Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2014, 11:12 PM   #15

ditto
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2014, 05:33 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
I agree with Richard completely, EXCEPT, I see no reason to have the Burner switch on in hot weather unless you need hot water such as taking a shower. If you are not hooked up to shore power, the burner will run occasionally even in hot weather, to keep the boiler fluid hot. When I am parked and it is warm out, I see no reason for this so in that situation, I turn the Burner off until I need heat or hot water.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I agree with Richard completely, EXCEPT, I see no reason to have the Burner switch on in hot weather unless you need hot water such as taking a shower. If you are not hooked up to shore power, the burner will run occasionally even in hot weather, to keep the boiler fluid hot. When I am parked and it is warm out, I see no reason for this so in that situation, I turn the Burner off until I need heat or hot water.
Maybe it's good for the burner to occasionally "excercise". Keeps everything running smoothly for when you really need it.

:-)
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:07 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post

Maybe it's good for the burner to occasionally "excercise". Keeps everything running smoothly for when you really need it.

:-)

That's correct! Just like a very wise say'n goes, "Use it or Lose it".

I exercise the diesel burner monthly for a few days ESPECIALLY during the summer months.

The same philosophy is applied to your generator.

Quote:

I still don't understand your logic for switching the diesel burner off during the hot summer months.

Again, if the Electric Assist is able to keep up with the water temperature and the demand is NOT exceeded, then the diesel burner will not fire up regardless of whether you have the diesel burner switch on or off.

However, as noted above, it is necessary to exercise the diesel burner a few days each month to keep the fuel fresh, to clear the diesel nozzle and to keep everything working as needed. The only way for that to happen is to turn OFF the Electric Assist for a few days forcing the diesel burner to maintain the temperature and demand.

I always make sure to do that each month. When I was a new Aqua-Hot owner I went through a steep learning curve. Initially, I tried to use the Electric Assist for my needs all the time since the electric was part of my monthly rent and not use the diesel burner at all to save on fuel costs. Well, it cost me more in Aqua-Hot service to rebuild the parts that weren't being used so again, there is another wise say'n that goes, "Pay me now or Pay me later".

Your choice, your RV, your money.

I am simply sharing with people my experiences and what I have learned from living full-time in my coach for the past 10 years.

Safe travels,

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:24 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Richard is correct and has helped many on the forum understand the simple solution to use and proper heating of the coach. Having enlisted advice from many highly trained RIVA techs that are periodically trained via Agua Hot continual education, they recommend leaving both elec. and diesel on 24/7. Only turn the diesel off in the warm times. I live in FL and can tell you, "baby it's cold outside". The system is purring along nicely!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:06 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Richard, I appreciate your explanation of the AH. Not having owned an AH before I find it very interesting. What you are saying about "use it or loose it", I have to agree. I helped a friend with a boat he bought that the diesel generator had not been started in five years. The injectors were a mess. A few hour of run time over the five years would have saved him a lot of time and money. I would not have thought about running the diesel on the AH until reading your post. Thanks
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:14 AM   #21

Quote:
My last four mh's have had aqua hot and I never turn on the diesel burner unless I need the extra hot water. I have never had an aqua hot problem and never had one serviced. Maybe just luck but I doubt it. The burner gets enough use in the times I need the extra hot water. IMHO Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:31 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
I think I'll follow Richards recommendations in regards to keeping the burner turned on. It makes most sense to me. Just like the generator having to be run on a regular basis. I know people who went years not exercising their generator, thinking they were "saving" it. Well, when they did try to use it, it was a "no go" and they are surprised that it is frozen up on them. The aqua hot burner is the same way if it's not turned on regularly. Even in hot weather I like my hot showers, and I found early on you don't get that with the electric only.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
That's correct! Just like a very wise say'n goes, "Use it or Lose it".

I exercise the diesel burner monthly for a few days ESPECIALLY during the summer months.

The same philosophy is applied to your generator.

I still don't understand your logic for switching the diesel burner off during the hot summer months.

Again, if the Electric Assist is able to keep up with the water temperature and the demand is NOT exceeded, then the diesel burner will not fire up regardless of whether you have the diesel burner switch on or off.

However, as noted above, it is necessary to exercise the diesel burner a few days each month to keep the fuel fresh, to clear the diesel nozzle and to keep everything working as needed. The only way for that to happen is to turn OFF the Electric Assist for a few days forcing the diesel burner to maintain the temperature and demand.

I always make sure to do that each month. When I was a new Aqua-Hot owner I went through a steep learning curve. Initially, I tried to use the Electric Assist for my needs all the time since the electric was part of my monthly rent and not use the diesel burner at all to save on fuel costs. Well, it cost me more in Aqua-Hot service to rebuild the parts that weren't being used so again, there is another wise say'n that goes, "Pay me now or Pay me later".

Your choice, your RV, your money.

I am simply sharing with people my experiences and what I have learned from living full-time in my coach for the past 10 years.

Safe travels,

Dr4Film ----- Richard
My logic is as follows:

Of course I use the burner every day or two .... every time I take a shower. That takes care of "Use it or lose it". I think the difference between you and me Richard, is that I do a fair amount of boondocking, where the electric switch is doing nothing since I'm not plugged into electric. Since there is no electric, the burner comes on every couple of hours to keep the boiler fluid hot, even though I am not using it unless I am showering. This is in hot weather, and there is no need for heat, so I turn off the boiler switch to keep from wasting fuel, and
so I don't hear the burner kick on at night or spew unnecessary exhaust. I turn it on only when I want to shower.

I gather from your comments that you are plugged in all the time, and your case would therefore be different. The electric element will keep your fluid hot and in summer the burner will not kick on unless you use hot water. Your method would be appropriate when plugged in.

Different settings for different uses.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:04 AM   #24

The Aqua hot is a little different than the generator. It gets exercised plenty without having it on 24 hrs a day. However, like one poster said it's your money spend it like you want. Everyone has an opinion, that's what makes the world go round. Noel
Old 01-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
During travel, I am sure the AH burner is used often. My concern, would be during the 7 months I am in storage with non use. I exersise my generator probably every 2 months and I now know to fire off the AH diesel burner as well.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:58 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Here is some additional information regarding AH units.

There are many models with lots of differences between the way they are built and how they operate.

I would strongly suggest that you visit the Aqua-Hot web site and download you specific manuals, Owner's, Service, and Part's. Then browse through them to become more familiar with what you are dealing with.

Aqua-Hot - Manuals

Here's one example.

My AH unit is an older one, Model 431/12, which was installed in Jan 2006. It replaced the original one installed at the factory, Model 100-02S. Those units have a large capacity boiler coolant plus it uses four different thermostats, two for the Electric AC Assist and two for the Diesel DC Burner to control the temperature and operation of the Aqua-Hot unit.

The Electric Assist uses one Control and one High Limit Thermostat. The Diesel DC Burner uses its own Control and high Limit Thermostats. The control thermostat for the 120 VAC is a 198F thermostat that operates in the range of 185F - 210F. The diesel DC Control thermostat is a 190F thermostat that operates in the range of 190F - 210F. Both have a High Limit thermostat that will cut off power at the 230F temperature to eliminate a runaway system.

Now, some of the newer AH units like the popular Model 450D uses a much smaller capacity boiler tank, it is cheaper and has a smaller footprint. That unit has only one Control Thermostat which is 185F and two High Limit Thermostats, one for the Electric Assist and one for the Diesel DC Burner. Those High Limit Thermostats are set at 215F to prevent a runaway system. In addition to those differences, due to the smaller tank capacity, it utilizes a Low Temp Cut-Off valve to shut down any of the AH fluid going to all of the heating zones when the demand for fresh hot water exceeds the supply. These units just cannot keep up with both the HOT water and the HOT heat needed for the different heating zones throughout the coach. And that's with the diesel burner running flat out non-stop.

So you can now see that it is very important to know exactly what model your specific AH unit is as there can be major differences between them.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:37 PM   #27

For the 45d the following is out of the manual:
Additionally, it is recommended that the diesel-burner be fired and allowed to run monthly to keep it in good working order.

Note: the circulation pumps and heat exchangers will not operate until the boiler tank reaches a mininum of 150 deg. F. They will shutdown if boiler temp falls below 150 deg. F.
Noel
Old 01-31-2014, 07:22 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks to all. I learn a great deal every time a constructive thread is posted. Thought I was well versed on my AH system but!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote