Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2013, 03:24 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Doing the ladder trick is not always that easy. I did it on my last coach for several years. Snap sun screens on the door, windshield and drivers side window. In wind or uneven ground it was not fun. Here is the best way I can show you what we have now. Only the windshield is motorized.
Windshield/Cockpit American Duo

The final choice is yours. Having done it both ways, simple is better for me.

Rick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Doing the ladder trick is not always that easy. I did it on my last coach for several years. Snap sun screens on the door, windshield and drivers side window. In wind or uneven ground it was not fun. Here is the best way I can show you what we have now. Only the windshield is motorized.
Windshield/Cockpit American Duo

The final choice is yours. Having done it both ways, simple is better for me.

Rick
Rick,

With Entegras, we all have MCD electric windshield shades, both sun and night shades. The issue is that even with these high cost shades, the front interior still heats significantly because the heat is generated, and thus enters the coach between the windshield and the roll downs. In addition, you can see through these day shades at night. I don't think any are questioning your, and our approach...just looking for something that might be more efficient. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #31

My wife and I were just talking about this topic this morning.
We are very happy that our new MH will have the automatic front shades compared to the curtains we now have. And figure on those not so nice days that we will be just fine with the stock sun shade to provide that privacy we like during the day. But we also know how well stopping the sun from coming in BEFORE it heats up the windshield that we will certainly buy the Magna Shade again. It works for us,, and that's just us. I don't want to get the ladder out for that reason.
But we will probably take care of wheel covers before the windshield because of the stock windshield sun shade and we feel it's important to take care of our tires the best we can.
There is no wrong way to do the windshield,, just whats best for each person.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
I see your point, Dave. We have not been in TX summer heat yet with the MCD system. I can't speak of seeing through the solar shade at night because we use our night shade in populated areas. So far, with temps in the 80's, we have not found the cockpit area to be of concern. We did have a problem in the last coach with the windshield sunscreen. It got as hot as a sona. My wife came up with the idea of putting heavy curtains up suspended from a pole resting on top of the slides behind the cockpit. Worked wonders and easy to store when we closed up.

Different coaches. Different experiences. Each of us has our preferences and that is a good thing.

Blessings and happy, joyful, trails.

Rick
Old 10-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You have 3 choices. Interior shades, exterior shades or a combination of both. We live in FLorida. even with both Airs running the MH would heat up with just interior shade or curtain. In the basement we had a set of exterior sun screens. WOW what a difference, more than 20 degrees cooler. We also have a set of those foil sunshade sold by most camping stores. I put the foil outside under the sun screen. WOW! almost 40 degrees difference. Many people make there own exterior sun screen. You can buy fabric, add snaps or magnets and it is a lot cheaper than buying units completely made. safe travels... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
That is fantastic and a great idea. We have 3 on the roof. If they can't carry the hot weather, when and if we find ourselves in it, I will definitely consider this system. Thanks for sharing this great info.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
DW and I made our own exterior shade screens that are held in place with magnets. We were sent a quote from Magna Shade of over $800. for just the windshield, driver and passenger windows.
We were able to purchase the materials to do those and three other windows for less than $300.
We really like the magnet set up, no holes, no ladder, no snaps. I use an old Q- stick to push them in place.
I only wish we had taken pictures as we were doing the project.

Sorry...old thread.
I just got quoted over $500 for a magna-shade and also found the same fabric they use here for about $35 - enough to do my windshield:
TextileneŽ 90 :: Solar Screen & Roller Shade Fabric :: Arizona Sun Supply

I'm pretty good at industrial sewing so I can add edge binding and magnet pockets.

I was wondering where self-adhesive magnets might be found.

Yeah, my brother-in-law is a entegra owner so he didn't mind paying over a grand for all his front windows. If I can do it for under $100 I'll be delighted.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:01 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Sorry...old thread. I just got quoted over $500 for a magna-shade and also found the same fabric they use here for about $35 - enough to do my windshield: TextileneŽ 90 :: Solar Screen & Roller Shade Fabric :: Arizona Sun Supply I'm pretty good at industrial sewing so I can add edge binding and magnet pockets. I was wondering where self-adhesive magnets might be found. Yeah, my brother-in-law is a entegra owner so he didn't mind paying over a grand for all his front windows. If I can do it for under $100 I'll be delighted.
If you search Amazon of EBay you will find magnets. You need to include the words "rare earth magnets" in your search To get ones strong enough for this. They are pricey too, but trust me, you need the strongest you can find unless you plan on using MANY magnets around the perimeter of each screen. My friend did this and it worked great, but they did have to remove the first set of RE magnets and install even stronger ones. Good luck!
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
I'll be interested in hearing what your final cost is, including your time in constructing and sewing. Most are not going to have a sewing machine that will handle this very heavy fabric.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:32 PM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
I'll be interested in hearing what your final cost is, including your time in constructing and sewing. Most are not going to have a sewing machine that will handle this very heavy fabric.
I have made slide toppers, tarps, gear bags, sleeping bags, uphostery, motorcycle seat covers, added smiley-zippers to clear vinyl for a boat convertible top....among other things.

Wifey's sewing maching is a Swiss Bernina - will sew thru pretty much anything.

My time is free to me. For everyone else it's $95 per hour.

If the fabric is $32, the magnets are gonna have to be pure gold to get even close to the $500 magna-shade wants for screen shades. Just sayin'.

If I can build a boat or restore a vintage car then certainly I can make up some sun shades for the RV.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
U.S. PATENT #8387676. Magne - Shade.
Plozano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plozano View Post
U.S. PATENT #8387676. Magne - Shade.

Are you really trying to say that because magna-shade has a patent on their product that I cannot make a windshield screen for my motorhome?

Really?
Old 04-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
You can do whatever you want to. That's exactly what the product knock-off / pirates in China / Malasia / Iran say. Intellectual property rights, trademarks, patents? Who cares? The thing about cheap knock-offs........on the surface it looks the same, however upon closer examination they are usually cheap knock-offs.

If it were your invention and you paid the $50,000+ for the patent would you feel different? Since you quoted a labor rate, is sounds as if you are intending to custom manufacture.

Use whichever shade will work best for you. Sounds like you are planning using a Magna-Shady
Plozano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #42
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mean while it would be nice to get back on topic.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote