Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2013, 04:58 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Interior Lights ??

We toured seven Aspires at Lazy Days yesterday and forund more that half of the puck lights did not work and a few of the ceiling LED lights not working.

I know how much of a pain the 10W puck light bulbs are but to have 1/2 of them out after a short trip from the factory I thought was strange. Also saw a few of the ceiling LED lights out.....has this been normal with new Entegra coaches?

I would immediately get rid of the 10W G4 puck bulbs as they have doubled in price since I bought the TS and replace them with LEDS, but just curious if others have had light problems.

We also saw a couple of light panels that were not illuminated blue and white, have these been a problem?

The coaches we looked at could have been lot queens and had a lot of hours on the lights as well.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2013, 05:23 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
5 months into my Anthem, no ceiling lights out. I replaced all the puck light bulbs with LED's early on. One out of 22 replacements is beginning to flicker and may be going. So far, this is not an issue for me.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:26 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
We replaced most of our bulbs - no issues so far with lights but another issue I'll post in a new thread.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
The pucks did fail very quickly before we switched them. We replaced with LED's throughout. No problem with any of them so far. The lights on the control panels can be turned off. Could that have been what you were seeing?
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgoldie View Post
The pucks did fail very quickly before we switched them. We replaced with LED's throughout. No problem with any of them so far. The lights on the control panels can be turned off. Could that have been what you were seeing?
That is kind of what I figured on the puck lights. I buy mine bulk on the internet some don't last long at all and some have lasted forever. I will be changing to LED in the new coach, for sure. Which brightness did you change the puck lights to with the LED's?

Thanks for the info on the light panels....now I know.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Cheap LEDs

I have replaced all of my puck bulbs with these cheap LEDs - $1.19 and they work fine. G4 24 SMD 1210 LED Warm White RV Marine Boat Home CAR Light Lamp Bulb DC 12V | eBay
Old 08-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #7

IMO converting incandescent or florescent light fixtures to LEDs is not worth the added expense, (because of their relatively high cost, poor intensity and color quality).
I converted one and was "underwhelmed" with the result.

In my experience, by using "common sense electrical management", the charge of a house battery bank lasts a long time, (even when boondocking).

I don't have to "keep up with the Joneses", and spend unnecessary $$ to be a "happy camper".

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
10w Halogen bulbs vs LEDS

I have replaced most of my bulbs in my Aspire that were incandescent. As the post noted they burnt out at a crazy rate. The downside is they don't dim much. I found I didn't use the dimmer much and would turn them on or off. I left a few old bulbs (now with many replacements) for places like over the bed or couch where I want to dim.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Buying LED bulbs....in China!

This is kinda a side posting about buying LEDs.

In my job that I use to fund my RV habit I travel a lot in China. I go to Hong Kong, Shanghai, Shenzen, Guangzhou and I have searched around for LED lights. First of all LED lights are in nearly every marketplace and shop in China. There are literally entire blocks of stores only selling LED bulbs and LED tapes. Guangzhou is the largest city in China and is their equivalent to Pittsburgh for manufacturing. The trick is explaining in English (because I know little Chinese) that I am only interested in 12v, auto type, LEDs. They have zillions of LEDs and many voltages. Some 220v, some 5v, some 24v, so you have to know what you are looking for because most of the labeling is in Chinese. After you locate the type you like you have to shuck off the 10 guys trying to sell you other types of "lights you need" and examine the ones you like. Then begins the bartering. It is a Chinese way of life. Most Chinese guys will quote you 3x the going rate to see if you are dumb enough to pay it, so you have to start bartering and end up at 1/3 sticker price. Most often by walking away. Finally you have to turn on, wire, or try everything you buy because they sometimes will show you one product and get a box for another from the back. Few sellers will guarantee their products so it is buyer beware

Why did I explain all of this? I am an experienced China buyer and I only buy things in China that I am gambling will work and I don't spend much. When I bought RV LED puck light modules I bought them on eBay from (a Chinese vendor!) that warrantied them and sold them as 10-18v so they could handle RV variable voltage. Look for a vendor that will stand behind their product, even if it is a few dollars more because it will end up being cheaper.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
IMO converting incandescent or florescent light fixtures to LEDs is not worth the added expense, (because of their relatively high cost, poor intensity and color quality).
I converted one and was "underwhelmed" with the result.

In my experience, by using "common sense electrical management", the charge of a house battery bank lasts a long time, (even when boondocking).

I don't have to "keep up with the Joneses", and spend unnecessary $$ to be a "happy camper".

Mel
'96 Safari
Appreciate your thoughts, but we are dealing with puck lights that become extremely hot to the touch, and incandescent bulbs that can be hard to find and not inexpensive. If someone touches the bulb the life of the bulb is shortened.

So we are not "keeping up with the Joneses". We are dealing with what most of us consider a problem.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron @ HHI View Post
I have replaced all of my puck bulbs with these cheap LEDs - $1.19 and they work fine. G4 24 SMD 1210 LED Warm White RV Marine Boat Home CAR Light Lamp Bulb DC 12V | eBay
Also these bulbs have a 140 lumen output compared to initial 160 lumens for the 10w halogen which is mostly lost in heat energy. I had about 70 pucks in my TS and that equals 500 - 600 watts of heat - extra load on the marginal AC units. I'm a Electrical Engineer so CHEAP LEDs make sense to me.
Ron
Old 08-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #12

We also changed to LEDs because the halogens have a very short life AND put a lot of heat in the coach. We also think of it being very practical as we used cheaper LEDs, save the AC working so hard And they they are cool to the Touch and should last the life of the coach. Not about keeping up with the Jonses as far as we are concerned.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron @ HHI View Post
Do you know if these are "dim able?"
Old 08-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I posted this somewhere else today, I'll re-post it here.

I started looking into LEDs a little while back. It is a jungle out there. LEDs with the same Kelvin rating from different manufacturers will NOT be the same.

I was ordering one and two at a time just to see. There is a lot of junk out there. My conclusion is to buy from more standardized lines like Revolutution by Star Lights or Ming. I replaced the lights in my vanity with (3) Revolution 2099-270F bulbs. The are perfect. A little big, but perfect lighting.

I'm working on 8 new tires right now and will be continuing LED purchases when that is over. Till then my advice is to stay with those lines and just order 1 or 2 FIRST to make sure you like them. If you do, you can order more.

NOT ALL LEDS are dim-able.

Tags
lights