Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-18-2020, 01:54 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
ECVB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 450
Insurance for Full Timers

So i have a question on insurance for full timers. I am looking to change out my insurance to a different company that offers additional coverage than some of the basic coverage i Currently have.. Example this weekend my pup bite someone , and i was checking my coverage which does not cover this in the event i get sued. I been looking around online example Good Sam insurance which seems comprehensive but can be very pricy. Other scenario for coverage if they stole our personal items that are outside the RV example our E BIKES. AS it seems renters insurance would cover this but for an RV full timer it does not cover.


Here are some of the options from GOOD SAM , i got it quoted and it was like almost $600 plus a month ,....

Personal Liability for Full Timers – This is similar to vacation
liability and pays for injuries that happen around your RV or on your
property.

Medical Payments to Others – Covers the costs of medical expenses
incurred by those who are injured while visiting your RV and/or the
property around it.

Personal Belongings Coverage – As a full-timer, we know you’re
carrying most of your possessions with you. We offer up to $3,000 of
full replacement cost coverage at no extra cost to you.

Emergency Expense Allowance – The Good Sam Insurance Agency covers
the costs of food and lodging if you’re ever involved in a covered
claim more than 100 miles from home.
I am jus looking for insurance recommendations that would offer various levels of coverages .
__________________
2014 Entegra Anthem DEQ
2020 Jeep Gladiator
2017 Indian RoadMaster
ECVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2020, 03:33 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 1,070
I'm not a full timer YET so I'm interested in what you find out.

As I understand it there are only 4 companies that insure full timers but $7,200 a year seems terribly high to me.

What are you insuring? My 2011 DP costs me a little over $800.00 per year for use up to 184 days at a time. So I could go 180 over the winter park it for say a week or so and go again - in my case I'm looking at Dec to Mid Apr for over the winter for 140 days and then 60 days over the summer/fall for a total of 200 days. My agent said no problem but they don't insure for FT.

Best of luck - Richard
__________________
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD; 2012 Buick La Crosse; Retired US Army MSG (20 years AFS); Retired! Retired!
rrtribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:54 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
ECVB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 450
Richard ,

What i am looking for is something comparable to our previous sticks and brick coverage.. I had USAA for my home until we sold it i was paying like $2k a year if i recall .. Right now have Statefarm , but they treat the MH it like an automobile where your covered only in accidents , floods etc.. as would your auto policy would cover.

On my stick and bricks policy , we were out of town and got robbed and they stole our phones. I called USAA and they covered our stolen property under our homeowners policy minus the deductible, If that happened now I am SOL, or if someone stole our Bikes that were chained to the coach , it would not be covered. Also , if someone was injured in our MH ( IE dog bite , or slipped down the stairs , or if maybe something weird like a chair blew onto another coach causing injury or damage to someone else's property .. ( just brainstorming here)

So i am looking for something similar to what i perviously had in our SB without breaking the bank. USAA partners with Progressive but they are still high as well. I asked about renters insurance but RV's do not fall under any category only MobileHomes..


I might be asking too much , but figured i get collectivity get everyone's input
here .

Thanks,


Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
I'm not a full timer YET so I'm interested in what you find out.

As I understand it there are only 4 companies that insure full timers but $7,200 a year seems terribly high to me.

What are you insuring? My 2011 DP costs me a little over $800.00 per year for use up to 184 days at a time. So I could go 180 over the winter park it for say a week or so and go again - in my case I'm looking at Dec to Mid Apr for over the winter for 140 days and then 60 days over the summer/fall for a total of 200 days. My agent said no problem but they don't insure for FT.

Best of luck - Richard
__________________
2014 Entegra Anthem DEQ
2020 Jeep Gladiator
2017 Indian RoadMaster
ECVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:43 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 779
This topic comes up at least 1 or 2x/ year. Recommend calling Ron Jarvie, Overland Insurance, (800) 677-4027. He specializes in RV insurance and can walk you though the peculiarities of full timers insurance. We’ve been full timing for 5 years and Ron has been very helpful. Many folks on the forum use him. There are also a few other brokers folks use. Others will probably pop up and post more info. We use Progressive and have been satisfied with them. Good luck in your search.
__________________
Senior Member
Grower15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:03 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
philnail's Avatar


 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Full Time - Most of the time we are lost.
Posts: 729
We have had progressive and finally went to Geico. Cost for our 2013 anthem and 2016 Lincoln MKZ is $290 per month. I difference if I paid annually. I have not found anything even close to that
__________________
BBQ-Guy
philnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:34 AM   #6
Member
 
AMHTravelers's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 80
We have been full time for 8 years and have found insurance to be a yearly issue. Two big cost drivers are your home base address and if you have full replacement cost.

The first, home base doesn't make sense because you declare yourself as full time but the companies don't care. To check quotes find states that allow mailing services as permanent addresses. Use multiple mail service addresses in different states for your quotes. We picked Florida for tax reasons. The location of the mailing service in the state has a big impact on the rate as well, we found the best rate in central FL away from the coast.
The second is replacement cost, if you do not need this then there are more companies that will quote. Good Sam, FMCA and others are just agents and use mainly Progressive and National General and for replacement cost, I think these may be the only 2 big players. I know both of these companies will let you set your liability and personal belonging amounts. This year to get around the replacement cost issue I was able to set the insured amount for the RV which would be the replacement cost. For some reason this was more agreeable to them than saying replacement cost.
As I mentioned in the forum, all of these insurers raise your rates after the first year, we change every year so count on changing every year.
One last Item if you go the route of registering in Montana as an LCC your insurance rates will be much higher.
Hope this helps.
__________________
Andy and Maggie
2013 Anthem DEQ 2018 Cornerstone 45Y (Sold)
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
AMHTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:28 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Hayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Westborough, Ma
Posts: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grower15 View Post
This topic comes up at least 1 or 2x/ year. Recommend calling Ron Jarvie, Overland Insurance, (800) 677-4027. He specializes in RV insurance and can walk you though the peculiarities of full timers insurance. We’ve been full timing for 5 years and Ron has been very helpful. Many folks on the forum use him. There are also a few other brokers folks use. Others will probably pop up and post more info. We use Progressive and have been satisfied with them. Good luck in your search.
X2 !
__________________
Sue & Brian Ashworth & Rizzy( adopted Boxer)
2016 Anthem 44A, 2018 GMC Canyon Denali,
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:03 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
ECVB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 450
Thank you ,

I been using my parents home address as our permanent address in Texas , but i am in the process of looking at mailing services to see what makes sense to lower rates and taxes.

All good info here , thanks for chiming in




Quote:
Originally Posted by AMHTravelers View Post
We have been full time for 8 years and have found insurance to be a yearly issue. Two big cost drivers are your home base address and if you have full replacement cost.

The first, home base doesn't make sense because you declare yourself as full time but the companies don't care. To check quotes find states that allow mailing services as permanent addresses. Use multiple mail service addresses in different states for your quotes. We picked Florida for tax reasons. The location of the mailing service in the state has a big impact on the rate as well, we found the best rate in central FL away from the coast.
The second is replacement cost, if you do not need this then there are more companies that will quote. Good Sam, FMCA and others are just agents and use mainly Progressive and National General and for replacement cost, I think these may be the only 2 big players. I know both of these companies will let you set your liability and personal belonging amounts. This year to get around the replacement cost issue I was able to set the insured amount for the RV which would be the replacement cost. For some reason this was more agreeable to them than saying replacement cost.
As I mentioned in the forum, all of these insurers raise your rates after the first year, we change every year so count on changing every year.
One last Item if you go the route of registering in Montana as an LCC your insurance rates will be much higher.
Hope this helps.
__________________
2014 Entegra Anthem DEQ
2020 Jeep Gladiator
2017 Indian RoadMaster
ECVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:18 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECVB View Post
So i have a question on insurance for full timers. I am looking to change out my insurance to a different company that offers additional coverage than some of the basic coverage i Currently have.. Example this weekend my pup bite someone , and i was checking my coverage which does not cover this in the event i get sued. I been looking around online example Good Sam insurance which seems comprehensive but can be very pricy. Other scenario for coverage if they stole our personal items that are outside the RV example our E BIKES. AS it seems renters insurance would cover this but for an RV full timer it does not cover.





Here are some of the options from GOOD SAM , i got it quoted and it was like almost $600 plus a month ,....



Personal Liability for Full Timers – This is similar to vacation

liability and pays for injuries that happen around your RV or on your

property.



Medical Payments to Others – Covers the costs of medical expenses

incurred by those who are injured while visiting your RV and/or the

property around it.



Personal Belongings Coverage – As a full-timer, we know you’re

carrying most of your possessions with you. We offer up to $3,000 of

full replacement cost coverage at no extra cost to you.



Emergency Expense Allowance – The Good Sam Insurance Agency covers

the costs of food and lodging if you’re ever involved in a covered

claim more than 100 miles from home.

I am jus looking for insurance recommendations that would offer various levels of coverages .


I would look into Progressive Insurance. We pay right at $600 a year for full-timer coverage. Just after being insured with them for 6 months; I think literally by a matter of days (6 months is their probation period) we had an accident that cost them (Progressive) just over 10K in repair costs. It was also in conjunction with changing my policy from WA to CA which everyone knows CA is ridiculously expensive for insurance! Instead of my insurance going up which I fully expected, it actually went down a little bit. Not much but nonetheless it went down rather than up. One thing you want to make sure you get is the emergency funds in your policy in the event you have to get temporary lodging due to your rig being in the shop. I can’t remember the exact amount I have now without looking at my policy but I know it’s at least $7,000 to cover hotel costs etc if we were in an accident again. I didn’t even know about this coverage when we got into that accident which put us 3 weeks in a relatives spare room and hotels. At that time I found out I have like $1,500 and was excited about that which paid for a hotel for us for about a week. When I renewed my policy, I was sure to max that coverage out which I now have.
Chris n Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:56 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
ECVB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 450
So looks like its based on state to state . I had a long conversation with the Geico rep. Something similar to a homeowners policy would be called VACATION POLICY , but that is not offered in the state of Texas. So would still need to get a supplemental policy to cover anything external of the RV.

I canceled my Statefarm and will be moving over to Geico since it was almost 100 dollars cheaper a month to move over plus add my toad from USAA.

Other option would be to change residency over to another state so i can get the Vacation Policy.
__________________
2014 Entegra Anthem DEQ
2020 Jeep Gladiator
2017 Indian RoadMaster
ECVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:01 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
hdgoldie's Avatar


 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Gulf Cove, FL
Posts: 1,648
Whether full or part time, make sure you adequately insure your contents. We never thought you could lose everything in the coach - but we did. It was a rude awakening to find out how fast we maxed out our coverage. We now carry 4x that amount and wonder if we upped it enough.
__________________
Goldie & Rick
2019 Entegra Aspire 44B, 2014 G/C Summit
Dixie & Scruffy (furkids)
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:13 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
ECVB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 450
Good points , we did make sure to add in more than enough insurance for personal contents. The price increase is minimal , better to be safe than sorry , however most of our valuables have been left with relatives or been gifted to kids


Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgoldie View Post
Whether full or part time, make sure you adequately insure your contents. We never thought you could lose everything in the coach - but we did. It was a rude awakening to find out how fast we maxed out our coverage. We now carry 4x that amount and wonder if we upped it enough.
__________________
2014 Entegra Anthem DEQ
2020 Jeep Gladiator
2017 Indian RoadMaster
ECVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
full time, full timer, insurance



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FIRST-timers and FULL-timers at once! Looking for input KimballFam Class A Motorhome Discussions 24 04-26-2018 01:56 PM
First Timers, Full Timers, is this rig too big? huntpalmer Full-Timers 9 07-15-2012 07:35 AM
First Timers, Full Timers, is this rig too big? huntpalmer 5th Wheel Discussion 20 06-13-2012 03:20 PM
full timers insurance Hawkeye bus iRV2.com General Discussion 3 02-04-2012 03:51 PM
Canadian Full-timers - Insurance Question bcbounders Full-Timers 17 02-17-2009 03:30 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.