Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2020, 12:31 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
As I stated in another thread. CoPilot on my iPad mounted on the dashboard. Truckers Path on my iPhone and using Apple TV mirrored to front TV. I use the RM screen for music. It’s useless to trust for navigation in my opinion. My DW doesn’t need a device in her lap. A quick glance gives her all she needs in a pretty large format.

Gary, I had my eyes done too but bifocal. Right eye distance. Left eye reading. I kick myself for waiting to get this done. Unbelievable better vision.
The Taj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2020, 07:01 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I have a 2018 Tiffin phaeton 40AH. I can display the in dash nav on the overhead tv as well as cast my Android tablet screed to that same tv. For the in dash unit you must first set the tv to component input, then one of the setup options on the Kenwood unit will output the nav app to the component out port. We actually cast the co-pilot nav app to the overhead tv quite a bit. It helps when navigating through big city freeways for the copilot person to help with exit numbers and which lane to be in.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:59 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Forgot to mention that on my 2015 Dutch Star, behind the overhead TV there is a white plug with two yellow wires. Just unplug that and the Overhead TV will remain on, ignition or not.

I've included two pictures as well, one to show the NAV display on the overhead as well as on the small Kenwood screen and one from the Passenger seat position. This makes it possible for my wife to watch the NAV screen while she's buckled in. She cannot see the Kenwood NAV screen from her seat.

Our Dutch Star didn't have the RCA cable from the factory so we did have to run one from the Kenwood, up the pillar and over to the TV. Also when I'm driving I do use the Kenwood Screen, not the overhead, just my choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nav Screen on overhead TV 1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	280358   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nav Screen on Overhead TV pass view.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	280359  

Dutchstar411 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:52 PM   #18

Overhead tv

I was in Tucson at my first Spartan class & a guy showed me how to put up the gps up on the tv. I think it is illegal because of the size of the tv screen. I did have a toll woman comment on how wonderful that was. I had forgot to turn it off.
She loves it because she can tell me where we are turning etc. of course she has been telling where to go for a long long time.
I look at it once in a while because with my driving glasses it is hard to read the lower screen. Of course I don’t do this in traffic because she is talking to me & I know ahead of time what we are doing.
I do turn it off at night because I believe the front should be a dark as possible for night vision.
Craneboy302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:47 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneboy302 View Post
I was in Tucson at my first Spartan class & a guy showed me how to put up the gps up on the tv. I think it is illegal because of the size of the tv screen......
I do not believe it is illegal. How is it different than a tablet running a navigation app?
However these are just opinions. Does anyone actually have factual knowledge about the law on this?
Old 04-10-2020, 07:55 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
I do not believe it is illegal. How is it different than a tablet running a navigation app?
However these are just opinions. Does anyone actually have factual knowledge about the law on this?
Video Screens seem to be OK if used for Navigation purposes, here is a state by state list of do's and don'ts on Video Screens...

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/video-screens/
Old 04-10-2020, 09:31 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
Video Screens seem to be OK if used for Navigation purposes, here is a state by state list of do's and don'ts on Video Screens...

Man that is all over the place. Many states have no regulation at all, while others seem to indicate any video screen is illegal, even dedicated GPS devices.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:09 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
Man that is all over the place. Many states have no regulation at all, while others seem to indicate any video screen is illegal, even dedicated GPS devices.
I believe one of the main keys is if the Driver can view it from where he or she is sitting. I'm in Florida and that is the main issue I would have to overcome if stopped. But also with a NAV screen up I don't think most police officers would have an issue as opposed to watching a movie or TV show. I'll let you know if I ever get stopped and get a ticket or warning!!!
Old 05-25-2020, 11:12 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post

Keep in mind that list is not a list of state driving laws but a list of a magazine writers interpretation of video screen and driving laws and we all know what a bad job they do regarding towed car, trailer, breakaway brake, driver license and GVWR law charts.

All of the video screen laws I've actually read (and I haven't read all of them) indicate it is only illegal if the screen is receiving video broadcast TV signals. I can guarantee you that the US auto manufacturers, including Tesla with their giant screen, would not be installing all manner of large and small video screens in cars and trucks if it was illegal.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:33 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Keep in mind that list is not a list of state driving laws but a list of a magazine writers interpretation of video screen and driving laws and we all know what a bad job they do regarding towed car, trailer, breakaway brake, driver license and GVWR law charts.

All of the video screen laws I've actually read (and I haven't read all of them) indicate it is only illegal if the screen is receiving video broadcast TV signals. I can guarantee you that the US auto manufacturers, including Tesla with their giant screen, would not be installing all manner of large and small video screens in cars and trucks if it was illegal.
I think it would also be illegal if a DVD video was playing on that screen while driving.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:18 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
I think it would also be illegal if a DVD video was playing on that screen while driving.
You might think that but in the cases I've actually read, it specifically states "Broadcast" TV signals.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:30 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
You might think that but in the cases I've actually read, it specifically states "Broadcast" TV signals.
My guess would be that the law was written prior to videos or DVD’s being available or thought of for viewing in vehicles.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:24 PM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Here's the applicable Code of Virginia (https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/...on46.2-1077/):

§ 46.2-1077. Motor vehicles not to be equipped with television within view of driver; viewing motion pictures or similar displays while driving.
A. No motor vehicle registered in the Commonwealth shall be equipped with, nor shall there be used therein, a television receiver when the moving images are visible to the driver while the vehicle is in motion. The operator of a motor vehicle that is not required to be registered in the Commonwealth shall not operate a television receiver that violates the provisions of this section while driving in the Commonwealth.

The prohibitions contained in this subsection shall not, however, include:

1. Electronic displays used in conjunction with vehicle navigation and mapping systems, or as part of a digital dispatch system;

2. Closed circuit video monitors designed to operate only in conjunction with dedicated video cameras and used in rear-view systems on trucks, motor homes, and other motor vehicles;

3. Television receivers or monitors used in government-owned vehicles by law-enforcement officers and employees of the Department of Transportation in the course of their official duties;

4. Visual displays used to enhance or supplement the driver's view forward, behind, or to the sides of a motor vehicle for the purpose of maneuvering the vehicle;

5. A vehicle information display;

6. A visual display used to enhance or supplement a driver's view of vehicle occupants;

7. Television-type receiving equipment used exclusively for safety or traffic engineering information; or

8. A television receiver, video monitor, television or video screen, or any other similar means of visually displaying a moving image, if that equipment is factory-installed and has an interlock device that, when the motor vehicle operator is performing one or more of the driving tasks, disables the equipment so that such moving images are not visible to the motor vehicle operator except as a visual display described in subdivisions 1 through 7. For the purposes of this subdivision, "driving task" means all of the real-time functions required to operate a vehicle in on-road traffic, excluding the selection of destinations and waypoints, and including steering, turning, lane keeping and lane changing, accelerating, and decelerating.

B. Except for displays explicitly authorized in subsection A, no driver of any motor vehicle shall view any motion picture or similar video display while driving.

Code 1950, § 46-219.1; 1950, p. 882; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-202; 1989, c. 727; 1994, c. 117; 2005, cc. 210, 913; 2007, c. 110; 2011, c. 275; 2016, cc. 302, 707.

Take care,
Stu
Old 05-30-2020, 04:43 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Statutes - 316.303 Television receivers.—

The 2019 Florida Statutes

Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES
Chapter 316
STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL
View Entire Chapter
316.303 Television receivers.—
(1) A motor vehicle may not be operated on the highways of this state if the vehicle is actively displaying moving television broadcast or pre-recorded video entertainment content that is visible from the driver’s seat while the vehicle is in motion, unless the vehicle is being operated with the automated driving system engaged.
(2) This section does not prohibit the use of television-type receiving equipment used exclusively for safety or law enforcement purposes, provided such use is approved by the department.
(3) This section does not prohibit the use of an electronic display used in conjunction with a vehicle navigation system; an electronic display used by an operator of an autonomous vehicle, as defined in s. 316.003(3); or an electronic display used by an operator of a vehicle equipped and operating with driver-assistive truck platooning technology, as defined in s. 316.003.
(4) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.
History.—s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 1, ch. 76-31; s. 26, ch. 94-306; s. 218, ch. 99-248; s. 5, ch. 2016-181; s. 9, ch. 2016-239; s. 13, ch. 2018-130; s. 6, ch. 2019-101.
Note.—Former s. 316.275.

Thanks Stu, I took your lead for my state!

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/.../0316.303.html

Tags
dash, gps