Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2017, 07:41 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Inverter problems resolved.

Helped a friend with 2017 Anthem having inverter troubles. One of the inverters would not operate from time to time and this time no amount of resets fixed it.

To make a long story short determined there was no power to the primary DC inputs at the Inverter (big fat black and red cables that go direct to the battery).

That meant either a bad cable, a blown Class T fuse inside the battery compartment, or a bad on/off switch - the marine style round switch in the electrical bay (new in 2017).

Switch was easiest to get at so pulled panel and found both of the heavy lug bolts on both of the round switches were very loose. Looked to me like they had only been hand tightened and on the non working inverter there was a 1/4" gap between the nut and the seat. Tightened things up and all came back to life.

So if you have a 2017 and are seeing odd inverter behavior check those lug bolts at the round on/off switches.

During the troubleshooting we also determined that Inverter 1 at the round switch actually fed the Inverter 2 labeled breakers (above driver seat) and vise versa. Also it appeared that the smaller inverter MS2012 fed the fridge and microwave and the larger MS2812 fed the outlets - not sure yet if that is the intended design.
voltdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2017, 07:58 AM   #2

Thanks for telling folks!
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Also it appeared that the smaller inverter MS2012 fed the fridge and microwave and the larger MS2812 fed the outlets - not sure yet if that is the intended design.
I agree, that doesn't seem right. Given the word, "yet", seems like you must have a call in to CS to find out.

Good info, thanks!
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:40 PM   #4

Some of the main panels above the drivers seat were wired incorrectly from the factory. Take a look at the attached and your panels. We had to swap the wires on the inverter breakers.

Good to know about the loose lugs. We will be taking a look at ours..! Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AC Phase Fix (2).pdf (110.7 KB, 140 views)
Magic-carpet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:38 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-carpet View Post
Some of the main panels above the drivers seat were wired incorrectly from the factory. Take a look at the attached and your panels. We had to swap the wires on the inverter breakers.

Good to know about the loose lugs. We will be taking a look at ours..! Thanks.
Hey great, thanks for that document, assume that's from Entegra? I'll double check on my friends coach, but on the AC side I believe his labels are as shown in the document and the small inverter (#2) powers the fridge and microwave, so that appears to be as it should. However it must be the DC switches are miswired (or mislabeled), because the round inverter switch marked inverter #1 controls the small inverter which is inverter #2 on the AC side.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:45 PM   #6

Great info, thanks for sharing !!
Boyd R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Hey great, thanks for that document, assume that's from Entegra? I'll double check on my friends coach, but on the AC side I believe his labels are as shown in the document and the small inverter (#2) powers the fridge and microwave, so that appears to be as it should. However it must be the DC switches are miswired (or mislabeled), because the round inverter switch marked inverter #1 controls the small inverter which is inverter #2 on the AC side.
Yes, that document came from Entegra.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:14 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Good catch Rob, I bet there was some good sparking going on at that disconnect with the cables that loose.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:54 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Good catch Rob, I bet there was some good sparking going on at that disconnect with the cables that loose.
Don, yes I imagine there was and the contact area on the inner edges of the lug hole had charred a bit preventing contact, hence the failure after a bouncy day on the road. In general though the normal flat side mating surfaces of the lug and post were clean so all was well when tightened up.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Update

OK, so I went back to our friends Anthem (2017 about a month old) and I was mistaken - he does have the incorrect label on the Inverter output breakers as shown in the photo.

According to the updated label sent by Magic-Carpet (thanks again!), the "red" inverter output breakers should be Inverter #2.

The good news is that all that is wrong (in this case) are the AC breaker labels, once those are updated then the number on the BlueSea inverter battery switches, inverters and breakers will all match correctly.

Also, based on the document diagram, Inverter #2 is the smaller MS2012 inverter and is the one that is intended to be powering the Fridge, Microwave and cab area outlets.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:59 AM   #11

Quote:
OK, so I went back to our friends Anthem (2017 about a month old) and I was mistaken - he does have the incorrect label on the Inverter output breakers as shown in the photo.

According to the updated label sent by Magic-Carpet (thanks again!), the "red" inverter output breakers should be Inverter #2.

The good news is that all that is wrong (in this case) are the AC breaker labels, once those are updated then the number on the BlueSea inverter battery switches, inverters and breakers will all match correctly.

Also, based on the document diagram, Inverter #2 is the smaller MS2012 inverter and is the one that is intended to be powering the Fridge, Microwave and cab area outlets.
Hi Rob,

The document is from back in mid summer 2016. There were a few coaches built with the main wiring switched. When it is corrected it resulted in the labeling on the subpanels to be incorrect. Inverter #1 should be the 2812 and I believe that's the correct one for the refer circuit.

I believe your labels are correct. It would probably be best to contact CS and double check.

Jeanne
Old 03-10-2017, 07:54 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-carpet View Post
Hi Rob,

The document is from back in mid summer 2016. There were a few coaches built with the main wiring switched. When it is corrected it resulted in the labeling on the subpanels to be incorrect. Inverter #1 should be the 2812 and I believe that's the correct one for the refer circuit.

I believe your labels are correct. It would probably be best to contact CS and double check.

Jeanne
Ok thanks for the clarification. There are techs here in Chandler maybe I can find someone with the right knowledge. As it is now there is something out of whack because inverter 1 battery switch controls inverter 2 labeled loads and vise versa. Also I have verified that it is the small inverter that currently powers the fridge and microwave - the big question is if that's correct, the rest is just labeling, Will look at another 2017 also and compare.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:48 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
In conclusion...

Ok, so talked to the techs and here's the scoop.

Inverter 1 = big 2800w inverter
Inverter 2 = small 2000w inverter

Inverter 1 (2800) is supposed to feed the fridge and microwave loads.

In conclusion, on this Anthem the panel labels are correct, but the small 2000w inverter is feeding what are supposed to be the 2800w inverter loads. Apparently the circuits are crossed at the inverter outputs.

An appointment has been made in Middlebury to get that corrected.

Here's a diagram of how this coach is incorrectly wired.

https://goo.gl/photos/V3dbue1R5Lt3ezZK8
Old 03-11-2017, 09:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Ok, so talked to the techs and here's the scoop.

Inverter 1 = big 2800w inverter
Inverter 2 = small 2000w inverter

Inverter 1 (2800) is supposed to feed the fridge and microwave loads.

In conclusion, on this Anthem the panel labels are correct, but the small 2000w inverter is feeding what are supposed to be the 2800w inverter loads. Apparently the circuits are crossed at the inverter outputs.

An appointment has been made in Middlebury to get that corrected.

Here's a diagram of how this coach is incorrectly wired.

https://goo.gl/photos/V3dbue1R5Lt3ezZK8
Thanks for the clarification on this issue. Everything should still function until they get the chance to swap the wiring. They might tax the 2012 inverter if they are running the microwave without firing up the generator or plugged into shore power.

Tags
ems, inverter, problems