Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2017, 09:20 AM   #43

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVUS101 View Post
10 hours 300 dollars later and I feel good about the Job.
Oh ya 200mg of ibprophen daily!!!
Thanks Chuck
You're welcome Jim. The nice part, the job is lifetime and will probably never need to be touched again. I bought less material and was into the job for less than $200. Two days of 5 hours. I think that was about Doctor wages or at least attorneys

A tip when doing the vents, do the 4 sides, then take a 2"x2" piece of tape and cut it from corner to corner. The pieces will fit the tape squares on the inside next to the vent pipe perfect. Enlarge photo to see cut squares.
I also let my vents go to the following year. I was amazed how much the sealant deteriorated in that period of time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-11 12.25.27.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	186160  
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2017, 11:44 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
You're welcome Jim. The nice part, the job is lifetime and will probably never need to be touched again. I bought less material and was into the job for less than $200. Two days of 5 hours. I think that was about Doctor wages or at least attorneys

A tip when doing the vents, do the 4 sides, then take a 2"x2" piece of tape and cut it from corner to corner. The pieces will fit the tape squares on the inside next to the vent pipe perfect. Enlarge photo to see cut squares.
I also let my vents go to the following year. I was amazed how much the sealant deteriorated in that period of time.
Good idea on the vent pipes. Will use this Technique on the Sirus radio antenna also. Thanks again
LVUS101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #45

We bought our Anthem new in April of 2015. Roof looked great.
2.5 years later lots of little cracks trying to get bigger. I would definitely inspect the roof every year. Here are some of my cracks before applying the tape.
First picture is under the Max air vent rear bathroom. Both vents had dirt build up. Found a large Chestnut under one of the vents from Gettysburg visit.
Notice the large cracks in just a couple years.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20171114_114702.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	186202   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171030_163757.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	186203  

Name:	20171030_164047.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	277.7 KB
ID:	186205  
Old 12-19-2017, 09:46 PM   #46

Our selling dealership said to check it every 3-4 years and during our 2 year PDI visit at Entegra it seemed to be reinforced, 3-4 years. My brother in law who owned a Monaco advised to inspect annually or twice a year which we do when the roof gets it’s twice a year (if not more) cleaning. I also do the same to all the batteries.
EVsCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:57 AM   #47

Entegra Owners Club
With the number of roof leaks I have personally heard of on Classics, if your roof has made it this long with no maintenance feel very fortunate.

Don't believe dealers, they want to sell an RV as a carefree lifestyle, not an annual maintenance chore. I wonder how many dealers offered a ladder to inspect the roofs.

My roof seam at 8 months. Notice the sealant is still new and shiny. This split is right on the fiberglass seam, it would have likely leaked in the first rain. This was one of several. Thanks for sharing yours Jim.

A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:06 AM   #48

Thanks Chuck and Jim.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:47 PM   #49

My classic has been re-caulked several times, in a lot of places on the roof. On my latest inspection, I could see that areas that I could see were sunburned, cracked and needed to be repaired. I used my last calking and still had several areas that needed work, so I ordered Eternabond tape and am about 3/4 done on the roof. I removed the awning boxes and was able to clean, acetone and place the tape with less trouble than trying to work under them. The drivers side boxes were easy to r&r with two men, but the passenger side is very heavy and I needed a few guys to help me with them.
I am disappointed that Entegra would use such a caulking material causing us to need to do all this work after just a few years.
For anyone that is going to undertake this themselves, I recommend a VERY good pair of scissors. I tried a cheaper pair and had a lot of problems with them (need to clean them with acetone a lot). Ordered a $30. pair of really good scissors and it's a breeze to cut the tape, no cleaning needed.
I'm also scrubbing the roof absolutely clean and will put a coat of Mop & Glow on it when I get done.
gizmo123316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:57 PM   #50

I recently posted on this thread and wondered why it didn't move to the top.
gizmo123316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:25 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo123316 View Post
My classic has been re-caulked several times, in a lot of places on the roof. On my latest inspection, I could see that areas that I could see were sunburned, cracked and needed to be repaired. I used my last calking and still had several areas that needed work, so I ordered Eternabond tape and am about 3/4 done on the roof. I removed the awning boxes and was able to clean, acetone and place the tape with less trouble than trying to work under them. The drivers side boxes were easy to r&r with two men, but the passenger side is very heavy and I needed a few guys to help me with them.
I am disappointed that Entegra would use such a caulking material causing us to need to do all this work after just a few years.
For anyone that is going to undertake this themselves, I recommend a VERY good pair of scissors. I tried a cheaper pair and had a lot of problems with them (need to clean them with acetone a lot). Ordered a $30. pair of really good scissors and it's a breeze to cut the tape, no cleaning needed.
I'm also scrubbing the roof absolutely clean and will put a coat of Mop & Glow on it when I get done.
Gizmo, I thought about removing the awning boxes but my Son and I were able to work under the awning after we took off the sweeps. Sweeps needed a good cleaning anyway. Thanks for the info