Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2021, 04:12 PM   #1

I-70 closed indefinitely near Glenwood Springs

Just noticed on national news that I-70 in a big part of Colorado (supposedly about 50 miles) has been closed due to mud slides and rock slides due to heavy rains. I-70 supposedly closed indefinitely and East West traffic re-routed to I-80 or more southern route. Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2021, 05:11 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I’m in Breckinridge and it’s rained almost every afternoon around dinner time. The highway thru Glenwood canyon has tons of mud flowing onto mainly the Eastbound lanes and the highway department not only has to clear the mud but also insure the road foundation is stable. I don’t see this getting fixed quick. The detour both North and South around that 60 mile stretch adds about 5 hrs not including the heavy traffic on 2 lane roads.

Fortunately when I leave here I’m going straight north.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:13 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Heading that way. Currently in Indianapolis heading west. Couldn’t find a adequate campground in Denver so made a reservation in Colorado Springs. The good thing is that it will set me up for a southern bypass.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:33 PM   #4

You might have to climb and then descend the mountain back to Denver but still on the east side of the pass, there is a nice KOA near the top of the mountain on I-70. In Colorado Springs, you will find my favorite draft beer (Laughing Lab) at the Brewery (Bristol Brewing) ENJOY !!!

Just FYI, we are at the RV Park in Raton Pass (8,000' ASL) for the next couple of days getting used to the elevation and then will head from Wallsenburg to Pagoa Springs to Durango to Oouray, Telluride, (watch 155 ??) and Montrose, and then to Grand Junction which should be west of the problem. That may be the best East-West path to get to Grand Junction. We really wanted to go east to GlennWood Springs and Aspen, and maybe Breckinridge and hopefully the road will be passable by then.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:46 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
We are in Ft. Collins, CO now, supposed to head for Breckinridge tomorrow, followed by Glenwood Springs and then Ouray. After checking alternate routes we decided it was basically one of those “you can’t get there from here” situations. With the traffic being rerouted, the drive times anywhere are extreme. We cancelled both Tiger Run and Glenwood Springs and rebooked to go down through Pueblo and over to Gunnison to Montrose to Ouray. Hwy. 50 has been closed on weekdays between Gunnison and Montrose but they are leaving open until further notice. Predictions are weeks, not days, before 70 can be opened again. Some areas are under 14’ of mud with no knowledge yet how much damage has been done to roadbed or guard rails. Glenwood Springs was very understanding and refunded the full amount. Tiger Run not so much. We were hoping that, under the circumstances, they would allow a credit to be used next year. No such luck. We knew their cancellation policy when we made the decision but it still smarts.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:50 PM   #6

AP article about it, with a slide show...
https://apnews.com/article/environme...946a09f60c2c1e
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:10 AM   #7

We were trying to come from the other side (UT to Denver) a month ago, or there abouts, and that same stretch was closed for the same reason. That closure lasted about a week. This one may be worse but the point is that CDOT seems to be on top of things as far as getting highways cleared and re opened. I'm sure mud and rock are just a little heavier then snow but the equipment needed is readily available so my guess is it will be sooner rather then later.
jeff.herren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 05:07 PM   #8

Has anyone driven the Grand Mesa Scenic Byway (Route 65) in Colorado before pulling a Travel Trailer? Leaving Glenwood Springs on Friday and was thinking of heading South on that stretch of road.
cjsolis1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:59 AM   #9

We drove it last year in our Jeep. We were staying in Delta. It’s a good road, you should have no problem.
Ghostdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff.herren View Post
We were trying to come from the other side (UT to Denver) a month ago, or there abouts, and that same stretch was closed for the same reason. That closure lasted about a week. This one may be worse but the point is that CDOT seems to be on top of things as far as getting highways cleared and re opened. I'm sure mud and rock are just a little heavier then snow but the equipment needed is readily available so my guess is it will be sooner rather then later.
The issue is that they expect to find damage that may not be quickly repaired :( I hope they don’t.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 04:00 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Just to add to the Colorado Mudslide fun, CO125 from Grandby to Walden closed yesterday for mudslides. Still closed today. Beware if planning trips around Rocky Mountain National Park.

I’m in Grandby for a few days. Planning on alternate routing.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote