Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2019, 03:34 PM   #1

Hydra Lift for Trike

I have a 2019 Cornerstone, have been considering a Hydra Lift for my trike & have run into a concern re: chassis warranty as the factory says you can't weld or drill into the frames & the tow capacity becomes 5k. Has anyone put one on & how has it worked out. I am towing a 2019 Grand Cherokee.
Kcsweet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2019, 06:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcsweet1 View Post
I have a 2019 Cornerstone, have been considering a Hydra Lift for my trike & have run into a concern re: chassis warranty as the factory says you can't weld or drill into the frames & the tow capacity becomes 5k. Has anyone put one on & how has it worked out. I am towing a 2019 Grand Cherokee.
I have a standard Hydra Lift with 8k max tow, 1k max load, and 500lb max tongue. When the lift is loaded the tongue wt drops to zero and you have only tow wt. I tow a Jeep Rubicon and have towed it thousands of miles with a Ultra Limited on the lift. Never a problem.
Jimjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:10 PM   #3

Hauling a trike is different than hauling a 2 wheeler. I have a hydra lift and haul a custom Golf Cart. The platform is similar to that of a trike platform. With this and the trike configuration you will need the extension sold by Hydra lift and stabilizer chains. No tongue weight is allowed. I haul my cart all over on the lift and tow a lifted Rubicon that weighs 5200 lbs. No problems at all. I installed the lift myself and welded to the frame. I was at Spartan last year for my 3 year check up and they never commented on my set up.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:29 AM   #4

Thank you

The Curb weight on the Limited is under 5k that issue is out, seems to be a gray area with the Spartan warranty, I appreciate the feedback such a big investment to think of voiding a warranty...
Old 09-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #5

Quote:

I have a Hydralift on my '19 Anthem and I contacted Spartan prior to attaching the Hydralift. Spartan told me that attaching to the frame (welding in this case) does not void the warranty of the chassis. If a defect was identified that was caused by the welding (as deemed by Spartan) then Spartan would not honor that specific defect and not void the entire chassis warranty. Spartan even sent me a guide for welding to the frame (which I have attached), see page 95 specifically. As stated above you tongue weight will be zero when the trike is loaded, but you still have the ability to flat tow.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Motorhome Welding on Frame Guidelines.pdf (174.9 KB, 30 views)
jestew3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestew3 View Post
I have a Hydralift on my '19 Anthem and I contacted Spartan prior to attaching the Hydralift. Spartan told me that attaching to the frame (welding in this case) does not void the warranty of the chassis. If a defect was identified that was caused by the welding (as deemed by Spartan) then Spartan would not honor that specific defect and not void the entire chassis warranty. Spartan even sent me a guide for welding to the frame (which I have attached), see page 95 specifically. As stated above you tongue weight will be zero when the trike is loaded, but you still have the ability to flat tow.
Thank you, I will re ask Spartan to clarify for me, I plan to put it on.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestew3 View Post

Do you really think Entegra follows the guidelines in section 13.2.10 and disconnects everything when they are welding in the X bracing to the frame?
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:33 AM   #8

When I had my motorcycle lift installed, they welded it to the factory hitch, which is bolted to the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180206_175238931.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	535.6 KB
ID:	260068  
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-carpet View Post
Do you really think Entegra follows the guidelines in section 13.2.10 and disconnects everything when they are welding in the X bracing to the frame?

Entegra doesn't weld anything in their factory, I'm pretty sure all of the welding on the chassis is done by Mor-Ryde and I doubt they disconnect all of those ECUs/PCMs/control modules. There are devices that you can connect to the chassis/motor that will minimize the effects of welding. I disconnected all of mine as I did not want to deal with any issues. I took about 45 mins to locate and disconnect them all.
jestew3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:05 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Here is a Anthem I saw years back in the Key's, Ultra lift with a custom deck for his trike. He said it works great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08224.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	260071