Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2020, 01:54 PM   #1

Insurance for Full Timers

So i have a question on insurance for full timers. I am looking to change out my insurance to a different company that offers additional coverage than some of the basic coverage i Currently have.. Example this weekend my pup bite someone , and i was checking my coverage which does not cover this in the event i get sued. I been looking around online example Good Sam insurance which seems comprehensive but can be very pricy. Other scenario for coverage if they stole our personal items that are outside the RV example our E BIKES. AS it seems renters insurance would cover this but for an RV full timer it does not cover.

Here are some of the options from GOOD SAM , i got it quoted and it was like almost $600 plus a month ,....

Personal Liability for Full Timers – This is similar to vacation
liability and pays for injuries that happen around your RV or on your
property.

Medical Payments to Others – Covers the costs of medical expenses
incurred by those who are injured while visiting your RV and/or the
property around it.

Personal Belongings Coverage – As a full-timer, we know you’re
carrying most of your possessions with you. We offer up to $3,000 of
full replacement cost coverage at no extra cost to you.

Emergency Expense Allowance – The Good Sam Insurance Agency covers
the costs of food and lodging if you’re ever involved in a covered
claim more than 100 miles from home.
I am jus looking for insurance recommendations that would offer various levels of coverages .
ECVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2020, 03:33 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm not a full timer YET so I'm interested in what you find out.

As I understand it there are only 4 companies that insure full timers but $7,200 a year seems terribly high to me.

What are you insuring? My 2011 DP costs me a little over $800.00 per year for use up to 184 days at a time. So I could go 180 over the winter park it for say a week or so and go again - in my case I'm looking at Dec to Mid Apr for over the winter for 140 days and then 60 days over the summer/fall for a total of 200 days. My agent said no problem but they don't insure for FT.

Best of luck - Richard
Old 05-18-2020, 03:54 PM   #3

Richard ,

What i am looking for is something comparable to our previous sticks and brick coverage.. I had USAA for my home until we sold it i was paying like $2k a year if i recall .. Right now have Statefarm , but they treat the MH it like an automobile where your covered only in accidents , floods etc.. as would your auto policy would cover.

On my stick and bricks policy , we were out of town and got robbed and they stole our phones. I called USAA and they covered our stolen property under our homeowners policy minus the deductible, If that happened now I am SOL, or if someone stole our Bikes that were chained to the coach , it would not be covered. Also , if someone was injured in our MH ( IE dog bite , or slipped down the stairs , or if maybe something weird like a chair blew onto another coach causing injury or damage to someone else's property .. ( just brainstorming here)

So i am looking for something similar to what i perviously had in our SB without breaking the bank. USAA partners with Progressive but they are still high as well. I asked about renters insurance but RV's do not fall under any category only MobileHomes..

I might be asking too much , but figured i get collectivity get everyone's input
here .

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
I'm not a full timer YET so I'm interested in what you find out.

As I understand it there are only 4 companies that insure full timers but $7,200 a year seems terribly high to me.

What are you insuring? My 2011 DP costs me a little over $800.00 per year for use up to 184 days at a time. So I could go 180 over the winter park it for say a week or so and go again - in my case I'm looking at Dec to Mid Apr for over the winter for 140 days and then 60 days over the summer/fall for a total of 200 days. My agent said no problem but they don't insure for FT.

Best of luck - Richard
Old 05-18-2020, 08:43 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This topic comes up at least 1 or 2x/ year. Recommend calling Ron Jarvie, Overland Insurance, (800) 677-4027. He specializes in RV insurance and can walk you though the peculiarities of full timers insurance. We’ve been full timing for 5 years and Ron has been very helpful. Many folks on the forum use him. There are also a few other brokers folks use. Others will probably pop up and post more info. We use Progressive and have been satisfied with them. Good luck in your search.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:03 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
We have had progressive and finally went to Geico. Cost for our 2013 anthem and 2016 Lincoln MKZ is $290 per month. I difference if I paid annually. I have not found anything even close to that
Old 05-19-2020, 05:34 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
We have been full time for 8 years and have found insurance to be a yearly issue. Two big cost drivers are your home base address and if you have full replacement cost.

The first, home base doesn't make sense because you declare yourself as full time but the companies don't care. To check quotes find states that allow mailing services as permanent addresses. Use multiple mail service addresses in different states for your quotes. We picked Florida for tax reasons. The location of the mailing service in the state has a big impact on the rate as well, we found the best rate in central FL away from the coast.
The second is replacement cost, if you do not need this then there are more companies that will quote. Good Sam, FMCA and others are just agents and use mainly Progressive and National General and for replacement cost, I think these may be the only 2 big players. I know both of these companies will let you set your liability and personal belonging amounts. This year to get around the replacement cost issue I was able to set the insured amount for the RV which would be the replacement cost. For some reason this was more agreeable to them than saying replacement cost.
As I mentioned in the forum, all of these insurers raise your rates after the first year, we change every year so count on changing every year.
One last Item if you go the route of registering in Montana as an LCC your insurance rates will be much higher.
Hope this helps.
AMHTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grower15 View Post
This topic comes up at least 1 or 2x/ year. Recommend calling Ron Jarvie, Overland Insurance, (800) 677-4027. He specializes in RV insurance and can walk you though the peculiarities of full timers insurance. We’ve been full timing for 5 years and Ron has been very helpful. Many folks on the forum use him. There are also a few other brokers folks use. Others will probably pop up and post more info. We use Progressive and have been satisfied with them. Good luck in your search.
X2 !
Old 05-19-2020, 09:03 AM   #8

Thank you ,

I been using my parents home address as our permanent address in Texas , but i am in the process of looking at mailing services to see what makes sense to lower rates and taxes.

All good info here , thanks for chiming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMHTravelers View Post
We have been full time for 8 years and have found insurance to be a yearly issue. Two big cost drivers are your home base address and if you have full replacement cost.

The first, home base doesn't make sense because you declare yourself as full time but the companies don't care. To check quotes find states that allow mailing services as permanent addresses. Use multiple mail service addresses in different states for your quotes. We picked Florida for tax reasons. The location of the mailing service in the state has a big impact on the rate as well, we found the best rate in central FL away from the coast.
The second is replacement cost, if you do not need this then there are more companies that will quote. Good Sam, FMCA and others are just agents and use mainly Progressive and National General and for replacement cost, I think these may be the only 2 big players. I know both of these companies will let you set your liability and personal belonging amounts. This year to get around the replacement cost issue I was able to set the insured amount for the RV which would be the replacement cost. For some reason this was more agreeable to them than saying replacement cost.
As I mentioned in the forum, all of these insurers raise your rates after the first year, we change every year so count on changing every year.
One last Item if you go the route of registering in Montana as an LCC your insurance rates will be much higher.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECVB View Post
So i have a question on insurance for full timers. I am looking to change out my insurance to a different company that offers additional coverage than some of the basic coverage i Currently have.. Example this weekend my pup bite someone , and i was checking my coverage which does not cover this in the event i get sued. I been looking around online example Good Sam insurance which seems comprehensive but can be very pricy. Other scenario for coverage if they stole our personal items that are outside the RV example our E BIKES. AS it seems renters insurance would cover this but for an RV full timer it does not cover.

Here are some of the options from GOOD SAM , i got it quoted and it was like almost $600 plus a month ,....

Personal Liability for Full Timers – This is similar to vacation

liability and pays for injuries that happen around your RV or on your

property.

Medical Payments to Others – Covers the costs of medical expenses

incurred by those who are injured while visiting your RV and/or the

property around it.

Personal Belongings Coverage – As a full-timer, we know you’re

carrying most of your possessions with you. We offer up to $3,000 of

full replacement cost coverage at no extra cost to you.

Emergency Expense Allowance – The Good Sam Insurance Agency covers

the costs of food and lodging if you’re ever involved in a covered

claim more than 100 miles from home.

I am jus looking for insurance recommendations that would offer various levels of coverages .

I would look into Progressive Insurance. We pay right at $600 a year for full-timer coverage. Just after being insured with them for 6 months; I think literally by a matter of days (6 months is their probation period) we had an accident that cost them (Progressive) just over 10K in repair costs. It was also in conjunction with changing my policy from WA to CA which everyone knows CA is ridiculously expensive for insurance! Instead of my insurance going up which I fully expected, it actually went down a little bit. Not much but nonetheless it went down rather than up. One thing you want to make sure you get is the emergency funds in your policy in the event you have to get temporary lodging due to your rig being in the shop. I can’t remember the exact amount I have now without looking at my policy but I know it’s at least $7,000 to cover hotel costs etc if we were in an accident again. I didn’t even know about this coverage when we got into that accident which put us 3 weeks in a relatives spare room and hotels. At that time I found out I have like $1,500 and was excited about that which paid for a hotel for us for about a week. When I renewed my policy, I was sure to max that coverage out which I now have.
Chris n Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:56 AM   #10

So looks like its based on state to state . I had a long conversation with the Geico rep. Something similar to a homeowners policy would be called VACATION POLICY , but that is not offered in the state of Texas. So would still need to get a supplemental policy to cover anything external of the RV.

I canceled my Statefarm and will be moving over to Geico since it was almost 100 dollars cheaper a month to move over plus add my toad from USAA.

Other option would be to change residency over to another state so i can get the Vacation Policy.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:01 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Whether full or part time, make sure you adequately insure your contents. We never thought you could lose everything in the coach - but we did. It was a rude awakening to find out how fast we maxed out our coverage. We now carry 4x that amount and wonder if we upped it enough.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:13 AM   #12

Good points , we did make sure to add in more than enough insurance for personal contents. The price increase is minimal , better to be safe than sorry , however most of our valuables have been left with relatives or been gifted to kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgoldie View Post
Whether full or part time, make sure you adequately insure your contents. We never thought you could lose everything in the coach - but we did. It was a rude awakening to find out how fast we maxed out our coverage. We now carry 4x that amount and wonder if we upped it enough.

Tags
full time, full timer, insurance