Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2019, 10:17 AM   #1

Hydraulic Service Issues

Per Spartan's recommendations, I am trying to service hydraulics by replacing internal and external filters on my 2013 Anthem with ISL engine. removed spin on and drained reservoir, changed out internal filter, replaced internal filter and spin on. I saw no reason to prefill spin on as it is attached to the bottom of the reservoir, poured hydraulic oil into reservoir and no matter when tight or loose I get leaks at the spin on filter. What am I doing wrong other than attempting this project.
geneb28532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2019, 11:09 AM   #2

Check the rubber seal on the canister and check to see if the old rubber seal is stuck on the underside of the reservoir.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:11 AM   #3

And although this is obvious and I am sure that you checked... make sure that the new filter is an exact replacement for the one that you took off.... I have encountered a couple of times when they handed me the filter that I ordered, but them when I checked it before it put it on, it was not an exact replacement.... lost a lot of time and lot of oil or fluid before I figured it out.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:12 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The other problem with these filters is the gasket itself. It is not wide enough where it will wedge itself inside the groove of the filter receiver head, so what happens when you start screwing the filter on, the gasket gets misaligned and doesn't seat properly inside the grove. It is a real pain sometimes trying to keep it straight.
rlwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #5

For some reason I believe I read somewhere in the forum that there was a different gasket recommended during this filter change out. Ours was changed during a service at a Cummins Coach Care and upon getting it home it leaked a huge mess in the driveway. Cummins management was fantastic in making it right by replacing filter with another new filter and gasket that solved the problem. The driveway still has the leak stain though.
EVsCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:33 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I had the same exact mess changing the spin on filter. The one from Spartan if not put back on perfect will leak, and not a slow leak. I found another brand at the Auto Parts Store - will look for my post on it. I tried 2 Spartan Filters with the same result - no more.

EDIT: See this Link http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/hydr...ak-425805.html
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:58 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I forgot to mention in my last post but after the last mess I made changing the filter, I called Spartan and they told me to try Napa O-ring part# 5758 for filter. Will give this a try when we get home in October.
rlwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:15 AM   #8

Yes I used the Napa filter and did not have any problems.
ronlin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:36 AM   #9

Hydraulic Service Issues

Problem resolved. There are no magic bullets. The seal must be placed in the filter head channel as there is no way to properly attach it to the filter and lastly do not over tighten, hand tighten plus 1/4 turn more. Thanks foray the input!
geneb28532 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic, service