Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2016, 09:03 AM   #1

Independent Auto Insurance Agents

We start full-timing soon and have decided to use South Dakota as our domicile. Coach is currently in production and I'm talking with a few independent insurance agents trying to get the best coverage and cost.

For those of you that call SD your home is there any agents out there that you worked with that you like and/or dislike? This exercise will be interesting since I've never looked in another state for auto insurance. I've also got to take in the fact that we'll be needing fulltimer insurance and this is going to be a whole new learning curve.......
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2016, 09:21 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Call Gina at Epic Insurance, she's wonderful to work with and knows what full timers need. Epic Insurance: Offering Home, Auto, Business, Health, Life and RV Insurance
Rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:12 AM   #3

OVERLAND INSURANCE,Queen Creek Arizona , Ron Jarvie 480-994-9584 or ron@rvins.com. We've been very satisfied the past 2 years as SD full timers.

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:39 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
OVERLAND INSURANCE,Queen Creek Arizona , Ron Jarvie 480-994-9584 or ron@rvins.com. We've been very satisfied the past 2 years as SD full timers.
X2
2024 RAM Limited FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:53 PM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
X3! Ron understands the difference between autos and RVs.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:53 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
The agency that RVOne pointed us at did fine by us...that said, don't be afraid to reshop it every year. Whoever you choose is likely going to increase you second year by 10-15%. They think they have you; doesn't hurt to have the same outfit shop you around. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:07 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Lot's of good agents and companies out there, Ron is one of them. However when shopping do make sure you are getting complete"replacement cost" on the policy you are being quoted. Without it, replacement cost in a couple of years may be 50 cents on the dollar if totaled. There has already been $25,000 in price increase since mine was purchased. The lower policy prices I was being quoted did not have full replacement coverage.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:22 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I agree with Chuck. Although it costs a little more to include Total Loss Replacement, for us we thought it was definitely worth it. We insured thru Overland Insurance and our policy states "In the event of a total loss, during the first 5 model years, the Company will replace your RV with a new untitled one. The new coach will be a comparably equipped (same make and model if possible) as the lost RV".

Without this coverage, the policy would pay only the actual cash value or fair market value of the destroyed coach. That would be a little tough to handle if you still had an outstanding loan balance.

I know, insurance is a crap shoot, but we felt this was a good addition to our policy. The money saved annually by not having this coverage would never come close to replacing our coach if it were destroyed.

One other thing Overland Insurance has done is to partner with Coach-Net to provide a special discounted rate. For those reaching the end of the Entegra provided coverage with Coach-Net, the cost for 1 year of coverage is $100 or 5 years for $380. The way they have it priced, the 5 year cost offers the best value. They do offer 2,3 and 4 year prices too. Unlike what we have thru Entegra, this offer (Premier) includes all other personal vehicles owned, rented, or borrowed.

Hope this helps, Brian
Old 01-09-2016, 02:27 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Definitely agree on the replacement cost coverage! I changed to Allied which is a Nationwide Company. Got what we feel was a really good deal.
2004 Jeep Liberty Limited - FMCA #343990
BHutting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Lot's of good agents and companies out there, Ron is one of them. However when shopping do make sure you are getting complete"replacement cost" on the policy you are being quoted. Without it, replacement cost in a couple of years may be 50 cents on the dollar if totaled. There has already been $25,000 in price increase since mine was purchased. The lower policy prices I was being quoted did not have full replacement coverage.
Chuck , as usual very good advice. We learned years ago in the early stages of self employment not to get too attached to any one insurance company,or agency.

We put out 3 bids again this year and Overland Insurance/Ron Jarvie came back with the best coverage ( full replacement for 5 yrs ) and premium BUT that was for us under our circumstances which may not be the same for someone else.

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:02 PM   #11

I just paid for another year of insurance with a different company due to an outrageous increase in premium (~35%) with no claims, no citations, nothing, and my credit is bulletproof. So I shopped around and it paid off by a much lower premium.

Now, here is something that I was told by an agent. I was told that more and more companies are not writing "full replacement policies" which even last year were pretty much the default policy written. I made sure that I still got full replacement value for 5 years on my new policy, but a number of big companies are moving away from that.... so for whoever said it above, BE SURE AND TALK ABOUT THE FULL REPLACEMENT ISSUE and make sure that you are getting it.

And as Dave said, be sure and examine your renewal carefully and compare it to last year's rate (don't just reach for the check or AMEX card), and my increase was breathtaking.... Last years policy was an FMCA group policy and whatever is going on there is NUTS!!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
so for whoever said it above, BE SURE AND TALK ABOUT THE FULL REPLACEMENT ISSUE and make sure that you are getting it.Gary
Well Gary, that "whoever said it above" was me. I have no reason to doubt what I quoted in my post since it was directly off of my policy.

If I'm wrong, maybe I can solicit your help in suing my insurance company if the need arises since you seem to be so knowledgable in this subject area.

Brian
Old 01-09-2016, 06:02 PM   #13

Mine is with Safeco and actually went down by over two hundred dollars with the same coverage so I just renewed it for another year without shopping.

2016 44 B Topaz Cornerstone
2014 MKT towed
Old 01-09-2016, 06:59 PM   #14

Brian

I was't questioning your ability to read or understand.... I was agreeing with you in fact, and was trying to emphasize to others that they needed to be paying attention to the issue. A little thin skinned this evening?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance