Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2021, 08:57 AM   #1

HVAC Compressor not always kicking on

Has anyone had this experience or know what is happening?

2 times (each time a year apart from each other) we have had our middle AC malfunction. The middle unit starts blowing air when we request a lower than interior temp but the compressor will not kick on. We can keep turning the AC unit off and leaving off for 30 minutes to and hour long then re-attempting to request cool air but the compressor will still not kick on and only hot air blows. Even manual override will not make the compressor kick on. On both occasions this happened we then turned unit off for a whole day. Both times after the unit has been off an entire day the unit starts to function the next day correctly with the compressor kicking on again and cool air blowing. We have asked several service people and we have been told ... can’t fix unless unit is currently having the issue.... so we still have not able to make the appropriate repair.

Any idea what this could be? Starter in actual AC unit? One repair man said low voltage house batteries but we did not think this would have anything to do with our issue.

2018 Anthem 44 B
Steve and Daphne Stanford
Xpress21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2021, 11:50 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I am not an HVAC expert and I HATE intermittent problems. I do know that if your A/C has been running a while with low refrigerant it will freeze up and kick the compressor off. And when you try to set it to turn on it won't start again until the ice melts. But it sounds as though you are setting it when it hasn't been running; and it doesn't happen all the time.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:26 PM   #3

I just helped someone on FaceBook 911 forum fix his unit doing the exact same thing -

First - unplug or turn off power to the unit. Then go up on the roof and remove the shroud off the top of the unit, and then access the electrical box where all the wires connect from the compressor and the fan.

#1 - look for any burned wires. Very common to find wires that have burned open at the crimp,connectors.
#2 - inspect all terminal connections to the fan/comp run capacitor and the hard start device. The start device (usually a black colored “D” size battery or longer looking thing) tend to fail themselves.
And since the fan is running, the run cap is likely Ok - but they’re cheap, so if in doubt, replace it.
#3 - if any wire is partially discolored and the insulation is blackened and stiff, it is very likely failed and needs to be replaced. Best to use soldered on connections as they won’t fail like a crimped connector will.

Don’t let anyone tell you to check the refrigerant. These units are factory sealed and there is no way to check it - besides the fact that any unit manufactured in the last 20 have been designed to minimize leak points, a result of EPA regulation.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:49 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress21 View Post
Has anyone had this experience or know what is happening?

......compressor will still not kick on and only hot air blows.....

2018 Anthem 44 B
Steve and Daphne Stanford
You mention hot air blows, are you sure your compressor is not kicking on? If the hot air is warmer than ambient, i would suspect a problem with the reversing coil (not sure of the proper name). That is assuming this is a heat pump.
Old 06-24-2021, 01:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysfb View Post
I am not an HVAC expert and I HATE intermittent problems. I do know that if your A/C has been running a while with low refrigerant it will freeze up and kick the compressor off. And when you try to set it to turn on it won't start again until the ice melts. But it sounds as though you are setting it when it hasn't been running; and it doesn't happen all the time.
Good idea to check for freezing up and low Freon

I believe the last time it happened we had run the unit on 67 that evening most all night because it was so humid outside and stuffy inside. Thank you.
Old 06-24-2021, 01:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
I just helped someone on FaceBook 911 forum fix his unit doing the exact same thing -

First - unplug or turn off power to the unit. Then go up on the roof and remove the shroud off the top of the unit, and then access the electrical box where all the wires connect from the compressor and the fan.

#1 - look for any burned wires. Very common to find wires that have burned open at the crimp,connectors.
#2 - inspect all terminal connections to the fan/comp run capacitor and the hard start device. The start device (usually a black colored “D” size battery or longer looking thing) tend to fail themselves.
And since the fan is running, the run cap is likely Ok - but they’re cheap, so if in doubt, replace it.
#3 - if any wire is partially discolored and the insulation is blackened and stiff, it is very likely failed and needs to be replaced. Best to use soldered on connections as they won’t fail like a crimped connector will.

Don’t let anyone tell you to check the refrigerant. These units are factory sealed and there is no way to check it - besides the fact that any unit manufactured in the last 20 have been designed to minimize leak points, a result of EPA regulation.

Thank you we will check everything you have on your list
Old 07-02-2021, 02:42 PM   #7

No 2 on my 2016 44B is doing the same thing. Winter of 19/20 in Florida - No 3 compressor would not kick on. Local tech replaced the Zone Control Box (Part no 9630-753) which we found on ebay of all places after an exhaustive search and it has worked fine since then. I suspect that either the timer or compressor relay is not making a firm contact or perhaps a burned wire or crimp fitting. I bought a spare April last year when I got home since it was still available on ebay which I plan to swap out in the next week or so. Now I can't find one anywhere on the internet.
CaptVern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 03:45 PM   #8
Dom

are your condenser coils up top dirty? this would cause the compressor to cut out when it gets hot. Always a good idea to get a home up top and wash them out.

Tags
compressor