RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2020, 04:08 PM   #1

Hydraulic jacks reservoir

looking around the coach.. wasnt sure if this is the reservoir for the hydrolic jacks if so looks like i need some fluid or since it's a closed system no need to add ? I do have that banshee noise as I have read on the forum assuming I need to put some Marvel Mystery Oil or any other recommendation? I have put some WD40 wipe and then some silicone on the rams as I have read here .

Thanks to all !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200710_145728.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	292652  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2020, 04:18 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hydraulic jacks reservoir

Not sure about where you picture was taken, but the hydraulic jack reservoir is just in front of your house batteries behind a plastic cover held on by ~6 screws. Open your access door to the batteries and you should see the cover. Hope this helps.

Grower15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:24 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is that picture with your jacks up or down? If they are up I would say you definitely need to add some ATF fluid per the label. It takes a good bit of fluid to fill the rams at full extension so the squeal you are hearing could be when it's running out of fluid.

If they are down the level may be OK - without the manual I'd shoot for the tank being near full with the jacks up (retracted) fully - that will give you maximum fluid for extension without overflowing when retracted.

I would not add Marvel Mystery Oil - it is basically Stoddard solvent (mineral spirits) and peppermint oil to make it smell good and I'm not sure it would be good for the seals in the rams. It is pretty good stuff but I wouldn't put it in my jacks unless the mfg. says to.
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:26 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grower15 View Post
Not sure about where you picture was taken, but the hydraulic jack reservoir is just in front of your house batteries behind a plastic cover held on by ~6 screws. Open your access door to the batteries and you should see the cover. Hope this helps.
That's definitely the reservoir - you can see the solenoid valves next to it.
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:53 PM   #5

Thanks, yes jacks are down... so you are probably right in regards to fluid level ..

QUOTE=deputydog;5342244]Is that picture with your jacks up or down? If they are up I would say you definitely need to add some ATF fluid per the label. It takes a good bit of fluid to fill the rams at full extension so the squeal you are hearing could be when it's running out of fluid.

If they are down the level may be OK - without the manual I'd shoot for the tank being near full with the jacks up (retracted) fully - that will give you maximum fluid for extension without overflowing when retracted.

I would not add Marvel Mystery Oil - it is basically Stoddard solvent (mineral spirits) and peppermint oil to make it smell good and I'm not sure it would be good for the seals in the rams. It is pretty good stuff but I wouldn't put it in my jacks unless the mfg. says to.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-10-2020, 04:54 PM   #6

Thanks for confirmation..
QUOTE=deputydog;5342249]That's definitely the reservoir - you can see the solenoid valves next to it.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-10-2020, 04:55 PM   #7

Thanks. Yes this pic was next to the house batteries
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grower15 View Post
Old 07-11-2020, 05:12 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
If your jacks are making the squealing noise the proper fix using Marvel Mystery Oil or CAT hydraulic additive is to drain a quart of fluid from the reservoir, a turkey baster works. Add the new fluid and raise the jacks all the way up and let the coach sit for 10 minutes, then down for 10 minute. Repeat 3 or 4 times. That will bleed the air out of the system, don't rush the 10 minute or the motor will overheat and need to be replaced. Entegra rushed mine and Equalizer had to be called to replace the motor.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:15 PM   #9

Thanks ,
I will try that on my next stop. I will probably get some CAT fluid based on my research and reading here on the forum .

Thank you, I will make use of the DW turkey baster .. she wont miss it lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
If your jacks are making the squealing noise the proper fix using Marvel Mystery Oil or CAT hydraulic additive is to drain a quart of fluid from the reservoir, a turkey baster works. Add the new fluid and raise the jacks all the way up and let the coach sit for 10 minutes, then down for 10 minute. Repeat 3 or 4 times. That will bleed the air out of the system, don't rush the 10 minute or the motor will overheat and need to be replaced. Entegra rushed mine and Equalizer had to be called to replace the motor.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:39 AM   #10

Iím three years on the CAT Hydraulic Oil Additive and no noises and smooth operation. The additive is a little pricey, but I wouldnít let that deter you from trying it. Iíve followed the instructions, from the attached document, With good results.

Good Luck.....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0295.pdf (504.4 KB, 3 views)
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:07 PM   #11

Thanks, found a cat dealer near.. will see of they have it in stock $30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
Iím three years on the CAT Hydraulic Oil Additive and no noises and smooth operation. The additive is a little pricey, but I wouldnít let that deter you from trying it. Iíve followed the instructions, from the attached document, With good results.

Good Luck.....
Old 07-13-2020, 06:53 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECVB View Post

Thank you, I will make use of the DW turkey baster .. she wont miss it lol..
Those things are hard to find if it's not Thanksgiving. I needed one recently for another project, couldn't find one at any of the local stores including Walmart and all of the $ stores.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
Old 07-13-2020, 08:20 AM   #13

If you have problems using or finding a turkey baster try this.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tou...01WD/498617798

Iíve used these may times when changing fluids and they work nicely for the cost.
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:30 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanz View Post
If you have problems using or finding a turkey baster try this.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tou...01WD/498617798

Iíve used these may times when changing fluids and they work nicely for the cost.
Those are great! It was perfect for adding antifreeze with the leaking radiator.

2016 Colorado Z71 PU

Tags
hydraulic, jacks