Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2018, 09:22 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Hydraulic leak- Classics owners beware

Hopefully, most classic owners are aware of this issue, but I was not. Maybe this will help some classic owners like me that were unaware of this issue.

When I got back from my last trip, I noticed that I had a pretty good hydraulic leak. After closer inspection, I traced the leak to the inlet on the bottom of the hydraulic reservoir. I did some searching on the forum and found out I was not alone. It appears that Spartan did a poor job of engineering the plumbing on the bottom of reservoir. They attached the filter and related stainless steel fittings to the bottom of the tank with no support. The vibration takes it toll on the fitting that all that plumbing is attached to. Sure enough, mine was cracked almost all the way around this fitting. I also discovered Spartan had issued a TSB for this problem. Their fix is to move all that plumbing down and attach it to the frame where there is no weight hanging off that connection except the hose. They evidently changed it on later models. I contacted Spartan and they will only cover parts and only for units under warranty. The kit for the fix is $305.41 plus shipping. My complaint is that they issue TSBs like this for a known problem. Then they don't tell anyone until after the fact, when their poor engineering or inferior part fails. Nobody is perfect. All I ask is, just step up, tell me there is a problem and then lets get it fixed. If I had known this was a problem, it would have been an easy and cheap fix if you did it when you did a hydraulic filter change. You are draining the fluid to replace both filters anyway. Then the issue is fixed before it ever starts leaking. If not caught early, it could easily fail and leave you stranded on the side of the road with an expensive repair bill.

Anyone who has a classic with the filter mounted to the bottom of the hydraulic reservoir should consider moving it, when they service the filters, before it starts leaking. It will be much cheaper and you can fix it on your schedule. I ordered a couple of stainless steel hose nipples from Ebay for just under $20 and 2 hose clamps. The only other part required is a bracket to mount the filter to the crossmember. You could buy one from Spartan or I just made a bracket myself out of some scrap angle iron. If you want to see how much vibration there is on that piece of plumbing, just go back there and watch it when the washer is spinning. I was shocked how much it vibrated. It is no wonder it failed, I am just surprised it lasted 4+ years.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2018, 01:33 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jherrin99 View Post
Hopefully, most classic owners are aware of this issue, but I was not. Maybe this will help some classic owners like me that were unaware of this issue.

When I got back from my last trip, I noticed that I had a pretty good hydraulic leak. After closer inspection, I traced the leak to the inlet on the bottom of the hydraulic reservoir. I did some searching on the forum and found out I was not alone. It appears that Spartan did a poor job of engineering the plumbing on the bottom of reservoir. They attached the filter and related stainless steel fittings to the bottom of the tank with no support. The vibration takes it toll on the fitting that all that plumbing is attached to. Sure enough, mine was cracked almost all the way around this fitting. I also discovered Spartan had issued a TSB for this problem. Their fix is to move all that plumbing down and attach it to the frame where there is no weight hanging off that connection except the hose. They evidently changed it on later models. I contacted Spartan and they will only cover parts and only for units under warranty. The kit for the fix is $305.41 plus shipping. My complaint is that they issue TSBs like this for a known problem. Then they don't tell anyone until after the fact, when their poor engineering or inferior part fails. Nobody is perfect. All I ask is, just step up, tell me there is a problem and then lets get it fixed. If I had known this was a problem, it would have been an easy and cheap fix if you did it when you did a hydraulic filter change. You are draining the fluid to replace both filters anyway. Then the issue is fixed before it ever starts leaking. If not caught early, it could easily fail and leave you stranded on the side of the road with an expensive repair bill.

Anyone who has a classic with the filter mounted to the bottom of the hydraulic reservoir should consider moving it, when they service the filters, before it starts leaking. It will be much cheaper and you can fix it on your schedule. I ordered a couple of stainless steel hose nipples from Ebay for just under $20 and 2 hose clamps. The only other part required is a bracket to mount the filter to the crossmember. You could buy one from Spartan or I just made a bracket myself out of some scrap angle iron. If you want to see how much vibration there is on that piece of plumbing, just go back there and watch it when the washer is spinning. I was shocked how much it vibrated. It is no wonder it failed, I am just surprised it lasted 4+ years.
James,

Great post, thanks. Is it possible for you to post a picture of the DIY modifications that you made?

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:14 PM   #3

You would think they would help you with the part cost, but I guess not.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:16 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yes please post pics!
Thanks
Oldguy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:58 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Here are some pics. Hopefully this will explain in more detail how I did it. I removed the plumbing from the inlet on the bottom of the reservoir that the filter is connected to. I purchased 2 stainless steel hose nipples from Ebay (1-1/4" 316 stainless steel) along with a couple of clamps. I made a bracket out of scrap angle iron that mounted to the crossmember. There were already holes there in the crossmember to mount to. By lowering the filter, I was able to shorten the large suction hose (1-1/4") by about 10-12". That was enough to connect the reservoir to the filter with the 2 hose nipples and clamps I bought. Since my reservoir was useless, I decided to try and weld the cracked fitting. I don't consider myself a professional welder, but I did not really have anything to loose except my time and maybe some hydraulic fluid if it did not work. Luckily, my welding job looks like it is going to hold. I am not sure how the kit that Spartan has put together to fix the TSB will mount the filter, but this seemed like the logical place to mount the filter to me. By moving the filter straight down, it allowed me to shorten the suction hose and re-use the cut off piece between the filter and reservoir. Of course I had to drain all the hydraulic fluid in the reservoir and hoses. I was over due for service, so I needed to drain it anyway and replace both filters. It took just over 3 gallons of fluid to refill it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181129_111747218_HDR.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	227559   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181129_111807935_HDR.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	337.0 KB
ID:	227560  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181126_164433663.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	227561  
Old 11-30-2018, 09:51 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Looks like a good fix....good job. Like the stainless steel nipples.
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 04:50 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Just had mine replaced for leaking our of the fitting on the bottom. I need to look at doing this mod. There were some real good photos posted in the thread a few months ago - will look for it. (Hydraulic Leak)

Here is the link http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/hydr...ip-407199.html

Good image from Gasman405 on his mod.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:11 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
TSB from Spartan

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=...tt&disp=inline
GoneWithTheWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:11 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneWithTheWind View Post
It might just be me, but that link doesn't work for me.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:31 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
It might just be me, but that link doesn't work for me.
Link does not work for me either.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:09 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
TSB14-260-002A issued on May 21,2015
GoneWithTheWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:58 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneWithTheWind View Post
TSB14-260-002A issued on May 21,2015
If they would have notified me of this issue then, it would have saved me a lot of time and money. I get the feeling that manufacturers don't want to step up and fix their mistakes unless they are forced to. Either by legal action or some really bad publicity. They don't disclose these issues to the owner who might be adversely effected until after the fact. I get the feeling they hope it won't fail until it is out of warranty so they don't have to be responsible. I don't expect perfection, I just ask that you own up to your mistakes and fix them, not hide them.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:27 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
If they would have notified me of this issue then, it would have saved me a lot of time and money. I get the feeling that manufacturers don't want to step up and fix their mistakes unless they are forced to. Either by legal action or some really bad publicity. They don't disclose these issues to the owner who might be adversely effected until after the fact. I get the feeling they hope it won't fail until it is out of warranty so they don't have to be responsible. I don't expect perfection, I just ask that you own up to your mistakes and fix them, not hide them.
This is the first that I have heard about the TSB as well. Could not agree more with all your comments and observations.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:09 PM   #14

Likewise, first I’ve heard of it and have been to two Spartan classes at Charlotte since that bulletin was issued. It wasn’t mentioned or discussed as a potential issue to keep an eye on during both of our ‘paid for-in the pit’ inspection with a certified Spartan technician! So much for the factory classes! Hummm......makes me take an even harder look at what they really offer....
EVsCoach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic, leak