Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2021, 04:27 PM   #1

Important - Door Latches

I'm sure this has been discussed, but...

Every 1-3 months I recommend checking all of your door latches (basement doors). At least on my 2018 Aspire, they have a horrible habit of coming undone. There is one bolt that holds the latch in place. On the Driver side it's on the bottom. If it works loose, enough to fall out, it's difficult to reacquire the screw and put it back together. If you catch it early it's easy to tighten it. Mine are always getting loose, despite the lock washers (star type).

To determine if they're loose... You can open the door and just try to jiggle the latch. If it jiggles, it's loose. To fix it you'll need a 7/16 wrench and the tool for those screws. It's square and just under about an eight of an inch. A phillips will work in a pinch. Take off the four screws on the black plastic cover and remove the cover. On the rectangular latch cover there are two screws. Loosen the top one, just a little. Remove the bottom one and rotate the latch up. Now you can easily get to the bolt holding the latch. Tighten it and put it all back together.

For whatever reason my driver side has this problem. My door side does not. I'm guessing it's because the driver side are on the bottom while the door side are on the top.

Happy RVing.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2021, 11:07 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
There was a post about this last year. I tested all of mine and they were tight, this at about 30,000 miles. At the same time I had a couple of the handles that DW couldn't open they were so tight, so I sprayed them with the same lubricant I use on all the steps pivot points. I believe it is WD40 dry lube. This year I will take off the nuts and use some Loctite to be sure they don't loosen up.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:54 PM   #3

Great post, but have one question. Did you try using blue Loctite on the bolt, to keep it from coming loose in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4Fun20 View Post
I'm sure this has been discussed, but...

Every 1-3 months I recommend checking all of your door latches (basement doors). At least on my 2018 Aspire, they have a horrible habit of coming undone. There is one bolt that holds the latch in place. On the Driver side it's on the bottom. If it works loose, enough to fall out, it's difficult to reacquire the screw and put it back together. If you catch it early it's easy to tighten it. Mine are always getting loose, despite the lock washers (star type).

To determine if they're loose... You can open the door and just try to jiggle the latch. If it jiggles, it's loose. To fix it you'll need a 7/16 wrench and the tool for those screws. It's square and just under about an eight of an inch. A phillips will work in a pinch. Take off the four screws on the black plastic cover and remove the cover. On the rectangular latch cover there are two screws. Loosen the top one, just a little. Remove the bottom one and rotate the latch up. Now you can easily get to the bolt holding the latch. Tighten it and put it all back together.

For whatever reason my driver side has this problem. My door side does not. I'm guessing it's because the driver side are on the bottom while the door side are on the top.

Happy RVing.
billb3672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:01 PM   #4

I discovered this problem last spring when one of my door would not open.
Once I got it open, I found the nut had vibrated off and jammed the mechanism.

I used blue locktite and put it back together, then went around took the cover off all of them. Nearly all were loose, failures waiting to happen. All got blue locktite.

2017 Entegra Aspire, 2008 Monaco Knight, 2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 01:08 PM   #5

Thank you.

Blue Loctite it is.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:13 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Took delivery of my Reatta XL 40Q2 on Feb 25th. Got home and found at least one cargo bay door unlatched. At first was PO'ed that the dealership would release a new MH w/o ensuring all the latches were closed and locked. The blamed myself as the operator for not running a check myself. Left the 27th for a campground less than 25 miles away. Got there and one of the cargo bay doors was unlatched. Scratched my head thinking for sure I had checked all doors before leaving the house. Same thing happened on the way home. Left again on March 22nd. Closed, locked, and double checked all cargo bay doors and had DD perform a second check before leaving. All were secured. Got up to Savannah and sure enough one of them (the wet bay) was unlatched and riding free. Added the problem to my punch list.

Left Savannah 8-days latter and didn't get a mile down the road before a driver from the opposite direction flagged us down to let us know one of our cargo doors was flapping in the breeze. Pulled off the road and found them all to be secured. Got back on the road was pulling into our neighborhood when one of the neighbors flagged us down and told us one of our cargo doors was open. Yup, the wet bay again.

Yesterday the 1st took the rig into dealer for a scheduled service call. In route the damn thing popped open twice. I was driving behind the rig and saw our fresh water house fly out of the bay as DW took a curved exit. Before she could stop the rig drove over the hose yanking it off the spigot. Hose was lost and spigot damaged. Secured the door again and the damned thing flew open once more after we had exited the Interstate for the dealership.

Got to the dealership and pointed out the entry on the punch list and informed the Tech doing the check in of the recurring problem. The guy treated me like a child, instructing me about the type of latch it is and how to properly close and lock it. Told him that after almost 20-years on the road with RVs and longer than that around mechanized artillery that I was pretty familiar with how to close and secure vehicle cargo bays. He kept tugging on the door telling me there probably wasn't much they would be able to do about it. Again talking down to me. I shut the door and locked it in front of him and asked if my my technique met with his approval. He gave me a passing grade and I told him again it was something that required fixing.

It is refreshing to learn I am not the only one who has experienced this problem with Entegra MHs!
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:30 AM   #7

Mine did the same thing. After the third one I took them all apart and used loctite on them. Have not had a problem since. On mine, if the wet bay one went out it could be a real problem because it would be real hard to get to. The rest can be opened with a screwdriver from the other bay frame. The one where the DEF is also difficult but can be done. Suggest that if you have these type of latches that you should loctite them before you have some real problems.
ronlin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:12 AM   #8

Always a good thing to check. Not long after I took possession of my Cornerstone, I was in Pennsylvania and traveling I-80. I needed diesel and pulled off at an exit to fuel. The exit exited onto a city street and I had to make a left turn onto the street at an intersection. After making the turn, I just happened to look back and the rearmost passenger side door had come wide open (its the "longest of the doors" and was sticking perpendicular to the coach (wide open) (the DEF tank and WABCO air dryer compartment) and I was just a few feet from a telephone pole on the curb that would have smacked the door right about midway to knock it closed again. I just happened to look back at the passenger side mirror and saw that it was going to hit the pole and spiked the brakes. Got the door closed. That was a couple thousand dollar door and paint job just waiting to happen. Always a good idea to make sure that your locks are solid, but not too tight.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:48 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Guys will update on this.
Old 04-03-2021, 10:40 AM   #10

Memories are a little less clear at a couple of years distance. Now I remember as I was getting ready to turn left after the off ramp, a teenage girl was waving madly out her window of the car beside me at my passenger side of the coach. I was in traffic... didn't see anything, and made my left turn, but wondered why she was pointing, so I didn't accidentally look in the passenger mirror, but was watching the passenger side to figure out whey she was pointing, and I saw my door swung wide open and was just feet from the telephone pole......

Memories become more vivid with a little time.... -- --

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:16 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-n-Doe View Post
Thanks Guys will update on this.
Picked up the Coach on the 12th after being at the dealership for 2-months for warranty work. One of the issues was the wet bay door opening while traveling. Dealer Tech didn't think I knew how to properly close and secure the bin door.

They adjusted the latch and said it was fixed.

When we picked up the Coach on the 12th, the Tech and I did a walk around of the Coach opening, closing, and locking each cargo bin door. Got flagged down on the way home and was told the wet bin open and swinging into the adjacent lane.

Will try doing what has been suggested here and advise further.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-n-Doe View Post
Picked up the Coach on the 12th after being at the dealership for 2-months for warranty work. One of the issues was the wet bay door opening while traveling. Dealer Tech didn't think I knew how to properly close and secure the bin door.

They adjusted the latch and said it was fixed.

When we picked up the Coach on the 12th, the Tech and I did a walk around of the Coach opening, closing, and locking each cargo bin door. Got flagged down on the way home and was told the wet bin open and swinging into the adjacent lane.

Will try doing what has been suggested here and advise further.
Joe, I'm almost certain I know what is causing your problem, but it's really hard to explain in writing. If you'd like to have a telephone conversation, let me know and I'll send you a private message with my phone number.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:59 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Justforfun20 - Thanks for posting. Now I have something to go out and check on my coach today. I have not had a basement door come open while driving and I appreciate your sharing so hopefully I can avoid that.

I like this forum. Helpful info shared by people who have actually used their RV’s and experienced real problems. Thank You.

Hal and Pam
2017 Entegra Cornerstone - B
2020 Ford Edge ST
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:04 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Joe, I'm almost certain I know what is causing your problem, but it's really hard to explain in writing. If you'd like to have a telephone conversation, let me know and I'll send you a private message with my phone number.
Thanks Larry I would appreciate it!

Tags
door