Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #1

Ideas on a front windshield sunshade

I think I want to put some kind of front sunshade on the coach for this winters trip south. Any ideas as to which one, and are they worth it. I've seen all the adds, but don't know which one to go with.
whitebear47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We have the MCD night and solar shade set on our coach and like them. They are 12V powered and have a feature that is associated with the ignition that prevents them from blocking your view when driving and letting them down. I know they are pricey but worth it to me. Mine came with my coach. Would put them in now that I know how good they are.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Entegras have day and night MCDs in front, as delivered, and as OP is posting this on the Entegra thread, I am assuming he is referring to external, as the internal shades still allow for heat build up in the front of the coach.

I'm interested in the responses, as it is expensive, and I don't like snaps.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I have the Prompt Sunscreens and will be keeping mine for the new MH. They go on in just a minute with suctions cups, no snaps, clips or ladder needed to install. I found I use them a lot more even on quick stops as they are so easy to install. They sure help with keeping the radiant heat from the windshied out of the MH. Eight years old and still look new.
http://www.rvsunscreen.com/htsunscreens.php
Thankfully the Travel Supreme and Entegra are the same size windows, mine will still work.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Home Depot sells lengths of shade cloth, but I think it's thin, would like something with more weight.
calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Very good product here. Installs outside so it prevents the heat from building up in the windshield. Inside shades are not as effective as outside shades.

Easy to put up and take down.

Home
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Entegras have day and night MCDs in front, as delivered, and as OP is posting this on the Entegra thread, I am assuming he is referring to external, as the internal shades still allow for heat build up in the front of the coach.

I'm interested in the responses, as it is expensive, and I don't like snaps.
DW and I made our own exterior shade screens that are held in place with magnets. We were sent a quote from Magna Shade of over $800. for just the windshield, driver and passenger windows.
We were able to purchase the materials to do those and three other windows for less than $300.
We really like the magnet set up, no holes, no ladder, no snaps. I use an old Q- stick to push them in place.
I only wish we had taken pictures as we were doing the project.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depending on where you're going for the winter you may find a local vendor in your area that can come right to your site and make them. We had ours made in FL right in our park. Just a thought.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #9

We have a Magna Shade on our Tiffin and will certainly do the same on our Entegra when it is delivered.
We did a similar thing for tire covers and might do the same on the Entegra as well. I should say same fabric but they snap on and I'm not a big fan of snaps. At least on the wheels they are easy to get to. But for the windshield the Magna Shade is a piece of cake to put up and down.
We do need to sell ours from the Tiffin if you happen to hear of anyone,,, just sayin LOL!!! It won't fit the Entegra.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #10

ideas on a front windshield sunshade

Thanks a lot folks for your information.

Mike and Rhonda
2013 Entegra Anthem 44 DLQ
whitebear47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDrider View Post
We have a Magna Shade on our Tiffin and will certainly do the same on our Entegra when it is delivered.
We did a similar thing for tire covers and might do the same on the Entegra as well. I should say same fabric but they snap on and I'm not a big fan of snaps. At least on the wheels they are easy to get to. But for the windshield the Magna Shade is a piece of cake to put up and down.
We do need to sell ours from the Tiffin if you happen to hear of anyone,,, just sayin LOL!!! It won't fit the Entegra.
I looked at the pictures on the Magna site and they look interesting but, if I read correctly, you have a series of magnets mounted inside for the shades. How do those look? Do you happen to have any pictures?
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgoldie View Post
I looked at the pictures on the Magna site and they look interesting but, if I read correctly, you have a series of magnets mounted inside for the shades. How do those look? Do you happen to have any pictures?
I don't have any pictures from the inside. And I guess every coach has different stuff around the inside windshield. I know on our Tiffin you don't see the magnets if just looking out the from back in the living area. And while driving they certainly are never in view. Not that you can't look for them and see them but they are tucked behind the overhead and blinds in the upper area and along the side they are behind or right by the frame on either side of the windshield. None are along the bottom.
We are getting ready to travel to a new area today so if I think of it while setting up I will get a couple pictures.
Now that a couple weeks have passed since being in the Entegra I can't remember just what it is like by the front window supports on either side.
We didn't do the Magna Shades on the side windows. We were more concerned about the windshield where most of the heat would be generated.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:17 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
We had the external sun screen on our last coach. We found that the cabin area got much warmer then as compared to now with the MCD set. Our coach has them throughout but only the windshield is powered. The solar shade is very effective and if the heat is very intense the night shade blocks even more heat.

In the last coach my DW bought a set of curtains to block off the drivers area from the heat of TX. That worked fine. A thick rod was placed on top of the left and right slide trim, bridging the room, and the curtains hung from it. We just packed it to travel and popped it back up when the slides were deployed. Very effective.

This new to us coach has no window awnings or front windshield and side curtain screens as our '05 Vectra did. The MCD system keeps us comfortable much more so than the awnings, shades and screens did in the Vectra. I know improved insulation has something to do with all of this, true. But in the drivers area the MCD system is much more efficient. Other brands that have the same concept probably are just as effective. I can only address what we have and had.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:21 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I have the Prompt Sunscreens and will be keeping mine for the new MH. They go on in just a minute with suctions cups, no snaps, clips or ladder needed to install. I found I use them a lot more even on quick stops as they are so easy to install. They sure help with keeping the radiant heat from the windshied out of the MH. Eight years old and still look new. http://www.rvsunscreen.com/htsunscreens.php Thankfully the Travel Supreme and Entegra are the same size windows, mine will still work.
I also purchased and use PromptRv, started with one coach and was able to modify them (replace straps with suction cups) for our current coach. Living in Texas, heat is an obvious issue. Having an OUTSIDE sunscreen is a serious advantage. Don't be fooled into thinking that the inside shades do the same thing. Without our outside sunscreen we would not be able to camp in the hotter months of Texas, but we were able to be comfortable all summer long (weekends) with it.

Also a necessity--a quiet tower fan to move the air around. AC thermostats are more effective if there is air current.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote