Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2020, 06:48 AM   #15

I've been meaning to ask: where do you plug in your Viair? I have been connecting to my Jeep's battery and letting the engine idle.
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2020, 09:05 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
OK, I'm not trying to cast any aspersion on the proponents of the Viair inflators. They are, without doubt, a fine device for topping off tires. I've never owned one, so, I can't offer any personal opinion.

However, I have found an alternative solution that has met my needs for several years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Inflator.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	374.9 KB
ID:	307761

I own a couple of DeWalt battery powered tools so I had a few of their 20v batteries before I started looking for a portable, small, light device that would be capable of topping off my tires when I occasionally needed to increase tire pressure a few psi.

The DEWALT DCC020IB 20-Volt MAX Corded/Cordless Air Inflator (tool only) can be pourchased from Home depot (https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-2...20IB/305709688) for $104.

It can be powered using the 20v battery, 12v DC or 110v AC. I prefer the battery power because I don't have to mess with plugging it in and dragging a cord as I move around the coach. There's enough charge in one battery to handle routine adjustments (a few psi on several tires). One battery will probably not handle a 5 psi adjustment on all 8 tires, but, I can't recall the last time that I had to plug it in. I actually carry it in my toad and have used it there several times to handle low air issues.

I only offer this as a suggestion that I've found an adequate solution to my tire pressure adjustment issues for about 1/3 the cost of the Viair inflators. If you don't already have the batteries and want to benefit from that degree of untethered use, that will increase your cost.

Here's a link to a Consumer Reports article (https://www.consumerreports.org/tire...r-maintenance/) discussing the DeWalt inflator, as well as several others.

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-12-2020, 09:24 AM   #17

Commercial Member

"Fill" a tire ?

If you are just topping off (adding 5 to 10 psi) pr are you inflating a "flat" tire?

The Viair should be just fine to top off your tires. Don't know how tire size would affect the max pressure. Size can only affect the time it takes to raise the inflation.

If you need to add more than 15 to 20 psi then I wonder why you are allowing your tires to get that low or if you have a problem such as leaking valve or punctured tire.

If your steel body tires are run when at or below 80$ of what they should be inflated to then let a professional service do the job as the steel body cords could be damaged from running low.
https://youtu.be/DYBGnLHpP0Q
Old 11-12-2020, 10:10 AM   #18

I agree, I bought a pancake at home depot on sale for $99 and it works great and is fast. I hear a lot of communist bring an airline and use the onboard compressor, anyone do this?
RandyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:19 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo-tek View Post
I've been meaning to ask: where do you plug in your Viair? I have been connecting to my Jeep's battery and letting the engine idle.
In the small forward compartment on the drivers side there is a 12 volt connecter to hook the Viair to. From there it takes one of the air lines to reach all but the passenger rear and tags, for those add the second line that came with the unit.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 01:56 PM   #20

My 2019 Cornerstone has 365s on the steers and my coach has been 4-corner weighed twice. Based on my loads and the Michelin load-pressure charts, I run my front 365s at 115psi each and that is plenty within the safety factors.

IMO, there is NO REASON what-so-ever for Entegra to be recommending, and you actually running, 125 psi in those tires. You are going to have a significantly rougher ride than you need. Although 4 corner weights are the "RIGHT" way to set your pressures, axle weights are a reasonable second best for the steers. Every NIRVC location is capable of giving you 4 corner weights. That is the best thing to get, but if that is impossible, then a front axle weight will probably get you safe on both steer tires. You could have a massive side to side weight imbalance that you will not "see" if you dont get 4-corner weights.

I run 115# on the steers, and 90# on all the drive/tag tires.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 01:59 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My 365/70 tires take 125 psi. I use my Viair 450 RV unit to do it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:19 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Inflate 365 steer tires to 125 psi

A washer broke one of my TST sensors so I had to fill a flat dual. My 450P-RV did it without issue in about 40 minutes. The screw on connection and a clamp to hold the handle down is very handy. It has a continuous duty cycle.

I use the alligator clamps to attach it to the engine batteries.
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:00 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Lo-Tec, I plug up my VIAir in the same place the Gary S said. In the small compartment on the drivers side front. It is easy access.

I do the same thing Gary S said for filling the tires as well. I use the hose extender to reach the passenger side dual.

If you get the complete kit with the VIAir it comes with everything you need.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:45 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysfb View Post
In the small forward compartment on the drivers side there is a 12 volt connecter to hook the Viair to. From there it takes one of the air lines to reach all but the passenger rear and tags, for those add the second line that came with the unit.
Thanks! I'll take a look this weekend but I may need an adapter; my viair has positive and negative alligator clips.
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:53 AM   #25

I two use the 20 volt Dewalt. I love it because you don't have to drag out any chords or hoses. The other thing I like about it is you set the pressure walk away from it and it automatically shuts off when the tire reaches that pressure so you're not having the hover over a tire on your knees. Checking and rechecking pressure with a separate gauge.
entegra sw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:59 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by entegra sw View Post
I love it because you don't have to drag out any chords or hoses. The other thing I like about it is you set the pressure walk away from it and it automatically shuts off when the tire reaches that pressure so you're not having the hover over a tire on your knees. Checking and rechecking pressure with a separate gauge.
Hi Steve,

Exactly why I like my DeWalt, too.

Oh, did I mention that I really like its ability to filter out all impurities from ambient air so that it's only pumping dry nitrogen into your tires?

Take care,
Stu

P.S. I'm joking about the dry nitrogen.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:04 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo-tek View Post
Thanks! I'll take a look this weekend but I may need an adapter; my viair has positive and negative alligator clips.
The connection in that compartment is a positive and negative with protective covers. Just pop off the covers and attach the alligator clips.

Just one other thing to watch with the Viair unit while you are filling. The gauge will read higher than actual as you are filling, when you let go of the trigger it will come down a few pounds but still not accurate. What I do then is disengage and reengage and that pressure reading will be another couple of pounds down, but accurate. In my case it will then match the pressures on my TTS TPMS.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:36 AM   #28

IMO, Everybody needs to find themselves a high quality "truck Tire Pressure " gauge and use it. What GarySB says is generally correct about the pressures changing on the Viair gauge, but I never depend on the Viair pressure gauge.... the gold standard is a high quality stainless steel truck tire pressure gauge. I keep mine in my step drawer for quick access and accurate pressure checking before each trip. That gauge is the one that I believe!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires