Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2021, 06:05 AM   #1

Inverter - House Batteries

Good morning
We purchased a 2019 Anthem last week. My Vega screen is showing
Warning: inverter Fault
Inverter 1: High Battery
Is an inverter issue or house battery?
The house battery is showing 9 but will occasionally show 12.9
TIA
WPBFR 467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2021, 06:26 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
What batteries do you have?
Are they flooded?
Have you checked the water?
Where and how are you reading the voltage 9 and 12.9?
Do you have a BMS (Battery Monitoring System)?
What inverter do you have?
Do you have solar or other charging sources?
Is this happening with the engine running, on grid power, or with no engine and no grid power?

I wouldn't rely upon readings from the inverter remote if that is what you are using.

9 volts. Very bad, this will reduce the useful life of your batteries. If this is the case get your batteries charged ASAP. Don't leave it like this for weeks or months. Go get a cheap car battery charge if you have to. It will take a while but it will get them charged if they can still hold a charge.

12.9volts, maybe a charger is trying to charge the batteries and then stops. If your batteries are really as discharged as 9V indicates this is about the highest voltage any charging source could probably reach.

High voltage fault won't occur below 16v on most inverters. So if it is high voltage it much more than 12.9.

There is no way to help you identify this problem without more information.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:21 AM   #3

Well 9 volts at any time is a definite problem if it is real. My suggestion, go to Harbor Freight and for somewhere between $15 and $60, you can buy a real, live, volt ohm meter that will actually tell you the voltage independently of the VegaTouch system. Right now, you don't know what to believe and when to believe it. With the volt/ohm/meter basic unit, you can read the voltage directly and compare to what you are seeing inside. If you buy anything, for about $50 you can buy very good digital volt meter that will do that job and a bunch of other diagnostic thing that will fail around your coach.

An auto-ranging DVM is an essential piece of diagnostic equipment on any coach I own.

A real voltage of 9 volts on those batteries would suggest a serious problem.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 08:41 AM   #4

Gary
I will be investing in volt meter. If the house batteries are bad, will that affect all electric 110 and 12v? Even on shore power and genset, lights dim and flicker. I am coming out of an “Old School Country Coach”. New technology is a challenge. It,s my understanding everything flows through inverters on newer coaches. With that being said, we have 2 Magna Sine Hybrid inverters. Original house and chassis batteries. Have read that factory batteries are less than stellar as they can be charged and discharged several times during production.
Thanks
Old 11-27-2021, 09:39 AM   #5

Your lights are 12 volts, even on generator/shore power.

I think you have a bad , loose battery connection. That will give you erratic readings.

Check each connection on the batteries, the inverter/charger fuse, and all negative connections. If you have a disconnect for the inverter cable, check that.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 10:31 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPBFR 467 View Post
Gary
I will be investing in volt meter. If the house batteries are bad, will that affect all electric 110 and 12v? Even on shore power and genset, lights dim and flicker. I am coming out of an “Old School Country Coach”. New technology is a challenge. It,s my understanding everything flows through inverters on newer coaches. With that being said, we have 2 Magna Sine Hybrid inverters. Original house and chassis batteries. Have read that factory batteries are less than stellar as they can be charged and discharged several times during production.
Thanks
Sorry to say, many 19's here on the forum the batteries have already failed. One owner took delivery that same time I took delivery of mine. Both right off the production line and he has already had to replace his batteries.

A battery(s) with a shorted cell can cause all kind of problems just as any short in an electric system can. Hopefully it is just a loose connection.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:43 AM   #7

I have removed battery cover, kind of tight in there. Will check terminal tightness but I feel the batteries are shot. If house batteries are bad, will this also affect 120v? Reason I am asking, since this started yesterday, refrig and microwave not on even when plugged in or genset running.
Old 11-27-2021, 12:10 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I have removed battery cover, kind of tight in there. Will check terminal tightness but I feel the batteries are shot. If house batteries are bad, will this also affect 120v? Reason I am asking, since this started yesterday, refrig and microwave not on even when plugged in or genset running.
It would take good batteries to produce 120V from the inverter.
Old 11-27-2021, 12:18 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
It takes good 12v power for the inverters to pass through 120v AC for the fridge or microwave while on shore power or generator power. Put a voltmeter on each house battery and see what voltage each one is at. Also as Twinboat suggested check for loose connections in the 12v system and lines going to the inverters.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 12:30 PM   #10

If you are plugged into commercial main power then you should be powering everything without worrying about 12 volts. Your Magnum Inverter/chargers have a bypass circuit that will bypass most of the 120 volt system if plugged into commercial.

The private information on here says you have a 2019 Anthem. I believe you have two Magnum inverters.... a 2,000 watt unit and a 3,000 watt unit. If you are plugged into commercial power, your refrig should be powered by the bypass circuit of the MAGNUMS and commercial mains.. if you are not connected to commercial mains, then you should be powering your refrig from your house battery banks 12 volt power that is converted/inverted to 120 VAC power.

Tell me, what is working and what is not.

Also, look at the VegaTouch main screen, and put your finger gently on the inverter icon and hold it there.... the screen should change to show what each inverter is doing... on off charging, inverting, not inverting, whatever. Tell us what you see.

or PM me and I will give you my cell number and we can talk you through the diagnostics.

My coach is in the driveway and I can go to it and look at the same screens that you are looking at and walk you through the main issues.

GRY
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 12:56 PM   #11

Thanks everyone
I will get back to ya’ll after I check what everybody has suggested
Thanks again
Old 11-28-2021, 05:09 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
@twinboat has a good guess.
I have also had bad ANL fuses. They can get loose internally and cause all sorts of confusion.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:40 PM   #13

Good afternoon
An update to inverter-batteries issue. Pulled all for house batteries and they showed 6 volts. When load tested they dropped immediately to 3-4 volts each. Replacing all four Thursday. Should solve issues. Will y’all know
Thanks everyone who responded.
Old 11-29-2021, 02:46 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Good afternoon
An update to inverter-batteries issue. Pulled all for house batteries and they showed 6 volts. When load tested they dropped immediately to 3-4 volts each. Replacing all four Thursday. Should solve issues. Will y’all know
Thanks everyone who responded.
Glad that fixed the problem, but sorry to hear the newer batteries have such a short life span. I have a set of them too.

Tags
batteries, house batteries, inverter