Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2018, 06:28 AM   #15

yes, agreed - the LBCO setting provides you the ability to keep the INVERTER from drawing down the batteries too far if you lose shore power, or the AGS fails to kick the generator on.... this is a nice back up to your back up(AGS)... but, remember, 12v items don't run thru the Inverter, and therefore can still contribute to battery drainage, even with the LBCO setting - but, at least you know the Inverter won't be the culprit.

as far as the Inverter staying 'ON', I can't remember a time when ours was off, though we've always had our coach in 'storage' with at least 15a power provided.

Some folks turn the Inverter on and off all the time for various reasons, but my thought is that unless you are storing with no external power, there's really no need to turn it off.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2018, 07:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHoGo View Post
Matt,

If I am reading your post right the LBCO would cut off the batteries before they drain to a point where they would be damaged. Sounds good.
Jim, as MisterT said, it only controls Inverter function.

In general, Im pretty confident Ill be checking on the coach before parasitic 12V losses could kill the bank.

Excepting the normal storage routines, we have confidence in the LBCO to act as a safeguard if we lose shore power. The nice thing is, I have a bedside clock as a telltale for power losses. If I check the coach and its flashing, weve lost power. I can compare the time displayed against the actual time to determine total time without power. It has never been more than a couple of hours at the worst.

In 7 years at the same facility, that has happened just a couple of times.

Fortunately, the LBCO saves the bank from deep discharges, and re-energizes when power is restored so it keeps things in the fridge cold.

When camping, we leave the Inverter on all the time, and set the AGS. Periodically, we leave our PUP alone so he can catch up on beauty rest. Id hate for the A/Cs not to come on.

Id ask other Anthem owners how they manage as the Vegatouch and dual inverters may use different settings than we do.

Best Regards,

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:07 AM   #17

When I park mine for more than a couple of days, everything gets shutdown and the coach batteries disconnected . For winter storage the chassis batteries are also disconnected. The fridge gets emptied and shutdown as well. It is a little more work, but I have never had a battery problem doing it this way.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:48 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Just a couple of additions to note:

1) When connected to shore power and the inverter is on, it actually goes into standby mode and the shore AC is passed thru the Magnum internal transfer switch. If shore power is lost the inverter instantly takes over and starts consuming battery power. So if storing connected to shore power and nothing perishable in the fridge it might be prudent to turn the inverter off.

2) If storing without shore power for more than a few days simply turning the inverters off at the Magnum panel still leaves a significant vampire drain of about 400 mA for each inverter (even if the salesman switch is also off). That will result in a 50% discharged battery in less than 20 days. The 2017 and newer Entegra's have inverter cutoff switches in the passenger side bay just forward of the wet bay. Turn these switches to OFF to prevent the above battery drain during long term storage.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:45 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
yes, agreed - the LBCO setting provides you the ability to keep the INVERTER from drawing down the batteries too far if you lose shore power, or the AGS fails to kick the generator on.... this is a nice back up to your back up(AGS)... but, remember, 12v items don't run thru the Inverter, and therefore can still contribute to battery drainage, even with the LBCO setting - but, at least you know the Inverter won't be the culprit.

as far as the Inverter staying 'ON', I can't remember a time when ours was off, though we've always had our coach in 'storage' with at least 15a power provided.

Some folks turn the Inverter on and off all the time for various reasons, but my thought is that unless you are storing with no external power, there's really no need to turn it off.
There is a good reason for turning the inverter off. Many of us leave the coach un-monitored for days or weeks at a time. If external power is lost, the inverter will draw down your batteries as it tries to supply your coach with AC power. Unless you are checking your power status at least daily, it could easily drain your batteries to the LBCO voltage, where it will stay until power is restored. The longer the batteries stay in this low voltage state, the more likely they are to sulphate and permanently lose battery capacity. Turning your inverter(s) off only takes seconds and will prevent this from happening, or at least greatly slow the process.

At my old storage facility, the circuit breaker was shared among several stored coaches. If one of these coaches drew too much power the breaker popped, and all of them lost power at once. The breaker was in a locked cabinet so the user could not reset it. It often stayed off for days or weeks until someone got the manager to reset it. This is an example of why power once lost may not be restored for days or weeks..
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:31 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
I store with the inverters off. Battery chargers seem to cycle between the two, but the batteries stay charged. (20 amp circuit)
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:53 AM   #21

I store with charger and inverter on. Our coach is in the shop at the office. While I do no physically check the coach, I do see it every day.

When taking the coach in for service, I will turn everything off and throw the disconnects. If something that needs working on requires any of the disconnects be reconnected the tech will know (hopefully).
Old 02-07-2018, 09:13 AM   #22

SOB, with a MS2812. Our Inverter has been on 7/24, other then a few times when doing maintenance on the battery or electrical systems. We store besides the garage of rental house next to our vacation house. Leave the fridge on.

20A outlet. And the MS2812 should have pass thru when on shore/generator power, so inverter basically is off even when on. LBCO and AGS set just a bit higher then most. (And, I test these yearly. Turn of our Solar Controller and unplug the coach the night before and the next day the Generator will usually kick in between 10:00AM to 12:00PM timeframe.).

While I also leave our solar on also, due structure shading where we park, we get about 3 1/2-4 hours of good sun a day.

We've had at least four times in the last 5 years, where power outages have lasted over two hours. So the inverter protects what is left in the fridge at that time. (And that can vary, as quite common for home overflow to be staged in that fridge. Like for the holiday's, it's holding lots of staged food, including most years the turkey for Thanksgiving and X-mass!)

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter