Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2015, 07:56 PM   #1

Is a trip to Alaska on your Bucket List?

DW and I went on a cruise to Alaska several years ago out of Vancouver. It was pretty cool but being on a cruise we didn't get too far inland. DW and I have always wanted to go to Alaska via road trip. I know it is more practical to fly to Anchorage and rent but we want to take in the whole experience starting in the Canadian Rockies. It would be nice to have a few RVers with us to share the experience. With the fuel prices lower this year this may be a great time to go. We are thinking about going to Kerrville, TX for the Entegra Rally and going from there. We definitely want to see Glacier National Park on our way up. We are planning on coming back down through Seattle and going on down the Pacific Coast. Does this intrigue anyone to join us?
Dawg44b is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2015, 08:31 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
It is definitely high on my bucket list, but this year is looking pretty busy already....
Jersimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:40 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
If you are going that way take the Banff/Jasper Parkway. And bring lots of film or SD cards.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
If you are going that way take the Banff/Jasper Parkway. And bring lots of film or SD cards.
Being our first trip to Alaska We would appreciate any information where to stay, things to do,etc. We are planning on starting at Glacier National Park and head up to Dawson Creek,BC and go from there.
Dawg44b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:28 PM   #5

Go online and get info from the State of Alaska for our trip planning. You need to plan well ahead of time. Normal travel times are mid May to mid Sept. Have been up twice and will probably go again in 2016-17.
My only advice is that the larger coaches need to travel at a slower pace than you may be used to. The roads can be rough and you will beat it to death at higher speeds. Lots of big rigs getting their slides adjusted when they return to Canada. Be careful, have fun and don't rush, for goodness sakes you're on VACATION!
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:50 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
It is on our bucket list as well but not in our plans as of this year, unfortunately. When we were at the Rally on the Chesapeake last fall, we met another Entegra couple who used to be a wagonmaster for caravans of RVs going to Alaska. He gave us an old copy of The Milepost, which is a magazine about everything you need to know going to Alaska and would be invaluable in planning a trip. You can also get info online here. I introduced them to irv2 and this forum, but don't know if they ever joined. Have a wonderful time and report back to us!
Flora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:54 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Last summer we took a trip that might fit the first part of yours.

Hill City, SD (Black Hills, Rushmore, Custer State Park)

Medora, ND (T Roosevelt NP - A not well known amazing park and a terrific nightly show. We normally don't do shows but this was great)

Canmore, AB

Jasper, AB

On our way back we hit the east and west sides of Glacier. If we did it again, we'd probably miss the east side.

The capital and state museum in Helena was a great surprise.

Going down the coast of Oregon, we stayed at Sea Perch in Yachats, OR. Wow what a gem. (Thank Marc) Reserve now to have a shot at one of the 9 ocean front sites.)

Grant's Pass to see Crater Lake and fish the Rogue River.

Southern Utah needed a month at least and we wound up at the Balloon Festival.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:02 AM   #8

Not on mine - but on DWs, which I guess means it is somewhere on mine as well. I was there in the military - been there done that. We are doing the cruise thing this July leaving out of Vancouver.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:12 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
This April we are returning to Alaska for our third trip. We are entering through Sumas WA and returning through Calgary AB in late September.

Not too many normal Rver's are on the road to and from Alaska at that time so we usually go it alone.

But if anyone is adventuresome and would like to tag along we'd be happy to travel with you.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:25 PM   #10

Alaska and deep Yukon first big trip ill take.. Have a good friend mining in Yukon.. He even promised to clear 5 miles to get the rig to his place. We plan to spend summer and winter with him . He has a heated shop for the Baby to winter in.. Can't wait
Old 02-04-2015, 05:35 PM   #11

Went about three years ago. Would not recommend going in a nice Entegra coach as it will get beat to death. I purchased a real nice coachman full wall slide motor home for 55000, put 13000 miles or more and sold it for 53000 when I got back. My blue ox tow bar broke and almost lost my tow vehicle. Blue ox gave a me a new one at no charge. Think long and hard before putting your high dollar coach thru that.
papadoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:27 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry Dawg. What you describe is exactly what I've been telling DW I want to do but that four letter word still stops me....WORK......I plan on doing your bucket list trip in about 5 years when I finally be retired.

Enjoy your trip, take some nice pics for us on the home front.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:36 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
It's not on my list, too afraid that I would end up with this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	85216

Love Alaska, but prefer the lazy ocean cruising way!
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:37 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We always fly and rent. Put 3,000 miles on the last trip.
We have a large family group in and around Anchorage so we generally spend a couple of months May till whenever.
We have a big 40 footer HR here in the US but after pricing the fuel we thought about the barge--cost about the same as driving and were forced to sleep on the deck due to safety concerns.
So this year it looks like another fly and rent.
The country never seems to leave me breathless.
Go slow and have fun
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote