Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2018, 06:54 AM   #1

Insurance - again

This is a recurring topic. I just wanted an opportunity to praise the services of Ron Jarvie from Overland. Others here have spoken well of him.

My Progressive policy has doubled between Aug 2014 and now. I put out a few inquiries and got quotes. Overland, Ron Jarvie, were the best with the fastest service. I keep high deductibles and I did insure at market value rather that total replacement cost. I have no moving violations but did have a fender-bender 18 months ago.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2018, 06:59 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Thank you for posting that, I have to make the insurance decision today, perfect timing. But I do want full replacement for the first couple of year as that is where the big hit is. After that replacement cost is fine.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:15 AM   #3

Thanks for the post.

One area we are trying to educate ourselves is the possibility that the RV will be stored out of state (no good storage locations in NW Indiana). It seems that limits our options. If anyone has thoughts (or better yet experiences) with this wrinkle I am very appreciative of your guidance.

Getting closer to making that first RV purchase and trying to have all things lined up (or as much as possible)

TIA!
g00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:20 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I store off site. I store in a secure location out of the hurricane flood zone and do get a better rate for that. It's 10 miles inland vs right on the coast.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:10 AM   #5

I didnt think that storage elsewhere was any problem at all.... What are you being told?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:16 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I didnt think that storage elsewhere was any problem at all.... What are you being told?

Gary
Where you store the rig is always a question they ask for insurance.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:24 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post

Gary
I volunteer it . Most agents don't ask and it makes a difference in my area being in a hurricane flood zone. It goes by zip codes.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #8

Stored "off-site" isn't the issue.

Stored (securely and indoors - which I would think is a benefit to the insurer) in a state that is NOT where it is titled (state of my residence) is an issue for some insurers.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:41 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00se View Post
Stored "off-site" isn't the issue.

Stored (securely and indoors - which I would think is a benefit to the insurer) in a state that is NOT where it is titled (state of my residence) is an issue for some insurers.

I played that game today as well. I did go with the insurance company, Progressive, that did have the best rate and coverage for my situation. Safeco really doesn't care to insure in FL unless I went with a stripped down policy, where awnings, etc were depreciated instead of full coverage. That will probably change next year depending on this years storm season.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #10

My renewal is coming up to and currently I'M with National General and they went up $300. I shopped all the major carriers and National General was still the lowest by $900. I'm staying with them.

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
My renewal is coming up to and currently I'M with National General and they went up $300. I shopped all the major carriers and National General was still the lowest by $900. I'm staying with them.
National General was the lowest for me as well, HOWEVER they no longer will do full replacement coverage over $300,000. which forced me to change after being with them for 14 years. Too much of a risk for me on the new coach.
In today's market, every carrier is different, even more so in the areas that had hurricanes last year.

It's post like these that we learn what is going on in the market place and in what areas
Old 07-18-2018, 05:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
National General was the lowest for me as well, HOWEVER they no longer will do full replacement coverage over $300,000. which forced me to change after being with them for 14 years. Too much of a risk for me on the new coach.
In today's market, every carrier is different, even more so in the areas that had hurricanes last year.

It's post like these that we learn what is going on in the market place and in what areas

When I was shopping last year I could not find anyone to cover me for full replacement coverage, the reason I did not buy it new.

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:58 AM   #13

I did a Geico and Progressive online quote for a 2019 Anthem 44F. I did get a quote from Progressive but Geico said to call.

I planned to try National General but hearing no replacement over $300K is a problem. I will also call Overland based on the OPs comments. I'll re-read some of the other threads here and on the Diesel pusher Facebook page for other suggestions.

Hastings has our car insurance - that was who declined writing a policy for an RV garaged out of state.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:59 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
When I was shopping last year I could not find anyone to cover me for full replacement coverage, the reason I did not buy it new.
Here the kicker same insurance company, Progressive, different agents. One says the cap is $500,000. the other shows it as full replacement, no cap. Same price for policy...go figure. I went with FMCA Progressive, much like I did Good Sam's and Nat Gen. as I have the large group behind me if there is ever a problem. Policy rates were the same as other agents, so why not.

Tags
insurance