to try to cut down on the heat. That will also allow the units to run better and at a lower amp draw in the evening.
__________________
.
NATIONAL INDOOR RV CENTERS - NIRVC
Sales | Service | Indoor Storage | Wash
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration


SM Nashville 972-697-6325
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 03:27 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
On 30 amp you can run one A/C unit and maybe two units if you are lucky and run nothing else...like microwave, electric water heater, electric fridge, coffee make, etc.

On your electric panel, watch the amp draw.

Ken
You hopefully will be able to run the front and rear "leave the middle off & everything else not needed" - It will also work better if you set the shore power setting down from 50 to 30 amps.
__________________
2018 Entegra Anthem 44B- Streaming/Direct TV
Verizon / T-Mobile 5G / FMCA ATT / Starlink
Buick Encore GX AWD
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 03:47 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Gary.Jones's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 10,637
Blog Entries: 1
Everyone is giving you good advice on two ACs max....nothing else.

Also, Bobby is giving you good advice.... watch your voltages coming into the coach with just 2 ACs on. Many 30 amp RV parks have a serious low voltage problem when the loads across all sites/units is really pulling the park electrical system heavily (mid afternoon, summer, with everyone pulling AC loads).

I carry an Hughes autoformer which can raise voltage but does so by pulling additional amperage, but often that is the problem.... too much amperage being pulled and then dragging down the voltage. Be careful of low voltage ... it will really distress your AC units if it is too low.

Gary
__________________
Gary and Dee, Zowie and Bowie (traveling cat sibs)
2019 Cornerstone 45B, X15-605hp, Imperial, Spartan K3,
2013 Honda CR-V toad, Demco Excali-Bar II,
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 04:21 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
voltdoc's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East Greenwich, RI
Posts: 1,831
Two AC's can theoretically run fine on 30A, each will draw 10 amps or so while running. The problem is when they start up - the locked rotor current is a huge (but very fast) power spike and if one AC (or some other large load) is already running, that big spike will usually trip the 30A shore breaker.

One way around this is to install an EasyStart device on each AC unit. These "modulate" the start up spike so it is essentially reduced in intensity and the shore breaker won't trip. They are fairly expensive ($300 each?) and require some electrical knowhow to install.

A relatively new version is a plug in model that you simply plug into the 30A shore power pole and it manages start up spikes for the entire coach. Best of all there is no installation. It's also pricey, but at the intro price equals the cost of two EasyStart units, so if you have a 3 AC coach it could represent a 30% savings.

Also, if you are thinking about installing Lithium house batteries and running your AC off them, an easy start device is probably mandatory to keep the inverter from freaking out.

I have no affiliation with the vendors mentioned, nor have I used either of the products. I am thinking tho that it would be nice to have one of those plug-in units on hand for certain situations we occasionally encounter.
__________________
Rob & Linda https://MyQuantumDiscovery.com
2017 Entegra Aspire 44B - 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland
2013 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 04:23 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
voltdoc's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East Greenwich, RI
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike625 View Post
You hopefully will be able to run the front and rear "leave the middle off & everything else not needed" - It will also work better if you set the shore power setting down from 50 to 30 amps.
Actually, you want to set the charger draw down to the lowest it will go which I think is 5 Amps.
__________________
Rob & Linda https://MyQuantumDiscovery.com
2017 Entegra Aspire 44B - 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland
2013 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 04:45 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Actually, you want to set the charger draw down to the lowest it will go which I think is 5 Amps.
Just to understand - why, because I will try this the next time????
__________________
2018 Entegra Anthem 44B- Streaming/Direct TV
Verizon / T-Mobile 5G / FMCA ATT / Starlink
Buick Encore GX AWD
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:13 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
voltdoc's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East Greenwich, RI
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike625 View Post
Just to understand - why, because I will try this the next time????

Because then the charger will be limited to drawing 5 amps from your available 30A of shore power leaving you with up to 25 amps for other stuff. There is really no difference between the 30A and 50A shore power limits, the charger should never draw 50A from the AC side and I doubt even 30A. But setting it to 5A limit will ensure you give your batteries a charge (at a somewhat slower rate) and still help ensure enough capacity for other AC loads.

The charger will pull the most from shore power after you first plug in for at least an hour or two, then diminish gradually as the batteries reach full charge.
__________________
Rob & Linda https://MyQuantumDiscovery.com
2017 Entegra Aspire 44B - 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland
2013 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:41 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 30,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Two AC's can theoretically run fine on 30A, each will draw 10 amps or so while running. The problem is when they start up - the locked rotor current is a huge (but very fast) power spike and if one AC (or some other large load) is already running, that big spike will usually trip the 30A shore breaker.



One way around this is to install an EasyStart device on each AC unit. These "modulate" the start up spike so it is essentially reduced in intensity and the shore breaker won't trip. They are fairly expensive ($300 each?) and require some electrical knowhow to install.



A relatively new version is a plug in model that you simply plug into the 30A shore power pole and it manages start up spikes for the entire coach. Best of all there is no installation. It's also pricey, but at the intro price equals the cost of two EasyStart units, so if you have a 3 AC coach it could represent a 30% savings.



Also, if you are thinking about installing Lithium house batteries and running your AC off them, an easy start device is probably mandatory to keep the inverter from freaking out.



I have no affiliation with the vendors mentioned, nor have I used either of the products. I am thinking tho that it would be nice to have one of those plug-in units on hand for certain situations we occasionally encounter.
I have read that the whole RV Soft Start will trip out some built in surge guards.

It seems that when it attempts to ramp up the power, the voltage drops below the surge protectors threshold and it shuts down the power. Then everything resets as it trys again and again.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:51 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
RVFunlovers's Avatar


 
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 860
I just spent 6 days on 30 amp. 2 air conditioners running with no issues. When we need anything other than lights or tv we turned one air off first.

Outdoor temp was low 90’s. Coach stayed comfortable. We much prefer 50 amp which is really 50 amp x 2. When you compare that to 30 amp x 1 it is a big reduction. 30 vs 100.

One air with microwave or stove was no problem.

We used diesel hot water only. We never tripped any breaker but had to remember to turn air off first when doing anything in the kitchen. No issues with two air and tv or lights.

I also turned off the outdoor cooler and wine fridge for the week.. First we moved beer into the main fridge of course.

Our volts were fine at about 118.

It was hot out and even with window shades down and magna shade one air would not keep up in the afternoons.
__________________
Hal and Pam Navarre
2022 Entegra Cornerstone W
2020 Ford Edge ST
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:31 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 320
Don't these rigs do load shed management?

Ie two ACs are on, you start up the microwave and the one AC compressor is shed temporarily while the microwave is used. Once completed the AC restarts?
__________________
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
Douglee25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 04:38 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
RVFunlovers's Avatar


 
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglee25 View Post
Don't these rigs do load shed management?

Ie two ACs are on, you start up the microwave and the one AC compressor is shed temporarily while the microwave is used. Once completed the AC restarts?

I was wondering if the power management system would do just that.

I decided to just use the Hal shed management system and not push my luck.

I was surprised how well we ran on 2 airís. But of course 50 amp service is the way to go unless not available.
__________________
Hal and Pam Navarre
2022 Entegra Cornerstone W
2020 Ford Edge ST
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
anthem



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anthem :: 2021 Entegra Anthem Cr8havoc iRV2 Owners Registry 0 05-02-2021 06:20 PM
Handicap RV Information & Class B & Coach Conversions & Newmar 2021 Mobility Group "007" Class A Motorhome Discussions 54 01-02-2021 07:51 AM
2021 Anthem vs 2021 Aspire lands Entegra Owner's Forum 13 06-07-2020 01:04 PM
To run or not to run..that is the question Jimbo8264 iRV2.com General Discussion 7 11-18-2006 04:30 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.