Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2017, 08:19 PM   #1

Inverter

My first experience trying to operate Inverter has me a little confused. When I first turned both of them on, seemed like all was ok but quickly got a low battery indication. Now, coach has been sitting for over three weeks at shop where they fixed exactly ZERO things in a long list I provided to them when I bought this 2014 four weeks ago. Going on trip tomorrow. No dash A/C is the worst since I'm going to high desert. I'll run roof air though so not a disaster!

I started coach and fired up generator.

As for Inverter (because I wanted to turn on fridge overnight, no access to 110v) I got this indication: 14.0V/129A & 14.1V & 109A.

Does this sound normal?
ButchT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2017, 09:07 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Normal for deeply discharged batteries being charged. That is the charger in both inverters working at full capacity (with generator running). Sounds like dealer may never have had you plugged in? The good news is there was enough juice left to start the generator.

Batteries will get close to flat in about 3 weeks with no shore power even if battery disconnect is turned off (due to vampire loads from inverter remotes).

With all systems running expect batteries to carry you for about 12 hours before needing to run the genset.

Without shore power to charge your batteries you should run the generator for several hours, if not overnight, if you want to get the fridge cooled down while attempting to get the house batteries on their way to a full charge.

Dealer may have possibly irreversibly damaged your batteries if they have been left in a deeply discharged state for an extended period. Unfortunately a common situation. You might want to be gathering evidence to build your case for a new set of batteries should they prove to be damaged down the road.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:12 PM   #3

Thank you. I'm guessing you're exactly right. They had coach for 23 days. I'm driving for 5 hours tomorrow and will have gen on for awhile because dash air is out. One of the things they didn't fix during the 23 days. When I store next time for an extended period of time, should I disconnect house batteries at neg terminal? Would a battery disconnect switch (like boats have) work?
Old 02-22-2017, 09:28 PM   #4

Just wondering, which dealer are you talking about? I would like to know for future reference. Thanks.
tkmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmcdon View Post
Just wondering, which dealer are you talking about? I would like to know for future reference. Thanks.

Mike Thompson's in Fountain Valley, CA. They don't deal in Entegra's but I bought it off their lot. They are a nightmare! Check out their Yelp comments. Once I get all these things fixed for free, I'm never ever going back. They had a list of 10 "make ready" items after I bought it. In 23 days, they may have done 3 things, none of them good!
Old 02-22-2017, 10:35 PM   #6

Duly noted! I'll put Mike Thompson on the "Do Not Buy From" list. Thanks again.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:21 AM   #7

Congrats Butch. You just bought the nicest unit on their lot. Being a little sarcastic but here's my point...unless a dealer has high end electric coaches on their lot regularly they won't be accustomed to their needs. They need to be plugged in or have regular charge cycles. Not because you're running the gen anyway, but because you have a charge routine.

If the inverters are on, it needs to be plugged in or have 2 1/2 hours of gen time each morning and night. Otherwise the house batteries will discharge and eventually will be irreversibly damaged.

I came from a more conventional DP and it took me a while to become accustomed to this idea. I get it now. Keep it plugged in or run the generator. Find a service provider that understands as well. Ask them,"do all your electric rigs there for services stay plugged in"? If not, move onward and upward.

Sorry, I can't recommend a shop in Southern California that I trust to do this.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:31 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchT View Post
Thank you. I'm guessing you're exactly right. They had coach for 23 days. I'm driving for 5 hours tomorrow and will have gen on for awhile because dash air is out. One of the things they didn't fix during the 23 days. When I store next time for an extended period of time, should I disconnect house batteries at neg terminal? Would a battery disconnect switch (like boats have) work?
Ideally, even a 120 volt 15 amp shore power connection would do the trick, but if that's not possible disconnecting the batteries neg terminals would be the best way to go. That will be inconvenient at best, so going thru the pain of installing a marine style cut of switch in the house battery negatives would make that a simple task.

Entegra stated installing factory cut off switches in 2017.

Safe travels!
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:54 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes depending on many things that does indeed sound normal

you let your batteries run down to the level, where they can accept max charge, so they suck everything the Inverter can put out when you fire up the generator.
WIthout knowing more about your batteries and inverters I can not say much more. but I've seen mine hit 100+ when the batteries were run down. This is well within limits for my battery bank.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:04 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had solar charging on the three coaches I have had. One nice thing is that I don't have to worry about batteries not being charged when somewhere for maintenance.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:57 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
My first experience trying to operate Inverter has me a little confused. When I first turned both of them on, seemed like all was ok but quickly got a low battery indication. Now, coach has been sitting for over three weeks at shop where they fixed exactly ZERO things in a long list I provided to them when I bought this 2014 four weeks ago. Going on trip tomorrow. No dash A/C is the worst since I'm going to high desert. I'll run roof air though so not a disaster!

I started coach and fired up generator.

As for Inverter (because I wanted to turn on fridge overnight, no access to 110v) I got this indication: 14.0V/129A & 14.1V & 109A.

Does this sound normal?
Your chargers in the inverter panels are both set to 100% rate of charge which is too high. Both inverters should be set to 90% for the proper combined rate of charge of about 200 amps. Also is 14.1v the highest it got to? If so then your battery type is also wrong. It should be set to AGM2 at the very least and then if you would like better settings than that send me a PM.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmcdon View Post
Duly noted! I'll put Mike Thompson on the "Do Not Buy From" list. Thanks again.
Put giant rv on your list also to never go too. There just as bad... I had a motorhome there for 2 months with the same story.. I'd go to the new Entegra in Phoenix if it were me and you live in a bordering state...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Mike Thompson's in Fountain Valley, CA. They don't deal in Entegra's but I bought it off their lot. They are a nightmare! Check out their Yelp comments. Once I get all these things fixed for free, I'm never ever going back. They had a list of 10 "make ready" items after I bought it. In 23 days, they may have done 3 things, none of them good!
Just some advice ...
I would get your coach and run... they will end up ruining more than fixing..
So your free repairs will cost you down the road... they are toy hauler techs not
Diesel pusher techs..
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejug View Post
Put giant rv on your list also to never go too. There just as bad... I had a motorhome there for 2 months with the same story.. I'd go to the new Entegra in Phoenix if it were me and you live in a bordering state...

Giant RV is also noted. Thanks. This will help me avoid the dealer land mines out there when we finally pull the trigger on a new Entegra. [emoji851][emoji106]

Tags
inverter