Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2021, 03:43 PM   #1

Inside Switch for Grey Tank Valve, 2022 Cornerstone

In my 2017 Anthem I put in a Drainmaster electric valve because they have a 2 switch solution.

Getting my 2022 Cornerstone soon, I just got off the phone with support at Valterra and they don't have a recommendation for how to hook up a remote (inside) switch on their valve. I know a few people have done it, not sure if you get good light indicators on whether it is open or closed. Looking for any advice.

thanks

Van Sayler
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2021, 11:01 AM   #2

Based on the feedback, it seems no one is really putting in a remote switch. So I will go with a new valve, the drainmaster that has a factory dual switch setup.
Van
Old 09-19-2021, 11:24 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I was looking forward to hearing how to add the second switch to the 21/22's
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 01:43 PM   #4

Rollin101, had his pre-wired at the factory and installed switches inside. You might ask him
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:35 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
Rollin101, had his pre-wired at the factory and installed switches inside. You might ask him
Thanks, I will. I wish I would have thought of that.
Old 09-19-2021, 02:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Thanks, I will. I wish I would have thought of that.
Still doable, you just need to be a contortionist
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 03:53 PM   #7

I put the electric DrainMaster valves for grey and black in our 2020 Anthem earlier this year. The double switch set up in the wet bay and the mid-bath cabinet (44B) are the best mod I have ever done. Also ran conductors for a second switch for mascerator into the mid-bath. Works great and no going outside to dump tanks! The 12v conductors for the valves are already in the wiring bundle so you just need to find them tucked up inside the wet bay.
GrandPaPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:24 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The Valtera drain valves are different than the Drainmaster. You cannot just add a second switch. However, I did add switches to my Valterra valves, as well as remote switches for the tank fill valve, black tank flush, macerator and even Blue Power chemical tank pump to add chemical to the black tank. Those extras simply required switches but in order to get the dump valves to work remotely I had to use a pair of relays on each dump valve to make that happen.

I wanted to stay with the Valterra valves because they use steel gears rather than nylon as used in the Drainmaster. The problem is that the valve gets power from the rocker switch and once the valve moves to its location the circuit is interrupted so that there is no more power draw. The A and B wire connections reverse polarity and when the switch is moved the second time the power is reversed and the A & B becomes B & A. This works well but you can't simply add a second switch without getting things all crossed up.

By adding a pair of relays you can allow a pair of switches to control the pilot relay while the secondary relay controls the polarity. It takes a bit of wiring but it's not hard to do. The hard part was figuring out the wiring schematic. The nice thing is that I can dump the holding tanks, fill the fresh tank, flush the black tank, add chemical to the black tank and even operate the macerator (if I'm using it rather than the 3" slinky) all from the mid-bath while watching out the window as the rain is falling.

Attached are two of the schematics I drew up. Note that I added a pair of 12 volt solenoid operated water valves for the black tank flush and also for the fresh tank fill that I ordered from Amazon. These were connected parallel to the manual valves in the basement. The chemical tank is actually the same as the windshield washer fluid tank and pump used by Entegra. It's the same as a Bluebird bus and I believe you can get them from the same place (Wiper Technologies) you can get windshield wipers from. The rocker switches are standard mini-rockers with pilot lights that illuminate when the switch is in the "on" position. The relays are DPDT with 12 volt DC coils that I got from Grainger.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Valtera Drain Valve Wiring - Modified.pdf (21.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: pdf Mid-Bath Cabinet Wiring.pdf (14.2 KB, 12 views)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:15 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Thank you Mark. Perfect explanation.

Tags
grey tank, switch, tank, valve