Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2022, 04:02 PM   #1

I pulled air filter

Found it's a k n reuse. Question is when I had one on old cars I used a megre amount of oil mist. Is that true on the 450 Cummins diesel 2015 anthem. Thanks for any help
Poppedclams is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2022, 04:21 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Everything online says it's washable but does not get oiled. Get the part number and look it up to be positive.
Later...
Ray
RayandWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 04:26 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your turbo won't like it !!!!!!!!
Pitch it and use a paper filter !!!!!!

JMHO as a diesel driver.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 05:38 PM   #4

K&N discontinued the re-oil type filter for diesels a long time ago. Probably because it didn't work very good.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 02:22 AM   #5

They do not recommend oiling on big diesel engines.
Old 07-27-2022, 03:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
Your turbo won't like it !!!!!!!!
Pitch it and use a paper filter !!!!!!

JMHO as a diesel driver.

Mike in Colorado
This !
Old 07-27-2022, 03:12 AM   #7

Why not use the proper air filter made for the engine/vehicle ?
Old 07-27-2022, 07:56 PM   #8

With paper air filters both Spartan and Cummins recommend replacing it once a year. All paper air filter when they get wet it causes the glue that holds the paper together to come a part and then it can get in the turbo. On our Newmar Essex for over 10 years and now on our 18 London Aire have used the K&N HD Truck filter which you purchase once and then can be cleaned, sealed and used for another year.
With close to 200K miles of driving between the 2 coaches and a trip to Alaska, all with K&N air filter I would say follow K&N cleaning procedure and use it.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:27 PM   #9

The new filters now come with a metal grate to hold the paper , they did away with the glue version
ECVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 01:33 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECVB View Post
The new filters now come with a metal grate to hold the paper , they did away with the glue version
The seam is still glued, but yes, the metal mesh on both sides of the paper media should prevent catastrophes!
Old 08-03-2022, 04:34 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I’ve been thinking about going to a K&N filter just because the change interval on the paper one is crap. Even if it’s not dirty you have to change it. I just haven’t been able to find one and put a new paper one in on Monday.

I switched to a K&N on a Dodge 3500 with a Cummins and the improved performance was noticeable, along with the slight improvement in fuel economy it was a good decision for me at the time.
Berryfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:01 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berryfarmer View Post
I’ve been thinking about going to a K&N filter just because the change interval on the paper one is crap. Even if it’s not dirty you have to change it. I just haven’t been able to find one and put a new paper one in on Monday.
I thought about switching from paper to a K&N a couple of years ago. My motivation was that replacing the paper air cleaner on my Spartan K2 chassis was not very easy. My hope was that, with a K&N, I'd be able to simply remove the end of the cannister that was easily accesible and pull and clean the filter element. I was hopeful that I'd be able to remove and clean the element without breaking the cannister attachments for the air intake and exit to the engine. That didn't turn out to be the case. The K&N would require completely removing the cannister to access the filter elment.

So, no labor saving. In fact, it required more effort because I'd have to clean the element.

If you look at the warranty for the heavy duty K&N elements, you'll see it's 36 month/300,000 miles. 3 years and you're out of warranty.

When I was considering the change, the K&N was about 3X the cost of the paper air cleaners. If you choose to replace the K&N element after 3 years, the cost is about a wash with the paper air cleaner.

I had Spartan do my first annual chassis service at their Charlotte facility. I had a conversation with the service tech (Nick) about the K&N air cleaner. He wouldn't recommend one way, or the other. About all he would say was something to the effect, "Yeah, I've seen some people do use the K&N."

Ultimately, I've been replacing my paper air cleaner once a year (typically about 15K miles/year use).

Take care,
Stu

Tags
air, air filter, led